Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've always suspended my tarp below the ridgeline for the reasons stated above, abrasion and water. As others have also stated, HYOH. Hang it above and hang below then figure out what works best for you.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Has anyone that hung their tarp on top of their ridgeline, noticed any abrasion?

I’ve been hanging tarps directly on top of ridgelines, for ten years, and have never noticed any abrasion, although I’ve not specifically looked for any abrasion. I try to hammock camp at least 12 times a year. That’s about 24 nights a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Has anyone that hung their tarp on top of their ridgeline, noticed any abrasion?

I’ve been hanging tarps directly on top of ridgelines, for ten years, and have never noticed any abrasion, although I’ve not specifically looked for any abrasion. I try to hammock camp at least 12 times a year. That’s about 24 nights a year.
    I think it's an urban myth. (Maybe suburban or even rural!)

We need it fact-checked.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I just spent a year hammocking in a windy desert. During that time, when the wind was pre-rain, I would often put my tarps over the ridgeline to keep it from ripping at the tieouts. That did happen to one of them.
    During that time the only wear I noticed was on an older tarp that had the ridgeline seam taped. The tape, which was dry (like everything out here) and starting to crack, caught on the ridgeline while it was being blown about and added some to the peeling.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Thanks LowTech for giving us in the field observation of your tarps over time.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    For the tarp I use a continuous ridgeline with, I put it under the ridgeline. I became a believer in abrasion when I took a tarp on a bike tour on gravel, and the vibrations in my pack caused the guy lines (which were a somewhat stiff dyneema blend) to rub right through the stuff sack. I’m just lucky it was the stuff sack and not part of the tarp that got the damage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Superior Hammock / Dutch / Majestic
    Tarp
    Superior Shelter
    Insulation
    Superior Hammock
    Suspension
    SuperiorSuspension
    You know, there is another solution that avoids knots!

I was on this same path looking to avoid knots for my non scouting friends and finding a solutions when I realized there is some great hardware available that can solve this problem. Also, the benefit is to lessen the sag that you get when using a continuous ridgeline and place the tarp underneath.

Anyway, Superior gear's tarp has a unique setup but it doesn't look like you can purchase it on their site separately yet. If I'm wrong I'm so sorry. It has an adjuster on each end of the tarp and then two small carabiners to go around the tree. It works like a charm and so quick to set up.

What I started doing for my non knot friends is to utilize two dutch fleaz https://dutchwaregear.com/product/fleaz/ Tie one end to each end of your tarp and then just adjust the flea to the right setting. It is super easy and no knots needed.

You could also do the same thing with a nama claw https://www.namagear.com/shop

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12