Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY (&c.)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    My latest hammock is using Scott's 1.1 material in a single layer, and I'm 220lbs.
    How would you describe the stretch in comparison to other materials?

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Skye View Post
    How would you describe the stretch in comparison to other materials?
    Hopefully JohnSawyer will see and comment on his experience. I have been using both the Olive and the Camo mostly for quilts so I don't have a lot of hammock stretch experience with it. Also, I only weigh in at 165 anyway, so the stretch factor wasn't much for me on the one hammock I've made with the stuff.

I can tell you it's the higher end type 66, high tenacity yarn - as opposed to the lower quality type 6. So, it should have the same stretch as any hammock made with higher end 1.1oz ripstop nylon.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

I've been using a single layer 1.1 that I made out of the camo for about 2 weeks now, and find the amount of stretch that it has to be comfortable. I much prefer it over the dual 1.1 I first made (using some fabric that is very similar to the olive Scott has.). I weigh about 160 myself, so YMMV, but too little stretch seems to me to create tighter tension lines across the less weighted areas (which probably isn't an issue if you're a back sleeper, but I'm not). I think the stretch depends on the weave also, because it seems to have about exactly the same stretch as a 1.7oz/sy polyester hammock I made, which I posted about concerning a stretch elongation issue, which I suspect is due to a loose weave style.

The only issue I've noticed with the 1.1 camo, is the fact that in the light tan areas, there seems to be a higher tendency toward thread stretch out, like where pressure has been applied and still shows in the weave. I'm not sure this is an issue though. I flip, flop, and bounce around all night long and it's holding up so far.

Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    Hopefully JohnSawyer will see and comment on his experience. I have been using both the Olive and the Camo mostly for quilts so I don't have a lot of hammock stretch experience with it. Also, I only weigh in at 165 anyway, so the stretch factor wasn't much for me on the one hammock I've made with the stuff.

I can tell you it's the higher end type 66, high tenacity yarn - as opposed to the lower quality type 6. So, it should have the same stretch as any hammock made with higher end 1.1oz ripstop nylon.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Here's my story: I HAD a 9' long 1.9 DIY that I loved, but as I found the right amount of sag, my feet hung out over the edge.

Based on recommendations from here, I decided to make an eleven-footer from "whatever I had laying about" to see if it was better. The intent was to make a test hammock, and then get some 1.9 for the permanent solution.

I used the WBBB style whipping, and am very happy. I've slept in it 3 times: twice in the back yard, once in the mountains. I've had no issues, but I am concerned with durability. Stretch isn't a big deal, but that might have something to do with the fact that I have a LOT of sag.

As a test, my 75lb son crawled into the hammock with me with no issues.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably make a double layer. The fabric is also more comfortable on the skin than the 1.9...

Based on that, I now have to go make a new hammock cover/bugnet (a-la-Sclittlefield) since this darn thing is so long... It also barely fits my hammock stand and my tarp! Ugh... now I have to go make all new gear, and gift the old stuff to my kids!

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    I got mine last night and I love it. I'm really excited to start sewing on it. The lines are there but you have to look for them.

What kind of thread is best to use with it?

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    All the experts here say to use 100% polyester thread. You don't need anything special. Gutterman's is a good brand.

That's all I've used. I did try heavy-duty thread, but it was a pain, and I'd rather not use it again...

I even made my tarp with the general-purpose thread with no issues...

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    I finished a tarp made from this stuff. 9.75x12 with 12 tie out loops, it weighs 16oz and stuffs to a bit smaller than a 1L nalgene. I love this stuff. I'll have to wait and see how it holds up. I think it will do well.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Last night, just to check durability, I removed the larkshead from the hammock and carefully inspected the fabric...

I'm happy to say there are no signs of distress, damage, tears, etc. in my hammock... I've slept in it, oh, 4 nights, and have hung in it a number of times...

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies

Smile

Here's my 12oz 10x12 tarp that stuffs smaller than a 32oz water bottle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ZMad2000 View Post
    Has anybody used this fabric? it comes 63" 30D, 0-3cfm. Its 2nds.

I was wondering if it would breath well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast