Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which One?????

Thumbs up

I think I have just about made up my mine to get the Expedition with the 3 X 4 tarp. Now my next decision is what lightweight sleeping pad to keep me warm.I was thinking about this one what do you think?
    http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...0226&langId=-1

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EZ-DOES-IT View Post
    I think I have just about made up my mine to get the Expedition with the 3 X 4 tarp. Now my next decision is what lightweight sleeping pad to keep me warm.I was thinking about this one what do you think?
    http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...0226&langId=-1
    You can get almost the same pad at your local Wal-Mart for about $5.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images
    I've been using this.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/1-4-x30-x-60-Hi-...QQcmdZViewItem
    It costs more than the walley world mat, but its 10" wider, softer, easier to fold/pack, and weighs 8.5oz on my scale. Does not buckle nearly as bad as the more rigid walmart pad. He also has it in 1/8" thickness which works good to around 40 deg. for me.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That's a great find for pad users. Oware has a big one, too - www.owareusa.com.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images
    Two more questions....

1 What would be the approximate length for spreader bars for the net?

2 At 5'11" would the expedition be long enough for me?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkwater View Post
    Two more questions....

1 What would be the approximate length for spreader bars for the net?

2 At 5'11" would the expedition be long enough for me?
    My spreader bar is 17" long but like I said, I had no problem fashioning one from dead branches lying on the ground in less than a minute. You really only need one at the head end only. It's not a big deal.

I'm 6'2" and Tom suggested the Expedition model for me. Having said that I'm glad I went with with the Jungle model. I just like having the extra room. I believe it's been suggested here that the hammock should be about two feet longer than the person using it. Using those parameters the Expedition should be fine for you. I think it's just a matter of personal taste. Also weight was not a driving factor fo me.

I have little experience with quality hammocks other than the Clark but I can say that I really love everything about this hammock. It's been one of those rare purchases where I'm totally satisfied with no reservations.

You can always exchange it if you're not satisfied. Tom is very accomodating.

Good luck, Miguel

Question

I have another question
    Can anyone here list the weight of the Expedition and the 3 X 4 fly after they have weighted it on there scale.What weight did you come up with?
    Just want to check as to what the real weight is before I decide to order.
    Thank you for your time.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images
    FWIW here are the weights for the Mosquito:
    Stuff sack 0.6 oz
    hammock body 21.2 oz
    webbing (28') 5.2 oz
    total as delivered 27 oz

About the CSF pads...

If you use a single pad, there's a tradeoff between comfortable vs. manageable (for packing) width.

My compromise is to buy 20-inch wide by 6-foot long pads, but cut them in half to make two 20 x 36-inch pads. These can be placed side-by-side for a total width of 40 inches under your torso (with no pad under your calves and feet). They can also be placed in a T-shape for a width of 36 inches under your shoulders and upper arms, and coverage all the way down to your heels.

Either way seems to work well for me.

The benefit of this approach is that you can roll the pads into a roll that is only 20-inches wide, so it doesn't stick out on either side of a pack.

I actually put the rolled-up pads inside my GoLite pack to act as the body and padding for the pack. It's the most efficient and versatile way of using pads I've found.

However... I much prefer the feeling of an underquilt, which allows the fabric of the hammock to conform to your body. This, to me, is one of the great benefits of the hammock; it seems to adjust to support you just where you need it.

I use a Speer Pea Pod, and I also find it very versatile with the Mosquito Hammocks (I prefer the Expedition model). During the day, I'll often pitch the MH net-side up and laze about with the PeaPod under me. At dusk I flip the hammock over, net-side down, and fit the PeaPod outside the hammock for nighttime.

Bear

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12