Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    10 years ago it seemed we only had to co-habit with the deer hunters in the fall. The leader of the hang in those days was Miyanc. His band of scouts were the most fearsum in the campground (not really.... just kids being kids. ) we don't see either the hunters or the kids anymore..... think WE drove them out. We should think about that some.

As far as the alcohol goes, I enjoy a few nips around the campfire but could live without it and still enjoy the gathering.

As far as the costs mentioned in the posts above I'm fine with it but not with one or two people paying up front and being left holding the bag after. This was an issue at Medoc years back. At some point we all need to say.... move to XXX for the hang knowing we might pay some $20+ per campsite/person

or.....

Stay at Yates with it's problems.

Hammock
    Superior Gear bundle
    Images
    I can help too pg.

Tax season is over, I have time to help.

If mentioned, pardon the redundant comment...venmo, cash app, zelle...we can get $ where it's needed...along with a spreadsheet...we can keep track.

Second...

Consider contacting BSA or the YMCA...

I'm sure we may be able to rent facilities if they are not being used. So... may be conflicting schedules... Scouts have/had a facility on high rock lake....

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Superior Gear bundle
    Images
    https://bsaonsc.org/camping/camps-facilities/

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I’ve meandered all over on this topic, thinking out loud, or in Phantom World—just saying stuff and then taking a week to think it through.

Here are my latest thoughts. (My thoughts aren’t facts—just thinking out loud on our thread)

Yates probably will continue, even if half of us go instead to another location. This is understandable and will not diminish hammock campers love of Yates. Some things I love about Yates, and other things are not so lovable.

There is a good possibility that a hammock organization that is on Facebook, might might might organize hangs near Yates that are one month earlier in the fall and one month later in the spring than Yates Time Change Weekend dates.

I’ve been talking with some great hammock campers about this possibility.
    Most likely these hangs will not be at Yates, but at a paid campground with full amenities.

Every paid campground, I’ve observed, cost money and has a Zero Alcohol policy.
    There are generally fewer trees suitable for hammocks. At one campground, we counted about 40 possible spots to hang hammocks—But just because it’s possible to get a hammock on two trees, doesn’t mean that spot is desirable.

If our schedules match, I’ll get to go with hosts to see several campgrounds. I will share my opinions.
    If our Facebook group leaders choose a campground, and dates for fall and spring hangs, I will wholeheartedly support their hang.

But if they do not make a new fall and spring hang (one month warmer for both) then I’ll do it myself.
    I respect my friends and know they are up to the task.

But sometimes there are logistical and scheduling problems that cannot be solved.

Summary
    Yates lives on! On time change weekend!

New hangs in fall and spring will occur at paid campgrounds. These will be about a month after time change weekend in spring. And about a month before time change weekend in the fall.

Stay tuned.
    Never be afraid to voice your opinion on our thread.
    Your thoughts are valid and valuable
    Thanks Hammock Creatures

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Phantom sometimes comes up with good ideas but this time he has come up with a great idea.

If this works out I see 3 possible scenarios;

1) This becomes a transitional period where we see if moving the Yates hang is a viable idea. It gives hangers time to get used to the idea of moving the location, and hopefully keeping it on time change weekend.

2) This scenario shows that moving the hang location is not a popular choice and is not supported, the Yates hang stays in the same place.

3) We could possibly end up with an additional two hangs each year. This could accommodate hangers with scheduling conflicts. Hangers may want the choice of place, date, and style of hang (alcohol free).

I'm all in for this starting in the fall.
    Got time to breath, you got time for music - Brisco Darlin

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    I think changing the location is not needed. Yates provides plenty of room for hammocks and tents, parking is iffy in the Spring but with the gate open in the fall there's plenty of area. Shooter and I checked out some of the other campgrounds in the area which had plenty of trees, running water for showers, etc. but I know it comes with a cost. You would have to commit to everyone pitching in for the group sites so the host(s) get the money back.

My suggestion is to keep Yates and maybe do an extra hang in that area.
    Straight out of Clayton.

Most physical hike: Grandfather Mountain, NC. Aug 13.

I don't need to make my pack lighter. I need to make my (_*_) lighter.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    After reading your posts, talking with friends, I’m thinking the same.

Yates should always be on Time Change Weekend at Yates Place Campground.

Maybe we can add another hang in the fall at a paid campground with all amenities.
    Scheduling is a challenge.
    We would want to schedule a weekend that was not same weekend as established hangs.
    I’ve been thinking of some weekends that might work.

If the fall calendar becomes oversaturated, then even if each hang has its own weekend, some hammock campers will be “camped out” too tired and too busy to go to all hangs.
    But by having many hangs available, if you have a life, or are busy with work, you can miss a hang and still go to another hang—your schedule permitting.

We can try adding a hang this fall to see if there is interest. Already Wooley Swamp Farm might be planning a Fall hang in October. It might be posted on Facebook now, and it will probably be posted on Hammock Forums later in May.

Maybe we can leave well enough, without causing logistics problems, now that we are getting a new Fall hang.

Thank you all for helping Phantom think.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner/W.Logics Snipe
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    LocoLibre UQ,WLTQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Bks, whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    After reading your posts, talking with friends, I’m thinking the same.

Yates should always be on Time Change Weekend at Yates Place Campground.

Maybe we can add another hang in the fall at a paid campground with all amenities.
    Scheduling is a challenge.
    We would want to schedule a weekend that was not same weekend as established hangs.
    I’ve been thinking of some weekends that might work.

If the fall calendar becomes oversaturated, then even if each hang has its own weekend, some hammock campers will be “camped out” too tired and too busy to go to all hangs.
    But by having many hangs available, if you have a life, or are busy with work, you can miss a hang and still go to another hang—your schedule permitting.

We can try adding a hang this fall to see if there is interest. Already Wooley Swamp Farm might be planning a Fall hang in October. It might be posted on Facebook now, and it will probably be posted on Hammock Forums later in May.

Maybe we can leave well enough, without causing logistics problems, now that we are getting a new Fall hang.

Thank you all for helping Phantom think.
    Thanks PG for all your efforts and hang thinking I would suggest going with Yates for the fall but keep interest in looking for one of those other places for the Spring Time/change next year. A good discussion for around the campfire.
    Just FYI :

The Facebook group " North Carolina Hammock Hangers " or just NC Hammock Hangers (We are Yates too!) lol, have meticulously searched fall dates as to not overlap with any others. They think they have avoided Grayson Highlands Sept 28th, PSH Fall Sprawl Oct 18-20 and of course Yates fall Hang Oct 31st - Nov. 3rd.

The NCHH Wooley Swamp fall Hang is scheduled for Oct. 4th,5th & 6th. Same place as the spring hang in Snow Hill, NC ( Near Kinston/Goldsboro). As for now or this year that will be all they are planning.
    Next year they are planning and looking to add another venue (Hang) either in the piedmont or western/foothills as to give others less driving. They will not schedule any hangs on Time change weekends and will attempt to Not have overlapping dates with any HF, PSH or TSH etc local events. This far out from next year, could be the same for them as a Spring and Fall (Prob same dates) hang and if the right farm/campground/venue is found with higher elevation and cooler temps their could be a June/Aug (summer) hang in the works. They are open for any suggestions on locations, campgrounds, farms with amenities for other NC hangs.
    Have a blessed week coming up and be safe,
    ~MooseMan "We are Yates"
    MooseMan
    North Carolina
    "It is easier to prevent bad habits than to break them" <Ben Franklin>

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Thanks Mooseman, I’ve got it marked on my calendar.
    I’ve got no current plans to move Yates to another location. We all have many good memories of Yates through the years.
    I don’t want to be the old guy who ruined Yates.

We now have a full fall 2024 calendar of top notch hangs.

I look forward to Wooley Swamp Farm EARLY October 2024. We enjoyed camping there Spring of 2024.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Done deal then....

Wooley Swamp in early (Early!) October

Yates at time change the end of the month.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast