Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Talking DIY: What fabric should I use and where do I get it?

So I want to start a DIY hammock. Ed Speer tells me (in his book) that if I am 200-250 lbs. I should use 2.5-3.5 oz. supplex. Here's the skinny: I am 6'9" and hover around 245lbs. - 255lbs. What fabric should I use for my hammock and where can I get it? I have tried the sources in Ed's book but the websites seem rather confusing and I am not sure what would be best.

Thanks for you help!

I am not the expert DIYer and I am sure others will correct me if I am misleading you, but you should be able to use any of the commonly used ripstop nylons (1.1oz/sq yd, 1.7oz, or 1.9oz). All will likely hold without a problem, however, you may have some stretch with 1.1, and lesser amounts with the higher weight fabrics that may affect the flatness of your lay. Often times, using a double layer on the hammock is used to mitigate this. Brandon has a chart listing his recommendations in regards to the WBBB on the http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/blackbirds.php that may be a good reference (see bottom of that link). If you can find lightweight polyester ripstop, it is said to have less stretch, but I have never been able to find any.

For what it's worth, I am currently using Speer 1.9oz/yd ripstop nylon as a single layer and am 6'1", ~200# +/-10. I have not had appreciable stretch with my DIY gathered end hammock.

You can buy fabric from a variety of sources (local fabric stores, sometimes WalMart), Speers, Rockywoods.com, owfinc.com and others. Scott, I think has 30D (ie 1.1oz/yd) fabric on sale now at this linK http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=16957
    Last edited by BER; 05-06-2010 at 09:49.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    I used to weigh in the neighborhood of 250 (now down to 220 so far!). I was also a little concerned about getting the right fabric, but after building a couple DIY gathered end hammocks, I really don't sweat it anymore. I'm up to 9 or 10 hammocks built and I just grab whatever ripstop nylon or taffeta I find on sale & give it a try. Before I let a hammock go out, I always hang it up and bounce around on it. Even a 1.1oz ripstop will hold me up. Maybe I've been very lucky?

My advise is to find something cheap & give it whirl.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by gabejskyp View Post
    So I want to start a DIY hammock. Ed Speer tells me (in his book) that if I am 200-250 lbs. I should use 2.5-3.5 oz. supplex. Here's the skinny: I am 6'9" and hover around 245lbs. - 255lbs. What fabric should I use for my hammock and where can I get it?

Thanks for you help!
    buy TASLAN, it's interchangable with supplex. I've bought both the taslan and supplex from this site and the taslan is heavier. Both are very nice materials, I personally liked the dusty pink but you probably wont

http://www.owfinc.com/

look under "fabric" then look under Supplex.

I've always had to call them to put in my order. I've found that sometimes they'll be out of something listed on the web site and sometimes they will have different colors than what they have listed. So figure out what you want, then call.

On a side note, this material makes nice kilts too!!

TinaLouise

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    3 Season Incubator
    Suspension
    DiY Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you have a Joann's Fabrics nearby, this is where my wife buys all of her 1.9 RipStop for the Hammocks she makes.

I'm 5'10" about 235 lbs and all of the single layer hammocks she makes hold my big butt off the ground. The really nice thing about Joann's is they always have a 50% coupon floating around so you can pick up 1.9 RipStop for about 3.50 a yard.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Sclittlefield has 1.1 in either green or woodland camo for $2.75/yd. I'm 220 and have a single layer 1.1 hammock. Personally, I'd go double layered ... It opens up a bunch of options.

Length is the next question. I'm 6' and my 11' hammock is ultra-comfortable. I had a 9' hammock, but it was a bit too short.

Ed has 1.9 oz that is reasonably priced, and sells polyester straps cheap... Or go to your local Joanne's as suggested above, and get the rest of the suspension gear from Arrowhead: http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Strapworks.com super slings are very good for suspension gear as well. 20' straps cut in two gives you two 10' straps.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    Scott, I think has 30D (ie 1.1oz/yd) fabric on sale now at this linK http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=16957
    Yes, that sale is still available for HF members. Check that thread and the sale ordering instructions are included. If you get it straight from my website it'll be $0.25/yd more. I recommend the sale price.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    Sclittlefield has 1.1 in either green or woodland camo for $2.75/yd. I'm 220 and have a single layer 1.1 hammock. Personally, I'd go double layered ... It opens up a bunch of options.

Length is the next question. I'm 6' and my 11' hammock is ultra-comfortable. I had a 9' hammock, but it was a bit too short.
    I second both of those - 2 layer is great, both for added safety/longevity, and for the ability to add pads between layers if desired.

And I absolutely love the comfort of my 11' hammock! I'm only 5'10", and can certainly go shorter, but boy that extra foot or two really does something to the feel of it.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokak View Post
    If you have a Joann's Fabrics nearby, this is where my wife buys all of her 1.9 RipStop for the Hammocks she makes.
    So the ripstop that Joann stocks is 1.9?

Thanks

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quest outfitters sells the supplex that Ed mentions. I bought some for my first hammock because Kay said Ed uses it. I didn't know it was for his extra strong hammocks. However, I have never regretted my mistake. Supplex is a very comfortable fabric, both in its soft finish and its relatively low stretch. It's windblocking, too.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast