Issue with CPAP and Renogy Power Bank

Hi, I think some people here use, or have used, the Renogy 266 Wh 12V power bank with their CPAP? I'm having an issue, wondering if anyone has experience with it. I'm using a Resmed Air Mini, with the Resmed 12V cigarette lighter adapter, plugged into the Renogy power bank. The CPAP works fine for several hours, then power turns off. If I unplug and replug into the Renogy, the CPAP will work for a couple more hours before power turns off again. I've had the same experience for a couple nights, trying to trouble shoot, but can't resolve. Renogy has lots of charge. I'm hesitant to continue lest I damage the Air Mini. Any experience or thoughts? Thank you very much.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Not using the Renology battery, but the one I have is also 266 WH.

- To test the battery I would get a 12 V to 115 volt, DC to AC Adapter and plug in a fan or something, if it keeps going, then the battery is fine
    - Check the Mini just using the wall adapter and house power. if it runs the night it is fine
    - That leaves the Resmed adapter cable itself to check out ... if the other 2 are fine, that may be the issue. You are smart to be using the REsmed adapter, because it should work with any 12 volt source and it is supplied by the manufacturer, which means any voltage requirements should be addressed (i.e. this isn't your problem then). On my Resmed adapter, there is a little led on the 12 volt plug in part, that glows red when I plug it in ... if that is out when the shutdown occurs, it would be the battery cutting out .... if it stays red and the mini is off, that is either the adapter circuitry or the mini itself (the wall power check will tell you that).
    - if all else fails and since you are using all ResMed equipment, have you considered contacting them for technical support?

Some thoughts

Brian

Does the mini require 24v? I'm only familiar with my resmed air curve and it requires an adapter to boost 12v DC to 24v DC.

I see a 12v to 24v adapter available for the mini. I recently purchased a Freedom v2 battery which can output 24v directly that I use for camping.

Anyway, I don't know what your devices DC requirements are or if you already have an adapter, but wanted to put that out there. Running a 24v device at 12v would cause issues.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    This is from Renogy's website about the 266 power bank:

Renogy.jpg

I know the AC adapter for the mini puts out 24VDC to the mini, so that may be the issue.
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

good tips, thanks. In March I used the Air Mini and cigarette lighter adapter in my travel trailer. Worked perfect for a couple weeks. Slugger noted Renogy says not for Air Mini, I'll contact them. thank you all very much for your replies.

EDIT: spoke with a couple different people at Renogy. No one knows the reason that the Air Mini is excluded.
    Last edited by sloth99; 04-15-2024 at 09:49.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    So I guess double checking you have the the right car adapter for the mini is your first step

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    The 12v car adapter for the AirMini is the right thing if you are wanting to use the 12v output on the Renology. My guess is the AirMini is maybe not drawing enough power through the adapter, and the Renology doesn't sense that it needs to keep working. That's my very amateur guess.

Does your Renology battery have USB-C PD output? The example I was looking at on Amazon does. If so, and depending on the UCB-C PD output specs of the Renology, you might be able to use a USB-C PD adapter cable and power the AirMini that way.

EDIT: I have an AirMini I use with a Talentcell 24v battery on my camping trips. It works well, and I can easily get 2, sometimes 3 nights out of it with the AirMini. I'm thinking of switching over to a USB-C PD battery that can output the needed 24v and wattage the AirMini needs.
    Last edited by Crazytown3; 04-15-2024 at 12:16.

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    If you are using the ResMed Air Mini 12VDC converter, which is 12VDC cigarette style plug to the Air Mini plug, it should only be pulling 65W of power or 5.4 A - well within the capabilities of the Renogy power bank. The 12VDC outlet on the power bank is rated up to 15A. Curious why Renogy would exclude the Air Mini if you're using the right adapter. Hmmm... It sounds like Renogy discovered that their power bank and RedMed's adapter don't play well together and just decided to exclude it from the line up instead of creating a solution to make the two compatible.

dc-cord-airmini-cpap-machine-resmed-38839_851x851.jpg
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Thanks for the suggestion Crazytown3.

Slugger, I think you might be right.

• + New Posts