Hammock
    Hennesy Explorer XL

Smile Greetings from Summerfield NC.

Hello! I am new to hammocking. Have backpacked and camped over the years but at 63 years old I have decided that I really dislike sleeping on the ground. I purchased a Hennesee Explorer hammock a couple of weeks ago and have been watching Tube videos to try to learn from others that have experience. Certainly seems to be a learning curve involved with converting from being a ground dweller to a hammocker. I hope to finally get out on the trail in the next few weeks to see how much better I will like the hammock. Have yet to purchase an under quilt and will try to start out using my Big Agnes inflatable pad that I used test camping. Not sure how successful I will be, it seems that from what I have seen on line the majority use the UQ. Would like to hear tips from others that use the Inflatable pad and have chosen to stay with it vs using an UQ. Thanks for letting me join and looking forward to hearing from others and learning from this forum.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Welcome! Not sure how close you are to Uwharrie (closer than me though), and they have a meetup next week. I would recommend getting out there...you'll get a lot of info and get to see the various configs that people have.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...pril-4-12-4-13

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Enjoy the hammock quest~!
    A few tricks for a good pad experience. But once you go Uq...you will never look back.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Welcome to the Hobby! I used an inflatable pad for years before I got my underquilt. I had a Big Agnes bag with a pad pocket that helped to keep it from slipping around. It was extremely comfortable. the sleeping bag was a 15* and with the pad and some reflectix insulation, I slept warm to a damp 30*. I live in AL so didn't get the chance to try any lower

I hope you get a chance to get to a group hang so you can see different setups and chat about the different ways to do things.

Charlotte

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Welcome to the wonderful world of tree dwelling! If you are available this weekend (4/5-4/7), there's a hang just East of Raleigh (https://facebook.com/events/s/wooley-swamp-farm-and-campgrou/328182060190457/). I live really close (Greensboro/Browns Summit) so if you'd like to get together for a coffee and talk hammocks some time, let me know! The folks who hammock camp in NC are really awesome and very active. I moved here a couple of years ago from Colorado, and have really appreciated how welcoming the hammocking community is here.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    Hennesy Explorer XL

Wish I could but work interferes

Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Welcome! Not sure how close you are to Uwharrie (closer than me though), and they have a meetup next week. I would recommend getting out there...you'll get a lot of info and get to see the various configs that people have.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...pril-4-12-4-13
    I plan to get down the Uwharrie later this spring. I have work commitment on the weekend of the hang down there.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Great to get into Uwharries! Perfect backpacking camping opportunities abound.

A loose group of us backpack in Uwharries almost every month. Sometimes these trips are short notice and some are posted weeks in advance.

Composition of our groups vary. Sometimes there are few and sometimes a dozen. Everyone doesn’t go to all trips. If you miss one or two, go to the next one.
    Sometimes we all just go to a group car camping hang instead of backpacking that month.
    Group hangs are a good way to meet campers who want to backpack through the year.

You are welcome to join us and or venture out on your own.

• + New Posts