Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Glad it worked out for you.

The new one sounds like a good plan...pics would be great when you make it.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Nice idea Johnny. I think I may make one as just a big noseeum tube with a draw string on one end. That would be nice for the trips where it may or maynot be buggy out. You could leave it at one end when not in use. I am still going to try something a little more complicated for the fun of it.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

I'm wading through about 400 pics today and will get them on my site as I get the time over the next week. That whole life thing is getting in the way of my hobbies.

I'm new at this hammock thing, so take everything I say with a big grain of salt. I have sewn a ton of gear in the past in will likely make a Speer hammock sometime soon. I have plenty of 1.1 nylon left and might make a 2-layer hammock to use with just pads instead of the down underquilt. A torso pad, along with a longer 1/8" pad, along with a hammock tube and I bet I'd be good to freezing or better.

I can't decide if I like the underquilt thing or not. I'm going to at least carry a torso pad no matter what, and I almost think the weight/warmth is a wash regarding a CC pad compared to a sewn-through underquilt. For me, I really thing the hammock sock is the key to everything by cutting off a bunch of that convective loss from underneight. I almost always carry a space blanket in the cool months, and might as well use it between the hammock and sock as to leave it in the pack. Could even get all crazy and do a Garlington taco-like setup for a few nights if need be with leaves and empty stuff sacks/trash bags.
    Have you attempted or completed an AT Thru-hike?
    Take the AT Thru-hiker Survey

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Here's my idea: Take 1 piece of silnylon 45"x10' or so and 1 piece of no-see-um that is the same size and sew them together on the long sides and add drawstrings on either end, basically making the same thing Johnny Swank did.

You could use it with the no-see-um netting on top of the hammock, in the summer, for a bug net and the silnylon would be on the bottom of the hammock providing weather and splash protection. You could also rotate the sock so the silnylon is on top of the hammock and the netting is on the bottom for colder conditions.

This may be about the same thing you are describing, Johnny.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Could be a ground bivy that way, too - sil is the groundsheet and you'd still have bug protection. In case you meet a "friend" on the trip who doesn't hammock...
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123