Greetings from the Shenandoah Valley!

New Hammock hiker. First bought a Haven Hammock (tent) then a warbonnet. I like the Haven, but since I got it in Feb, my experience with it has been a cold one. Even with the added "cover" for the mattress. The blackbird was very warm with under-quilt (20) and top quilt (20) and I ordered a sock. The biggest complaint with the Haven of course is weight. 8 1/2 with the cold weather cover for mattress. But the blackbird with dyneema tarp 12', under quilt and top quilt, (not sure how much the sock will add) is about 5 1/2. Does that sound right?

I am doing the VA part of the AT, and at 67 weight is more meaningful than when I was 27. Is 5 1/2 about right for a springtime hang? My pack with 4 days of food and a liter of water is about 28 - 30 and that should be manageable. (6' 200 lbs) My goal is a through hike next year and I sure would like to take a hammock instead of a tent.

All that to say - how many hammockers have done the AT? Would you do it again with a hammock? If you use a sock was it helpful? Has anyone upgraded to a larger double=ended hammock bag?

So many questions! It has been 25 years since I did any meaningful miles with something on my back, and then we were happy to get it down to 40 pounds.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Many AT hikers use hammocks. Some have even put videos on YouTube. Good luck with your journey. Keep us posted.

Charlotte

• + New Posts