Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE

Banyan Bridge Quilt/Tarp Recommendations?

I'm getting close to getting a Banyan Bridge. Any recommendations on a good UQ and 3 season tarp?

Sorry I haven't posted for a while. Just getting into my semi-retirement groove.

Thanks for keeping the faith, and my money, Dutch!
    Please enter your signature here.

Dutch offers a Loco Libre UQ for the Banyan...

If your intent is to have a fly without doors, more or less, how about the two person fly he offers? Plenty of room under that to avoid the spreaders and the foot end CAN be closed. Or just a wide tarp.

With doors on both ends, there's the wide winter tarp.

(I just think a wide tarp makes a lot of sense with a bridge hammock...)
    Last edited by TominMN; 03-24-2024 at 08:54.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE
    Good advice on the wide, with spreaders would really make it roomy.

I may have to pause on the UQ and try my warbonnet UQ. The locos look sold out.

Thanks Tom!
    Please enter your signature here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hangandy View Post
    Good advice on the wide, with spreaders would really make it roomy.

I may have to pause on the UQ and try my warbonnet UQ. The locos look sold out.

Thanks Tom!
    You could go straight to Loco Libre for that. On the other hand, plenty of other vendors out there selling bridge UQs.

Images
    I have 2 tarps that I bought with bridge hammocks specifically in mind.

- Dutchware bonded Xenon rectangle tarp (11' x 114" wide, with panel pulls for external poles). By far the more minimal of the two, this one is intended mostly for keeping rain off and basic privacy. Pretty minimalist, but the rectangle shape and numerous tie out points give flexibility for improvised "doors" and such. This style tarp is a good match for a bridge hammock - for many years, Warbonnet advertised their Cloudburst rectangle tarp as a good one to pair with the Ridgerunner.

- Simply Light Designs Winter Haven (13' x 136" wide, with multiple internal pole options). Far from minimalist, this one is significantly bulkier and heavier. The 13' ridge allows for the whole hammock suspension to be enclosed under the tarp (at least on an old-model Ridgerunner this was true... not certain for the updated RR or the Banyan, but I would think so). Better wind-breaking ability, more space inside/underneath for using a stove and for bulkier winter gear. Also good for car camping trips where the weight and volume penalty aren't a concern.

~~~

The Loco Libre Ridge Reaper is a nice quilt. Like Tom said, if Dutch doesn't have it in stock, probably better to order straight from Loco Libre (customized at that). It was designed for the Ridgerunner, but is said to work just as well on the Banyan. It has a simple, adjustable suspension at one end that allows the fit to be dialed a bit. I have a 20° version and it's a quality item.

For a little less money, I could also recommend the (synthetic insulation) Ridge Creek XL from Arrowhead Equipment. Also designed to fit the Ridgerunner, but if the LL quilt can fit either hammock, then I would think the AHE Ridge Creek could work for either also. The Ridge Creek does not have the adjustable suspension that the LL Ridge Reaper has, but if one looked at how that suspension is constructed, it would be easy and inexpensive to replicate on the AHE quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post

For a little less money, I could also recommend the (synthetic insulation) Ridge Creek XL from Arrowhead Equipment. Also designed to fit the Ridgerunner, but if the LL quilt can fit either hammock, then I would think the AHE Ridge Creek could work for either also. The Ridge Creek does not have the adjustable suspension that the LL Ridge Reaper has, but if one looked at how that suspension is constructed, it would be easy and inexpensive to replicate on the AHE quilt.
    FWIW, "Mr Arrowhead" (Paul G) has this to say : "The RidgeCreek is not intended to fit the dutchware bridge hammock."

I don't know what to say to that!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    FWIW, "Mr Arrowhead" (Paul G) has this to say : "The RidgeCreek is not intended to fit the dutchware bridge hammock."

I don't know what to say to that!
    I recall reading that as well. I wondered if it might be a case of Paul not having seen how his quilt fits with a Banyan, and wanting to be upfront about that. "Is not intended to fit" isn't quite saying the same thing as "doesn't fit." The Loco Libre Ridge Reaper wasn't intended to fit the Banyan either, but apparently it does. Seems like if one quilt that was tailored for a RR will also work on the Banyan, then both quilts should. But that's just speculative thought.

I have a Banyan but have never taken the opportunity to use it so far, and I have not tested it with the Ridge Creek XL or the Ridge Reaper. Both of those quilts fit quite well to the Ridgerunner, which is what they were designed to do.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 03-25-2024 at 19:50.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    The Loco Libre Ridge Reaper wasn't intended to fit the Banyan either, but apparently it does. Seems like if one quilt that was tailored for a RR will also work on the Banyan, then both quilts should. But that's just speculative thought.
    I own both the Warbonnet Ridgerunner and the Dutchware Banyan (both 2nd editions). I also own a Loco Libre Ridge Reaper and an Arrowhead Equipment Ridge Creek. Both quilts fit both hammocks with no cold spots whatsoever. The one thing that is NOT interchangeable (which I wish was) are the spreader bars. The Dutch aluminum bars for the Banyan are actually LIGHTER than the Ruta Locura carbon fiber spreader bars. Too bad they don't work on the Ridgerunner.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Quote Originally Posted by iceman857 View Post
    I own both the Warbonnet Ridgerunner and the Dutchware Banyan (both 2nd editions). I also own a Loco Libre Ridge Reaper and an Arrowhead Equipment Ridge Creek. Both quilts fit both hammocks with no cold spots whatsoever. ...
    That's nice to know. I'm thinking about a Banyan and have no need to spend more than I have to for an UQ, as bulk and weight aren't a concern for me in this case.

Hammock
    11ft
    Tarp
    DIY or Bullfrog
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Bug
    I recently hung in my Banyan for the first time. I have an old (bought second hand so I can’t say how old) version of the UGQ full length uq.

I was able to creatively wrap the shock cord suspension around the 4 corners of the banyan and was very cozy, even too warm the 2nd night. The quilt had been set up for use with gathered end hammocks for years.

The color isn’t my first choice for my banyan, but I can’t justify buying a quilt just for the Banyan when I’m able to make work what I already have.

I did just receive a xenon wide tarp as a gift, and am eager to set it up with the interior pole mod and see how the two fit together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast