Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    UCR+Treestraps

Grateful For All The Learning -- Thanks HF!

I woke up today amongst scrub oaks listening to the birds sing feeling rested after my best night of hammock sleep yet. Most everything I was using but by tarp and sleeping bag were DIY, largely taught to me by this forum. Laying there I thought of all the talented people kind enough to share and felt grateful. Yay HF.
    I slept in a gathered end hammock with a knotty mod (thanks Knotty my sleeping bag and mat stayed in! this was my 3rd diy hammock, first with a knotty mod) suspended by Amsteel UCRs and Tree Straps (no one person to thank here, but all HF info - thanks!) while I watched some early rising mosquitoes crawl on my Fronkey Bug Net (thanks fronkey, I am a mosquito magnet!) beneath a tarp that was kept nice and taught (well, it didn't rain but if it had...) by self tensioning guylines (thanks Shug!) which packed up quickly in a noseeum snakeskin with guy line storage (mine is a single skin, not two -- thanks headchange4u!).

I enjoy both the being outside and the iterating and improving on my setup. This forum has been excellently inspiring.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tsunamihazardzone; 05-15-2016 at 00:19.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    That last photo of the yaro and lupin is great.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    I too am grateful to all the clever people here that post thiet experiences and tips for us DIY drs to follow.

I've made all my gear including a tarp but still need the UQ and TQ.

1/2 way through TQ already but discovered them through google about 4 years ago.
    I've got about 7 hammocks now but my first 2 were cheap GE that wetted my appetite.

I have finally reached my favoured size ,11',and is now the only one I use.

Hammock
    Ox gear
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB & Ox Gear
    Suspension
    Webbing & Whoopies
    You are so right, these people have a wealth of knowledge on this forum and very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    UKH Woodsman Xpedition
    Tarp
    Alpkit Rig7
    Insulation
    Rab neutrino 800
    Hear, hear.
    ..leaving accumulated sunshine and flowers to those that shall succeed.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    This forum has been a game changer for me as well. It has helped me make a substantial move from the couch to the trail. Thanks all!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    This forum has been a game changer for me as well. It has helped me make a substantial move from the couch to the trail. Thanks all!
    I researched the ENO product and got a real shock on how much it costs in the US as opposed to how much it costs full price(less taxes and shipping ) from the manufacturer.

If I was in the US I would rather pay a little more from some of the truly fantastic cottage makers you have knowing that it is a local made product at a fair price for "local made".

As it is,I have to make my own gear because exchange rates,shipping and wait times kill everything.
    And I love tinkering anyway

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    JadeJadekayak, I love my ENOs, but I do agree with you. If I knew then what I know now, I probably never would have bought them. That said, I think I got a pretty good price for my ENOs, caught them on a sale at REI. ENO DN, ProFly, Guardian Bug Net and Atlas Straps for $140(US).

I don't camp with them any more, but for day hikes they are perfect, string them up for a quick afternoon lunch/nap, then take them down and hike on. Hard to beat the simplicity of the straps and I nap great in them!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    JadeJadekayak, I love my ENOs, but I do agree with you. If I knew then what I know now, I probably never would have bought them. That said, I think I got a pretty good price for my ENOs, caught them on a sale at REI. ENO DN, ProFly, Guardian Bug Net and Atlas Straps for $140(US).

I don't camp with them any more, but for day hikes they are perfect, string them up for a quick afternoon lunch/nap, then take them down and hike on. Hard to beat the simplicity of the straps and I nap great in them!
    You think $US140 is a fair price for made in China,pre import cost of less than $US10???

That COST is also a health profit for the company that makes them!

I STUMBLED on them while researching hammocks in general and the company in China is selling them in bulk and advertises them as DNO without the tag as they sell to a few suppliers who put their own labels on.

p.s.

I've had a similar situation with Swedish CROSS stretchy,waterproof breathable rain jackets.They retail at $400-$500 each here but supplier left shipping docs in one box and they cost $10 landed.that is what I call an unfair profit ratio.(it was about 5 years ago now)
    Last edited by jadekayak; 05-16-2016 at 13:10. Reason: p.s. added

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    I have no clue what ENO pays for their products, just as I have no clue what most of the products I buy cost the manufacturers who produce them. I always assume they are making a profit.

When I said "pretty good price" I simply meant it was a decent price for the items I purchased compared to comparable offerings from other suppliers of similar products.

I have neither the time or inclination to research each manufacturer of products I am interested in buying to find out what their profit margin is, whether or no they are using cheap Chinese labor and etc. If that kind of thing matters to you that's your prerogative.

HYOH, and Buy Your Own Way!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast