Simply Light Designs Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Wise Owl
    Insulation
    Alps TQ/Geertop UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Ridgeline-Above or Below the tarp?

Another newbie question. I have a Wise Owl tarp with tie outs on the ridgeline. I'd rather use a quick deploy ridgeline that I put together with toggles and prussik knots instead of the pre-installed tie outs. (I hate tying knots if I can help it). My question is, does my ridegline go above or below the tarp itself? I was playing a bit ion the backyard yesterday and it seemed to be better underneath (less sag).

What's best use?

Hammock
    Walahalla Monolite 1.5
    Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images
    For most weather I pitch the tarp below the ridgeline. In heavy winds or stormy weather I pitch it above the ridgeline for added support.
    Call Sign KQ4OFG

Quote Originally Posted by Sipperphoto View Post
    Anothwer newbie question. I have a Wise Owl tarp with tie outs on the ridgeline. I'd rather use a quick deploy ridgeline that I put together with toggles and prussik knots instead of the pre-installed tie outs. (I hate tying knots if I can help it). My question is, does my ridegline go above or below the tarp itself? I was playing a bit ion the backyard yesterday and it seemed to be better underneath (less sag).

What's best use?
    That little bit of sag does no harm. Three points come up often about running the ridgeline under the fly:

Snow loads might call for doing so, similar to what Randonneur pointed out. But probably not much snow in SC!

You need a decent water break on the ridgeline to stay dry when it rains.

The ridgeline could cause excess wear of the fly. Personally, I think this is hogwash. I don't know anyone who has had this problem. Note that tent rainflies are regularly pitched tightly on external poles.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I’ve always had ridgeline below tarp. I believe there is better support for tarp, to be on top of ridgeline.
    And I’ve tied a nail knot onto both ends of ridgeline, to act as drip lines.The nail knot can be slid one way or another to be a few inches under edge of tarp.

One reason to have ridgeline above tarp, is to prevent water from traveling along a ridgeline that is under the tarp, and dripping water onto person in hammock.
    And some have said if tarp is on top of ridgeline, that there can be abrasion damage to tarp in windy weather….Ive not noticed any abrasion damage.

By having ridgeline under tarp and having nail knots as drip lines, I’ve had no problem with water traveling along ridgeline and dripping on me.

Nail knots as drip lines are only tied one time…and do not have to be tied again.

Either way will work. The difference is minimal.
    I see tarps set below ridgelines at every group camp.

Make your choice and feel free to change your mind…even more than once.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Wide Rectangle
    Insulation
    Jacks r Better zip
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    Both ways are fine, like the others already said above and this topic comes up all over the place.

Try both and see what you like better, HYOH.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Wise Owl
    Insulation
    Alps TQ/Geertop UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    I’ve always had ridgeline below tarp. I believe there is better support for tarp, to be on top of ridgeline.
    And I’ve tied a nail knot onto both ends of ridgeline, to act as drip lines.The nail knot can be slid one way or another to be a few inches under edge of tarp.

One reason to have ridgeline above tarp, is to prevent water from traveling along a ridgeline that is under the tarp, and dripping water onto person in hammock.
    And some have said if tarp is on top of ridgeline, that there can be abrasion damage to tarp in windy weather….Ive not noticed any abrasion damage.

By having ridgeline under tarp and having nail knots as drip lines, I’ve had no problem with water traveling along ridgeline and dripping on me.

Nail knots as drip lines are only tied one time…and do not have to be tied again.

Either way will work. The difference is minimal.
    I see tarps set below ridgelines at every group camp.

Make your choice and feel free to change your mind…even more than once.
    With the Nail knot, is the leader end just hanging down?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I knew there was a better reason to have the RL over the tarp, besides the concern for abrasion on the tarp material. Phantom nailed it. When the support ridgeline is under the tarp, you have to pay more attention to having a water break so the line doesn't become a highway for rainwater to flow down the line to your hammock.

I'd put the ridgeline under the tarp in the winter because rain is not an issue; snow is. It will provide more support if a lot-o-snow comes from the sky or overhead branch.

Other times, over the tarp, it's a handy line for things to dry on in the sun. If you are using the external pole mode on the tarp panel pulls, it keeps the separating poles off the tarp body.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Wise Owl
    Insulation
    Alps TQ/Geertop UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I knew there was a better reason to have the RL over the tarp, besides the concern for abrasion on the tarp material. Phantom nailed it. When the support ridgeline is under the tarp, you have to pay more attention to having a water break so the line doesn't become a highway for rainwater to flow down the line to your hammock.

I'd put the ridgeline under the tarp in the winter because rain is not an issue; snow is. It will provide more support if a lot-o-snow comes from the sky or overhead branch.

Other times, over the tarp, it's a handy line for things to dry on in the sun. If you are using the external pole mode on the tarp panel pulls, it keeps the separating poles off the tarp body.
    I'm heading out for my first time hanging this weekend. Forecast is calling for rain. I never really thought about the rain coming down the ridegline, but it makes sense.
    I'll probably go over, not under this weekend.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I always hang my tarp under the ridgeline.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    I always hang my tarp under the ridgeline.
    Same here - I don't want any abrasion.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast