Winter Dream v.2
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook
    Images

Tarp Pole Pocket questions

1. From the website

"Note....pole pockets that must be sewn onto the existing side stake out patches are "custom fit" to match the stake out patch. (example, the OES Ultra)"

Just so I'm clear, tarps where there are no side stake out patches are fine, new patched for the pole pocket would be added. Correct?

2. Regarding pole selection.

You provide links to 2 sources. But I have no clue as to how to even begin selecting a pole. What are the benefits of one material over the other (alumninum vs. carbon fiber)? How do I select a length (I susect it would have to be some length just greater than the distance accoss the width). What thickness of pole works best? What type of end caps should I consider? I know that's a lot of questions, so perhaps a FAQ would help folks planning on ordering.

Thanks

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird, eno doublenest
    Tarp
    oes,warbonnet
    Insulation
    yeti/incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie sling AHE
    i just e mailed them with those same questions, in regards to a mac cat in spinn, his macat deluxe in sil took 6-18 in sections. he had to cut about 5 in off of that. call kim or kay at quest. he also recomends using the .344 nanolight poles. don't forgetthe shockcord, if you got a spinn tarp remember spinn does not stretch so you may have to go longer on the poles. you can getthe rounded pole end tips made for the pole from quest as well,
    i do not remember the question, however i believe beer is the answer

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billvann View Post
    1. From the website

"Note....pole pockets that must be sewn onto the existing side stake out patches are "custom fit" to match the stake out patch. (example, the OES Ultra)"

Just so I'm clear, tarps where there are no side stake out patches are fine, new patched for the pole pocket would be added. Correct?

2. Regarding pole selection.

You provide links to 2 sources. But I have no clue as to how to even begin selecting a pole. What are the benefits of one material over the other (alumninum vs. carbon fiber)? How do I select a length (I susect it would have to be some length just greater than the distance accoss the width). What thickness of pole works best? What type of end caps should I consider? I know that's a lot of questions, so perhaps a FAQ would help folks planning on ordering.

Thanks
    Correct. We install a pole pocket on the sides of the tarp at the center. We match the material used for the tarp stake out patches. The older OES used a "White Widow" type fabric, the newer use a black polyester patch.

The pole length is a bit tricky and is more so with CF poles whose length is "made to order". CF is expensive too. Lighter but a bit pricey. If using aluminum poles, Quest Outfitters offers .344 Nanolite poles in 18" sections. Some have insert ferrules and some are non insert poles. They are good at Quest helping you determine how many poles of each pole you need, the required shockcording and round pole tips needed. My aluminum poles weigh about 4ozs. for my Deluxe. CF would be about 2ozs.

Here's the tricky part. No two tarps are exactly alike. Therefore I can't tell you the pole length you'll need. That has to be determined as you install them. Putting them together, insert one end into the pocket, fit it to the tarp, cut off the excess pole at the other pole pocket. You must buy more pole length than you'll ultimately need. I recommend you get an extra pole. I cut my pole too short the first time. Luckily I had an extra to make it right.

Then there is the stretch difference between Sil and Spinn. My aluminum pole for my OES deluxe in Sil fits tight in the cool morning and a bit loose in the heat of the day. I'm guessing the Sil stretches that much. Spinn isn't supposed to do that. I don't have a Spinn tarp, but I bet others that have the pole mod in Spinn can chime in and tell us how it does.

These issues with poles are why we don't deal with poles, just the pockets. I believe most can deal with the aluminum poles themselves. I think before I spent the money on CF poles, I'd experiment with aluminum first, get the length right, then go for the more expensive CF poles if you want them.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Winter Dream v.2
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook
    Images
    Makes perfect sense. Thanks

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Winter Dream v.2
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook
    Images
    So six years later I finally pulled the trigger and ordered my pole pockets and a zipper mod. I'm excited to hang my rig and size the poles. Thanks, Donna!

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billvann View Post
    So six years later I finally pulled the trigger and ordered my pole pockets and a zipper mod. I'm excited to hang my rig and size the poles. Thanks, Donna!
    Almost 7!

• + New Posts