Tarp
    WB Big Mama
    Insulation
    3S Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Jedi Power NoCable

Help me kill my foam pad!

Hi guys,

I love upgrading gears and now, Im at the point where an underquilt is my #1 priority.. im sick of back chill at 4am in the mornin'. I have looked at the el cheapo solution, strapping a sleeping bag under the hammock and other system.. and came to a point where I should drop the DIY mentality (severe lack of time) and just buy a good UQ so I can ditch my ccf blue foam pad.. [really sick of carrying this huge roll of foam outside my pack]. I want an UQ that will pack smaller than a walmart rolled cheap blue foam pad..

What do you suggest for someone who don't have any UQ yet ?
    There are a lot of choices in the UQ world.. and most of them are pretty expensive for my taste.. 250$+

Insultex UQ ? Any input are welcome as usual.. please help a brother out who is in need of warm nights!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    KAQ from Arrowhead Equipment and PGibson, a member here, is a proven and tested system/uq.

MacEntyre, another member, offers a Insultex UQ. Mac's IX UQ. I used a single layer into the 40's, a double would be better, IMO.
    Now that Mac offer's it in an optional layering system along with his chair, it might be a good choice. I haven't tested it yet. Mac also baffles some extra IX tubes for added insulation.

Down is down, and is warm, light and packable. Tested thoroughly, it is the most expensive. But most here swear by it.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    DOC:
    I have the KAQ New River from AHE and one from MrPrez, he had the KAQ brand before Paul did, and I can say that they are excellent UQ's. Actually they work just as well in a TQ mode, which is the way I use them. I have been into the 20's with this setup and been very comfortable.

On the IX UQ that MAC is offering. I have been given the chance to test out these UQ's, nested model with tubes, and I am in the process of doing so. Please bear with me as the temps have gotten up around here and I will be testing them on two possibly three different hammocks. Unfortunately, there will be no BBird testing......I don't have one of those, yet!!!!!!!

Either one of these sources for UQ's is greatly worth looking into for your UQ purchase. Both these gentlemen stand behind their products and are very accomodating in meeting the needs of their consumers...............I hope this helps you out!!!!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7 / HH ULBA / GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    SWT JRB 8x8/Poncho
    Insulation
    HG/JRB/Leighs/HHSS
    Suspension
    7/64 and 2mm WS
    Images
    You could get one of Leigh's 2/3 Underquilts

Summer for $130 shipped.

3 Season for $150 shipped.

Very reasonably priced and I have heard good things about them. Can't give my own input just yet, I am awaiting the postman

For Sale Here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=16810

You might consider the 5-in-1 Jerry chair that Mac posted a video about. Nifty use as both an "underquilt" and camp chair. I have to go back an listen to it again, but I think it is insulated with IX.

Edit: yup has IX. see this thread: MMG 5-in-1 Jerry chair .

Just brilliant Mac!
    Last edited by BER; 04-26-2010 at 09:43.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Hey Doc; I've got a 3 season yeti and its great. Packs down smaller than the WBBB. The Leigh at $150 sounds like a bargain. Stormcrow makes great UQ. Any down UQ from one of the HF folks is well worth the $$. The Kaq also has a good reputation.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Good luck on your UQ choice. You will get one if your a serious hammocker))))))
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Big Mama
    Insulation
    3S Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Jedi Power NoCable
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Good luck on your UQ choice. You will get one if your a serious hammocker))))))
    oh im serious.. will never go back to the ground

You all gave me what I was expecting, many many option/opinion about UQ, will study them all today.. i am pretty much looking for an approx freezing temp UQ 32-40 fah and up underquilt. I dont know nothing about insultex .. the 5-1 chair is an awesome idea that i have been watching lately.. the only variable I can tell you is what temperature I had so far

1st 2010 trip: -11 celcius at night (around 12 Fahrenheit) with blue foam only and a -5 celcius sleeping bag (and many layer of clothing). cold feet at 4 am and frostbite on the lips.. sleep well but fixed the frostbite after talking to shug.

2nd 2010 trip: 0 celcius (around 32 Fah) .. was suppose to be +9cel but in the mountain.. and the freakin wind.. it was zero cel. no blue foam this time, only the same -5 cel sleeping bag. 3 hours of sleep before the chill got in my back and impossible to sleep from there .. spent midnight till morning in a bushcraft chair near the fire built with 7 foot long tripod and a pouch I had... impossible to fall asleep

It need to change!! I love hammocking but its not suppose to be a painfull experience! its still better than any shelter i have built on the ground.. hammocking is a dream for the back

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Big Mama
    Insulation
    3S Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Jedi Power NoCable
    also forgot to tell you that im 6'2" .. would that be a factor in choosing an UQ ? I was reading review of the Leigh's summer 2/3 UQ and someone said "I find myself really curling down in the quilt to keep my shoulders and knees warm."

It could be something I'll suffer.. do you recommand a full size UQ for a 6'2" guy..

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    If you need a bit longer quilt check out Stormcrows stuff or go right to JRB MW3season full length under quilt. 2/3 UQ are in fashion at the moment for weight saving reasons but the Mount Washington 3 season looks good. Both Stormcrow and JRB make excellent stuff.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast