Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    It costs about twice as much but a 4x6 might be the way to go....all the extra material on each side of the pole pocket should keep it from splitting as easily. I tried hanging from a 4x4 in my yard and got quite a bit of flex so when I planted a pole to match up with one of my palms I went for the 4x6.

Hammock
    Grizzbridge/RR/DIY GE/Pares
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by DRobertson View Post
    i actually made this a month ago after seeing this, but it was too heavy for me, and was very expensive where i live. i just recently went to wall studs and eye screws for my hennessy and eno
    Apart from being heavy and expensive did have you had any trouble with this stand? Any cracking? Any wobbles?
    Having 3 parts to a stand is much simpler and sounds great but I've just read 8 pages of historic posts that seem to have alot of downs..... Did you make any modifications to the original design?

We just bought a new house and I put eyebolts into the designers plans only to find out my wife outlawed them. Construction is complete so I lost the way. I need an indoor stand. Seems my post today resurrected a sleeping post. Awesome. Turtle/Old Dog stands are great...... just looking for an alternative.
    Last edited by kerryandjane; 12-23-2013 at 10:57. Reason: specifying info required.

Hammock
    HHDJ JUNGLE XL(2)
    Tarp
    RSBTR & Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ HG20* UQ HG20*
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    Seems a no-brainer, if I had a deck I would be thanking you for the idea- come to think of it, I can use this idea on my porch, so thanks!

ah, ummmmmmmmmmmm...... maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfanboy View Post
    To extend this one step further, it would be relatively simple to use a marine grade plywood, a table saw or someone good with a skill saw to make 4" strips and glue them together.
    Seriously, why am I fooling around with these dern tripods?
    I remember seeing some older laminated beams in the back lot at Habitat's building recycling yard. Gotta check that out.

Hammock
    WBRR / WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UGQ
    Suspension
    Buckles / Whoopies
    kerryandjane, mine was very wobbly, the poles cracked, and im only 115 lbs. I didnt modify mine at all, and it is way to short for an average hammock.

Hammock
    As of now...Eno DoubleNest (stc)
    Tarp
    Don't have one yet
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    This. Looks. Awesome. Will definitely try! Thanks!

Hammock
    Grizzbridge/RR/DIY GE/Pares
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by DRobertson View Post
    kerryandjane, mine was very wobbly, the poles cracked, and im only 115 lbs. I didnt modify mine at all, and it is way to short for an average hammock.
    Thanks for the response. What a shame. Im almost double you and I only have one chance to build a hammock stand. I doubt if it falls apart my wife will let me put my daughter in it either. I'm not savvy enough to come up with a mod that remedies the issues.

Cool

I built one by sliding 2 3/4 wood dowels into 4 seperate snow old snow rake poles bolted 2 together w/eyebolt rope spreader about 3/4 down from the top. Using a form stake for concrete about 5 ft behind poles w/rope hooked from stake to top of poles

Hammock
    HH
    Insulation
    down
    Welcome aboard Tferg,
    Us visual folks will need to see pics of that to follow you.

YES, YES! Even tho I only have a one story house on a flat piece of land, I am going to HAVE to build a deck just so I can use that WORLD CLASS idea of putting the pole support wood under the deck and then a larger hole in the deck to allow the plug to be put back in for concealment. Just Brilliant!

Other thoughts:
    1.) if 2" X 4""10' PT is so much cheaper than 4" X 4"X 10' PT, then how about Two 2" X 6" X 10' PT glued together PLUS two2" X 6" X 6 INCH (yes inch) also glued on top where each pole goes thru to make a 6" square by 8" deep (or some such variation) place for the pole?
    2.) Liked the pole protecting metal Tee idea very much but a metal angle (horseshoe?)might be stronger to protect the top of the hole (I'd suggest LONG screws)
    3.) Wear gloves when you use Gorilla glue and have nail polish remover standing by. ( Ask me how I know.)
    3.)Rethinking number 1 above. Same general idea of a big strong wooden place for the pole to stand; BUT only one ( Possibly ???) 10 Foot X 2" X 6" with a 2" X 2" wood or 3/4" X 3/4" metal angle iron 9 foot long stiffener (a game day decision based on cost , weight savings and structural rigidity requirements) on top of this single 10' long piece.
    4.) Carried to a further extreme so to make the base into two pieces, lite enough to carry and hopefully to fit in a vehicle:

Top view of Left Side of One Half the of the base (make Right Side the same):

If I knew how to preview this to see that it makes sense I would. Sorry if it is unreadable.

4 " X 6" gate hinge with removable PIN (wired on so can't be lost)
    v
    v
    5' X 2" X 4" standing on 2" side glued and screwed into 2"X6"X6" pole stack........
    3 or 4 < 2" 2"
    layers of < Pole stack X <cross piece strengthens the 2" X 4">>X <<<<< Handle a
    2" X 6" X 6" < 4" 4"
    5' X 2" X 4"standing on 2" side glued and screwed into 2"X6"X6" pole stack.........
    '
    '
    4 " X 6" gate hinge with removable PIN (wired on so can't be lost)

I sure hopes this makes sense.
    regards,
    Paul
    Paul or Sarge or Hawk; anything but Sue!

Bless all of those who go voluntarily into Harm's Way on our behalf, whether they wear Blue, Red or Camo, and all of those who wait for them each night not knowing if.....

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast