This forum rocks…

I’ve traveled through several forums over the years for other interests, but don’t think I’ve ever learned more in such a short period of time from any other. This community is awesome.

New to hammocks and thanks to this group and have gone down the rabbit hole for what I expect will be a great experience.

I camped a lot as a kid and now have kids who are both in scouts, so we do a fair amount of car camping and backpacking. I’ve never loved ground dwelling, so here is where I landed.

My rookie setup:

WB Ridgerunner (I’m a side sleeper), Dyneema straps and whoopie slings.

WB Lynx 20 UQ

WB Superfly 20d Silpoly 13 ft. with sc to Dutch Fleaz on tie outs. I did the middle pole/tie out option because of this forum, and I don’t regret it.

TQ: TBD (I’m watching the For Sale section here)

Maiden voyage for the setup is next weekend for a Cub Scout cub-o-ree with the youngest.

Side note, I became fascinated with Amsteel and found TheBrewGuy’s post on how to make whoopie slings, so decided to give it a try. Made my first set tonight. I’ll be swapping the pair I bought from DW out on the RR and see how long I can ride them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The new whoopie slings.

Images
    Glad to hear you enjoy it! Thank you for contributing! I am guilty of reading a lot and not posting as much. It seems like there is sooooooo much information shared I don’t have much to contribute. But I am like you. I learned a lot because of the folks on this forum. We look forward to hearing more from you in the future.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    This forum rocks .. and rolls ... and swings ... and sways ... and oscillates ... and undulates ... and wobbles ... and wabbles ...
    And quite a few of us lollygag!

Welcome to life above ground. Glad you've found us!!
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Wise Owl (for now)
    Insulation
    HangtightNaturhike
    Suspension
    Straps and DIY UCR
    Welcome to the forum! I am also in the Amsteel rabbit hole. :-) Your Whoopis look great! Here's a new one to look up: UCR. It's like a Whoopi in that it can be attached on both ends and shortened or lengthened, but it uses less cord for the same length. Instead of the Whoopi approach to have the adjustable loop be basically the entire length of the cord, UCRs use a small loop on the base end and a small loop on the adjustable end. Check out Tac Blades channel on Youtube for some solid tutorials on these.
    New to hanging!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    You have a very nice setup to get started with! I love my WBRR; it's my go-to for comfort. There's a ton of tweaking that can be done with it as well. I bought the Ruta Locura carbon fiber spreader bars (Hammock Spreader Bars - Ruta Locura) and also created a ridgeline situation with the bug netting so I can hang stuff to watch movies and whatnot. Also, I bought spreader bar end protectors but have since lost one and saw that they are no longer offered. Make sure you create some kind of dripline for all 4 corners on your suspension.

Very nice job on the whoopie slings! Splicing is a fun skill to have.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCD View Post
    Welcome to the forum! I am also in the Amsteel rabbit hole. :-) Your Whoopis look great! Here's a new one to look up: UCR. It's like a Whoopi in that it can be attached on both ends and shortened or lengthened, but it uses less cord for the same length. Instead of the Whoopi approach to have the adjustable loop be basically the entire length of the cord, UCRs use a small loop on the base end and a small loop on the adjustable end. Check out Tac Blades channel on Youtube for some solid tutorials on these.
    Nice. I’ll check them out today.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman857 View Post
    You have a very nice setup to get started with! I love my WBRR; it's my go-to for comfort. There's a ton of tweaking that can be done with it as well. I bought the Ruta Locura carbon fiber spreader bars (Hammock Spreader Bars - Ruta Locura) and also created a ridgeline situation with the bug netting so I can hang stuff to watch movies and whatnot. Also, I bought spreader bar end protectors but have since lost one and saw that they are no longer offered. Make sure you create some kind of dripline for all 4 corners on your suspension.

Very nice job on the whoopie slings! Splicing is a fun skill to have.
    CF spreaders will be in the next funding cycle after I recover from the startup.

Nama Pole Guardz are on the way, since I also couldn’t find any Fugal buttons.

I’m interested in how you did your inside the net ridge. Did you swap the external shock cord for guyline to keep it fixed and then run a ridge? I’m working on a plan to hang a small rechargeable fan from a ridge inside the net.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jasmith4093 View Post
    I’m interested in how you did your inside the net ridge. Did you swap the external shock cord for guyline to keep it fixed and then run a ridge? I’m working on a plan to hang a small rechargeable fan from a ridge inside the net.
    I created a fixed-length "dog bone" from 1.75mm Zing it to connect between the internal split rings, and then I attached a Dutchware Fleaz to the external split rings. That way, I can run zing-it from each tree to the Fleaz. It's not a structural ridgeline; it's only for hanging stuff on to watch movies from.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

• + New Posts