Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comfort of Single vs Double Layer Hammock

I'm looking at getting my first quality hammock (currently have a gathered end 10ft from Amazon, SunYear brand), and starting to lean towards Warbonnet Blackbird XLC.

I watch a lot of YT videos about hammocks and heard The Marine say that he highly recommends a single layer hammock for comfort (conforms better to the body), and to only get a double layer if I need the weight support or want to use a pad between layers. I've never heard that reason given by anyone else, so thought I'd bring it up and ask if having the double layer is more uncomfortable than a single layer. I may want to try a pad sometime, but am mostly leaning towards an underquilt.

I'm 217 pounds (98.4 kg), 6ft 2in (188cm), so not a heavyweight. I'm not currently a backpacker, more car camping. Even the single layer XLC has a comfort rating up to 275 pounds, so I'm curious if I'd lose comfort by getting either of the double versions.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have a video on that subject that may give you some insight.
    And really a double layer is not required for a pad. You can just lay it in the hammock and lay on it.
    Enjoy the hammock quest.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

One of my hammocks is double layer and not because I ever intend to use a pad in it. I happen to prefer the stiffness it provides. Some folks like more stretch. My others are single layer, primarily to keep the weight and bulk at a minimum.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    If you dont need the additional weight capacity that a second layer provides then it becomes a matter of personal preference. I have both single and double layer hammocks. Myself I prefer a stiffer lay, so I usually opt for either a lightweight double layer or a more robust single layer fabric like Mtn 1.7XL for example.

Warbonnet makes fantastic hammocks, so you wont be disappointed either way.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LL UQ, WB Diamond
    Suspension
    Whoopie or BH
    I agree with the prior posts on it being a personal preference. I enjoy my Wilderness Logics DL for the lay and feel. But for longer distances I'll often use a SL hammock for reduced weight.

Prior to getting a cold weather UQ, I did use a pad in the DL hammock for the extra insulation in winter.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    I thought I was going to use a pad when I bought my double-layer SLD Trail Lair (Hexon 1.6) — I never have put a pad in it, and I got a single-layer (Hexon 1.2) for backpacking (since a double-layer is essentially carrying two hammocks), but whenever I use it, I’m struck by how much I like the firm lay and overall comfort. I light the lighter one to carry (and it’s comfy in its own way), but the double-layer sure sleeps nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks all! I appreciate the variety of views and experiences.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Wide Rectangle
    Insulation
    Jacks r Better zip
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    I prefer the firmness of a double layer, in find it more comfortable but some other non pad benefits as well.

I find it easier to get in and out out. When you have really stretchy hammocks and you sit up there is a bit of a bounce as you shift weight and the hammock dips down and pushes your center of gravity lower. The dual layers just stay firm and keeps your balance better.

I find it easier to sleep on my side, which you think firmness wouldn't help but for me it does.

I don't know if it's actually true but if you are camping in the summer and might not have an UQ, then it can prevent mosquitoes from bitting through the bottom

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Funny, perspective with hammocks is everything.

All the hammocks I have made for my friends and I, have been double layers .... except for a couple of prototypes. Not for firmness and really not for extra strength. My main agenda is 1) I worry about mosquitos biting through a single layer and 2) I like a nice hand feel (soft fabric) for the inner layer

So pairing something like RSBTR MTN 1.2 outer with a HyperD 1.0 inner, gives an impressive weight capacity, fairly low weight, "bug bite proof", soft interior feel.

Having said that, you can certainly use a double layer just for weight capacity, but I think it falls well short of what a double layer can provide to a hammock design.

My first hammock was single layer. The mosquitos here in the Southeast made a buffet of my back so I bought a double layer XLC. I find it comfortable. I did have to play with the setup until I found what I like. I still use a single layer netless hammock in the Winter. I like the open feeling. I have a netless double layer that I like when it’s really cold. I slip my hiking clothes in between the two layers. They stay warm.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast