Introduction 2: Still New / MN / motorcycle camping

Hey guys, I'm from MN (NW of mpls), got a HH deep jungle XL a few years ago expecting to get into backpacking but life just wouldn't allow it. Successfully used maybe 6 nights. Getting really interested again and putting together a full kit. Trying to work a bivy and closed cell into the mix, but currently really need a comfortable pad and underquilt to bridge the gap.

In the interest of saving threads, if anyone has recommendations for really cozy pads that will still fit between the HH layers, and smaller/lighter underquilts that could also be used as a normal quilt for a bivy, I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Also if anyone is in MN and has tips on good parks and areas to camp, let me know. I help run a large motorcycle group and I'm planning on doing as many overnight bike trips as I can, hopefully a cross country run as well. Any bike campers/backpackers out there, I'd love your input.

Hammock
    AHE Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidg Owyhee
    Suspension
    DIY
    See if this fits the bill for your quilt. https://www.jacksrbetter.com/product...hammock-quilt/

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Welcome from Utah. I motorcycle camp a lot, and one of the best pieces of equipment, in addition to a good topquilt/underquilt, is the Tensa4 stand. The Tensa4 will really help open up your opportunities for camping when out on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    Welcome from Utah. I motorcycle camp a lot, and one of the best pieces of equipment, in addition to a good topquilt/underquilt, is the Tensa4 stand. The Tensa4 will really help open up your opportunities for camping when out on the road.
    y'know I had totally written off the idea of a stand but I didn't consider that I have a lot of extra gear space on the bike itself... I mean it's a goldwing so might as well fill it up lol. but yeah that's what the bivy and closed cell would be for, anywhere I can't hang or if I get lost/injured on the trail, always have it on me. although a stand would mean I could park anywhere and set up a really comfy camp on the spot... yeah I'm gonna look into that. thanks.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, WBRR, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB SF / CB
    Insulation
    HG UQ's LL+HG TQ's
    Suspension
    CB's/TurtleTies
    Hope this helps.

Hammock:
    The Tensa4 Stand packs in the left pannier along with a Helinox Sunset chair.
    I keep a cooler bag with ice and drinks in the right pannier.
    The hammock, tarp, top & bottom quilt, and accessories go in the T-Bag strapped on the rear seat.
    Extremely comfortable setup.

Tent:
    I also use a 2-person tent with an air mat when camping at the beach due to ocean spray.
    The Tent and Helinox Sunset chair fit in the left pannier.
    The 4" thick Exped Down Mat, top quilt, and accessories go in the T-Bag strapped on the rear seat.

20210815_191809.jpg

20210824_193810.jpg
    "When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power. The world will know peace." ~ Jimi Hendrix
    "No matter where you go, there you are." ~ Buckaroo Banzai

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    Hope this helps.

Hammock:
    The Tensa4 Stand packs in the left pannier along with a Helinox Sunset chair.
    The hammock, tarp, top & bottom quilt, and accessories go in the T-Bag strapped on the rear seat.
    Extremely comfortable setup.
    This is basically how I pack mine up too. That Tensa4 stand has helped give me some really, really good nights of sleep out on the road.

OP I used to pack both my hammock stuff and a tent, but never used the tent. I never pack the tent anymore.

• + New Posts