1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Mitch I went with the warbonnet winter mamba tq and the winter yeti uq which saved me a lot of weight.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    My pack will probably be somewhere around 25 lbs and good to 0F. Considering bringing a frozen steak to cook on the fire Saturday night.
    I skipped the steak, and my pack was 16 lbs with 2 days of food and no water. I used the GoLite Ultra 20 Short* for a top quilt and it worked well at the temps we saw...low of 28F. I had a DIY hammock w/o bug net and the Winter Yeti on bottom. Not a whole lot of extra clothes b/c it was just an overnighter, and the MontBell ThermaWrap for worn insulation. I'll post a more complete gear list when I get the page posted.

* I'm 5'10" and ~175 lbs and the short model worked fine on this trip, even though it's not rated for my height. I could feel the bottom of the footbox and I didn't have any extra height, but having a 19 oz quilt good to 20F is great...especially at $140 or whatever I paid for it.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I ended up way over packed - I'm fairly sure our DIY UQ's are good to 0, and probably lower, so I was actually sweating most of the night.

I find it kind of awesome that I have gotten to the point where I go camping at 4 or 5 degrees below freezing, and end up sweating. Not bad for an Atlanta boy.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    I went for a 3 day 2 night trip last winter...
    My fully loaded pack (including food and water) was 25.5lb and that set up was good down to 0*f
    I also was carrying a large knife (RC 6) and others extras that probably would equal 2 lbs.
    I think you're doing just fine
    Sounds like my normal Winter pack weight. Mt Rogers on the other hand was too heavy for my 50lb scale. Those darned pot luck dinners in the middle of a backpack trip will add some weight!

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    The timing here worked out to be perfect - today I swung by the Mont Bell flagship store in Boulder, and what do you know - they had an ultralight 800 fill 15 degree bag on clearance. Score!

That ought to shave at least half a pound off my pack weight, and be a heck of a lot more compressible too.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Good on ya! That's timing. Now you just have to cut off the hood and turn it into a quilt like we talked about!

Or at a minimum, you'll have to take another trip soon so you can test it out.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Good on ya! That's timing. Now you just have to cut off the hood and turn it into a quilt like we talked about!
    Actually, I think I'd try that with the cheaper REI bag I got at scratch-n-dent instead

Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    for me, 32*F to 0*F
    below 0*F requires additional equipment
    That stretches across seasons for me. May thru October, my area's nighttime lows run from low-20's to high-40's (below 7000'). I target 12 pounds base weight and usually end up a tad over 15. Although I've not tested it out, I think if I incorporated my sit pad into the sleep system I could probably get down into the low teens without any more pack weight.

Below that, "requires additional equipment."

FB

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddleback View Post
    That stretches across seasons for me. May thru October, my area's nighttime lows run from low-20's to high-40's (below 7000'). I target 12 pounds base weight and usually end up a tad over 15. Although I've not tested it out, I think if I incorporated my sit pad into the sleep system I could probably get down into the low teens without any more pack weight.

Below that, "requires additional equipment."

FB
    Nice and light....great job!

yea, my 3 season temps cover 45*F to mid 70's (no elevation in Indiana higher than 700' ) and total packweight for this is 18-20#

you bring up a good point....define "Winter Hammocking"!! below 40* for me, YRMV
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Seems to me that since a fire is optional (I very seldomly build one) both a huge knife and a saw is also optional.

In my opinion, there's no way to get a winter hammock set up even close in weight to sleeping on the ground, but some other people may have better winter gear than me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast