Tarp
    OES(SWT)BLK DCF HG
    Insulation
    wb-underquilt, HG
    Suspension
    diy woopie slings

Tarp lines versus tarp lines

I’m sure this has been talked about before. But it seems like
    There’s a divide on tarp lines. Stronger, lighter. Vs weaker to prevent tarp failure. I haven’t thought about this for a long time. I use zing it / lash it on my lines with prussics to adjust and for silnylon I add a classic shock cord loop. But I recently have a huge tear in my tarp because of strong wind. I can’t blame it on the guidelines themselves, but I was wondering what everyone thinks about having weaker cordage to either break or bend but then wouldn’t that leave more sag with weaker cordage? And also if the guidelines have no give, does that make for higher stress points for ripping the tarp? Thanks in advance

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I do not use weak cord for tarp guylines. I use 2.2 Lash-it
    Also I don’t use coiled wire key ring, that is supposed to break first, like a breaker fuse.

I used to tie guylines when possible to trees, and bushes.
    Now I have a Dutch bonded seam winter tarp, with internal pole mods that form two arches under tarp.
    This allows me to not use stakes!
    I tie guylines to same tree trunk, my hammock is on.

No stakes getting ripped out of ground in high winds. And no loose stakes whipping against tarp.

That’s just me, each hammock camper has their go2 setup, and they all work….to their satisfaction.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Japandy, I've used two methods and I'm sort of in between methods right now. First, I put not really strong (hobby store level) split rings on the D-ring (or "triangle) connectors for the tarp ridgeline and side guylines. I'd connect the cordage to rings. The split ring would deform, and maybe open up before the tarp was damaged. Given that it could upon up, I toyed with putting a sort of "backup" line parallel to the split ring so if the ring did give way, I'd still be connected.

Then I swapped out the split rings on the sides for shock-cord tensioners. That was a 6 to 8-inch length of shock cord running parallel with about 12 inches of fixed-line. The shock cord allowed some give; the fixed line restricted the stretch so it wouldn't snap/break. But if the shock cord did break, the tarp would still be connected.

In addition to keeping some tautness as the Silnylon stretched, more importantly, the shock cord would allow the shape of the tarp setup to deform a bit to spill a wind load build-up.

From there I moved to a continuous tarp ridgeline with NAMA claws to hold the tarp. That way, the tarp hangs under the ridgeline the way a hammock hangs under its structural ridgeline. Any pull on the tarp ridgeline is not transferred to the tarp. I have the original claws and found that while "at rest" in the snakeskin, amazing but true, the small manufacturer's split rings on the tarp ridgeline would work their way out of the claw jaw. So I made small cord loops to go from the tiny ring to the claw with a cinch-tight knot. I've never had that slip out of the claw. Note that this issue was not when the claw was in use (under tension) only when things were slack. And I believe NAMA has improved the claw jaw to alleviate that issue.

When I started out, I used SilNylon because where I go, there's no easy "going back" to the car if things break. But after having to wrangle with three very wet SilNyon tarps while car camping at Honeyman State Park, I started switching over the SilPoly. So stretch isn't as much of an issue.

I also started reorienting my tarp so it's parallel rather than broadside to the wind. I figure that minimizes the "push", and allows the support trees to act as wind blocks. Because I am parallel to the wind, those tarps have either full or mini doors. I found that instead of pushing inward, the parallel wind gives lift to the sides so I had to accommodate that force direction with my stake setting.

Of course, one has to use the trees that are there and the wind can change course - so that setting is more in the "do the best you can" area rather than a religion. But honestly, and a little disappointingly, I don't get out in many storms. I mostly kayak camp and my companions don't quite share the same sense of "adventure" that I do. So outings are planned with the best weather conditions in mind.

On the "use the trees that are there" restriction, I've found new freedom with the Tensa Pole. One tree is enough with the pole giving more choice in the orientation. But it's not completely free. Now I have anchoring concerns.

It's an ongoing learning experience.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    diy hammock, wb-net
    Tarp
    OES(SWT)BLK DCF HG
    Insulation
    wb-underquilt, HG
    Suspension
    diy woopie slings
    I also have winter tarp ( made by oes macCat )
    Like the spear winter tarp with cat cuts I’ve had it for quite a while. I’ve done some temporary mods with pullouts and adding trecking poles on top. I also have broken aluminum tent poles from a huge tent that broke a few and trying to salvage them for parts. I was thinking about trying the same idea using those poles to add underneath the tarp, I haven’t figured out how to do it yet.
    I can’t get the Visual in my head of your set up of how you don’t use steaks and how you get it to span to the tree could you possibly post a photo? I’ll do some more research but having a big tarp seems like having the polls would help the rigidness keep the tarp taught so less stretch less blowing around the tighter the better I think maybe?

Hammock
    diy hammock, wb-net
    Tarp
    OES(SWT)BLK DCF HG
    Insulation
    wb-underquilt, HG
    Suspension
    diy woopie slings
    IMG_8052.jpg
    This is the aftermath from a storm my guyline configs photos are a mess

Hammock
    diy hammock, wb-net
    Tarp
    OES(SWT)BLK DCF HG
    Insulation
    wb-underquilt, HG
    Suspension
    diy woopie slings
    IMG_8055.jpgIMG_8055.jpg
    Other photo tarp tare. Wind Guyline ruckus

Hammock
    diy hammock, wb-net
    Tarp
    OES(SWT)BLK DCF HG
    Insulation
    wb-underquilt, HG
    Suspension
    diy woopie slings
    So this is my guyline configuration. I have 4 Dutch hooks, and 4 steel micro micro carabiners. Should have bought more Dutch hooks. But point being, one of the steel carabiners broke before the tarp or the lash it my guyline is connected to the stakes and the shock cord is connected to the tarp with the green line( forget the name. ) with pussics on both sides. Haha maybe over kill I don’t remember why I decided to do that. IMG_8056.jpg

Hammock
    diy hammock, wb-net
    Tarp
    OES(SWT)BLK DCF HG
    Insulation
    wb-underquilt, HG
    Suspension
    diy woopie slings
    I’m also using a continuous tarp ridgeline with Prussics with mini carabiners or toggles on zing it. Sorry I don’t know the terminology of “I've never had that slip out of the claw. Note that this issue was not when the claw was in use (under tension) only when things were slack. And I believe NAMA has improved the claw jaw to alleviate that issue.”

Hammock
    diy hammock, wb-net
    Tarp
    OES(SWT)BLK DCF HG
    Insulation
    wb-underquilt, HG
    Suspension
    diy woopie slings
    I also have a DCF winter tarp, But my silnylon winter tarp fits 2 hammocks with the Dutch spreader bars which would be nice if I could add the inner polls to my tarp it would feel like a palace ��

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    I do not use weak cord for tarp guylines. I use 2.2 Lash-it
    Also I don’t use coiled wire key ring, that is supposed to break first, like a breaker fuse.

I used to tie guylines when possible to trees, and bushes.
    Now I have a Dutch bonded seam winter tarp, with internal pole mods that form two arches under tarp.
    This allows me to not use stakes!
    I tie guylines to same tree trunk, my hammock is on.

No stakes getting ripped out of ground in high winds. And no loose stakes whipping against tarp.

That’s just me, each hammock camper has their go2 setup, and they all work….to their satisfaction.
    First time I have seen that stakeless setup suggested. You have any photos you could share? Any issues with the tarp riding up near the pole mods? With the warbonnet superly I noticed if I have the center pole mod in that section tends to be a bit higher. Can be really convenient when weather is decent and I want to be able to duck in and out but if a big wind came through I like to know I can tighten it down with the guyline.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast