Thread: Center pole

Center pole

Can anyone tell me the way warbonnet intended this center pole mod to be setup. This is how my new Superfly came configured with timeout at the center having this clip and a few inch loop of shock cord. I have in the past on another tarp tied the pole tight with a piece of ribbon, this seems pretty far from being tight against the tarp with this setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by campnfish View Post
    Can anyone tell me the way warbonnet intended this center pole mod to be setup. This is how my new Superfly came configured with timeout at the center having this clip and a few inch loop of shock cord. I have in the past on another tarp tied the pole tight with a piece of ribbon, this seems pretty far from being tight against the tarp with this setup.
    Normally I just run my center pole through the grosgrain loop and bypass the shock cord
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I would guess - and it's just a guess - that feeding through the shock-cord accomplishes two things. First, it allows more flex or shift if an unexpected exterior force was applied to the tarp. Second, it allows a shift of the interior pole arc, which might cant the widening to one side or the other of center line. Also, if you had DIY poles that were a bit long, and angle shifted a bit from perpendicular to the hammock edge would accommodate a bit longer pole.

It seems that the interior pole doesn't have to be exactly, exactly, fixed in the center. You just don't want it to flop over/down completely. So the bungee seems more of a "stay in this area" rather than a "stay exactly right here". Again, just a guess.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Buckle webbing
    My Superfly has the same setup. I was clueless so I emailed WB for instructions. They suggested that you could thread the pole through the shock cord or the grosgrain loop.

I have found that the pole flops around too much if I use the shock cord, but as @Cougarmeat suggested, it does help with sudden stresses.

If it’s not too windy, I thread the pole through the grograin like Shug, it it’s really windy, I compromise…I loop the shock cord under the pole mod and then clip it back into the mitten clip. This shortens the shock cord and keeps the pole more contained while still providing some flex in case of a sudden stress.
    “If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.” - Mark Twain, 1894

I think I'm gonna just take a small thick rubber band like the kind on a broccoli stock and larks head it to the grossgrain and send it through the loop of rubber band.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    campnfish - good compromise!
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts