one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    This lightweight Lawson cord could be good with Farrimond friction hitch. Farrimond friction hitch is the only slip and grip hitch that can be tied in the bight—that is without access to either end of cord.

You can tie it with three wraps (yields 6 coils) or if cord is slipping, you can tie it with six wraps (yielding 12 coils). Since this new cord has a grainy texture, three wraps will probably hold well enough.
    Thank you Phantom! You just saved me from starting another knot post, or adding to our knot thread from this summer. I found several repeating situations this past year where I would have liked knowing a friction hitch that I could tie in the bight. I did try "in the bight" versions of the others that I use but didn't find them satisfying.

@LawsonEquipment being a 1.5 does that mean that it will also work w/ some of the knotless bling? I'll admit that I sometimes have trouble w/ the smaller cords, too much rock working and wrenching on equipment has made it so that not all cords want to stay in my hands.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    You are welcome LowTech. And thanks to British actor and radio personality, Barry Farrimond, for giving us his namesake knot in 2007 at a Welsh bushcraft festival.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    You are welcome LowTech. And thanks to British actor and radio personality, Barry Farrimond, for giving us his namesake knot in 2007 at a Welsh bushcraft festival.
    I wanna know who the Square Knot is named after! And maybe the Girth Hitch too.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Hahaha, I don’t know

that's interesting

the combination of dyneema and polyester in the same braid is weird, but i know i'm talking to somebody who actually does r&d and tests stuff, so if you say you arrived at this to have light weight and capability even for the humble taut line, then i'm intrigued (the problem, obviously, is that polyester stretches a lot more under load than dyneema, even for the same relative load (% of line strength), and the line strength of same size strands of dyneema and polyester is wildly different in favor of dyneema (so even bigger difference in stretch) this causes such mixed braids to endup not having "synergy" between the materials. but i can imagine a well chosen 3d braid geometry (is that a term?) could mittigate enough of that problem to make the mix viable.

i think there's place for 1.5mm line of good quality; some of my own "inventions" that were posted here rely on a pre-tied friction hitch at the tarp, which can benefit from smaller line to have better hold on the main guyline (so you could construct the friction setup at the tarp out of this 1.5mm wonder thing, and the guylines out of 2mm glowire or even dyneema which some people like for guylines -- i could never quite get why). such setups make hardware based setups look bulky and "stone age", by comparison, especially when you have good quality line to make them with, as they are easier to use, lighter, less bulky, and all soft, so nicer to pack tight. another nice thing i could see this used for, is the full rigging for a poncho (based on the same setups i mentioned); i do this right now with sub-2mm pp rope, which is nice (very light, quite cheap and strong enough, some of it even spliceable), but good quality line tested to work well with knotty setups could be nice to have (for the ponchos, it's nice to go as thin as possible, as it is only an occasional shelter, and you'd like the entire thing to fit in the pocket of the poncho unnoticed until it is needed, and also easy and quick to use when the time comes; with these setups i mentioned where you don't need to tie the knots in the field, the size of the line, and the difficulty to tie knots, becomes a non-issue)

i'm curious to hear what people make with this when it becomes available (i have little hope it will be available on this side of the pond, otherwise i'd get a hank of it to play with for sure). thanks for the tease :)

i think it's really cool when manufacturers can connect with their users as they develop products, it both makes sense and it is more fun for everybody.
    Last edited by nanok; 03-24-2024 at 06:55.

Your Welcome Phantom Grappler : ) But the reality is, Thankyou!. I like making lines. For years I have been backlogged. I am no longer, so I am going to start making more niche lines.. Hopefully stuff that solves some "problems"..

Hi Lowtech,
    In theory it should work with some stuff, but I don't know what because I have not tested it with any hardware. For years I have received emails asking me for a super small line that works good with knots. I kicked the tires on making this stuff years ago. Maybe 2015-2018? I released it, but I don't even remember the name I used or what year it was.. It was sized similarly, and I do remember how I made it, but I couldn't blend the yarns very good back then. So I discontinued it pretty quickly. Not due to bad reviews or anything. I just kept having problems making it.. Just like my "Survival Wire" line. That stuff was suppose to make paracord obsolete.. hahahaha.. BUT It was a nightmare to make.

Hi Nanok,
    You are correct in saying that it is "weird", but I have found that blending different yarns (Polyester, Dyneema, Technora, etc) in the cover/core improve upon characteristics of each type of fiber and allows you to do something you couldn't really do good with only one type of fiber. In this lines case, the Polyester adds color to the line as well as "grip". That way it will hold a hitch type knot really good.. As you know, a pure HMPE line is very slippery due to the low coefficient of friction (basically creating a self lubricating non stick surface). A urethane coating could be used, but it would wear off.. So the Polyester minimizes that "problem" for the line in question.. The Polyester also adds bulk to the line, making it the proper size. If I used Polyester by itself, it would not really be "strong enough" in such a small size and if braided alone this tight, it would be extremely stretchy. Almost like a Nylon Accessory Cord... The Polyester is also not nearly as abrasion resistant or cut resistant as HMPE yarn.. So adding the HMPE yarn really juices up the strength, significantly reduces the stretch to the point where its a low stretch line, it greatly improves upon the abrasion resistance, as well as the cut resistance. It becomes a very nice harmony of properties for the targeted application. Small diameter hitch knot type line.

That said, you present a very interesting use case.. This could be the perfect line for that use.. It also makes a good prusik knot line as its smaller than a 2mm ridgeline, yet its very bumpy in construction due to the tight diamond braid. In regards to going across the pond. What country?

Thanks,
    Lawson
    Last edited by LawsonEquipment; 03-25-2024 at 06:42.

it sounds intriguing indeed, i'm even wondering if using polypropylene as the "color and friction" strand wouldn't be interesting as an alternative (good quality pp is nearly as strong as polyester, is 100% water fobic much as dyneema, and is even lighter than dyneema itself).

an example of what i mean would be herehttps://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...hitch-variant). the blue-ish line in the picture could be the new 1.5mm hitch line, it could make for a micro, nearly invisible tensioning system at the tarp tieout (and i already made variants with a pull tail of a different color, for easy release, when using small line, and it works well, so that's not a concern even with winter gloves)

location: i tend to move around, but let me know in a message if/whenever you have something in mind (or if you have some recommended distributors anywhere in europe)

thanks again for the insight

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12