WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Bridge hammock ridge line formula

Question- with a simple end bar bridge hammock, what would the formula for ridge line length be? 1. Single ridgeline from apex to apex. 2. A double ridge line similar to the banyon bridge? Thx for the help! Also, has any one added a double ridgline to a diy bridge hammock? Thx for the help! ( just kicking around a few ideas for a future project!)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Good question, but it also begets further questions.

Do you want a fixed (functional) ridge line or just a ridge line to hold up a bug net?

I actually use a single fixed ridge line to set my bridge hammock angle (which I don't see posted much) and the length for a single is pretty simple to calculate or determine empirically in the trees. Have done it both ways and the results are pretty much the same.

The Banyan with it's dual ridge lines are pretty much there to hold up the bug net and I don't think they are functional/fixed ridge lines. While I think the concept is pretty cool for purpose, just not sure you could actually have dual fixed ridge lines in that configuration, without distorting the suspension triangle.

Soooo .... are you looking for a fixed or bug net holder type?

Brian

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I know you're looking for a general formula but if your bridge is near the dimension of the RidgeRunner, you can use WarBonnet's sizes.

Their recommended distance from apex to apex is 13 ft. However, one of my adventure partners prefers 12 ft. It's less tippy, more bathtub, that way. One concern - and there are a few posts about this - is some owners, in an attempt to reduce the distance required between supports, shortened the dogbone suspension. That put more compression stress on the spreader bars and they were damaged.

My recommendation, if you don't want to hunt around for trees far enough apart for the bridge, is to bring a Tensa Pole (or similar support). That way, you can put your "second tree" anywhere convenient.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser51 View Post
    Good question, but it also begets further questions.

Do you want a fixed (functional) ridge line or just a ridge line to hold up a bug net?

I actually use a single fixed ridge line to set my bridge hammock angle (which I don't see posted much) and the length for a single is pretty simple to calculate or determine empirically in the trees. Have done it both ways and the results are pretty much the same.

The Banyan with it's dual ridge lines are pretty much there to hold up the bug net and I don't think they are functional/fixed ridge lines. While I think the concept is pretty cool for purpose, just not sure you could actually have dual fixed ridge lines in that configuration, without distorting the suspension triangle.

Soooo .... are you looking for a fixed or bug net holder type?

Brian
    I think I already answered my own question! I agree with you- as I understand it, the banyon bridge double ridgeline is pretty unique- its not really a structural ridge line, but holds the bug net up and serves as a reference when hanging the hammock. So, I think its kind of a hybrid of the two. Thx for the help!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Yar- There is no formula.

SHORT ANSWER- make an 'infinite ridgeline', adjust until your heart is content (or at least for now it is) and then make a fixed ridgeline for field use.
    IE- put a fixed eye splice on one end of a 16' hunk of 7/64" amsteel.
    Then put on a second 4' or so hunk on that to build a UCR style ridgeline that gives you a wide range.
    In a pinch- you can also girth hitch a pair of whoopie slings together too.

Structural Ridge line vs Non-structural is first question.
    RR= no ridge line. (Ridgerunner holds up the net with some shock cord.)
    Banyon is a hybrid (it takes a little load).
    Mine are fully structural and adjustable. (though I agree with Cruiser in that most of my customers adjust then find their sweet spot and never adjust again (IE- could go fixed).

Spreader bars and dogbone sizes dictate the end triangles- which then dictates where the apex is when dead flat.

Your angle from the spreader bar tip to the tree comes after that.

You can then tune a bit for 'sit height' like mine so you don't have to duck your head (like the banyon) or lay in like the RR.

You might tweak things a bit for tarp sizes so your tarp can fully cover the connections.

Finally- you tune the bridge for balance.

And ultimately in my case- you provide a few inches of adjustment in case your back is acting up more than your shoulder on day three, or you want to sleep on your tummy one night vs your side another...
    or most importantly; your customers may want to make the choice on their own.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Getting perilously close to wisdom there, Bill.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Wow! That is great advice! Thx!

--unknown

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I know you're looking for a general formula but if your bridge is near the dimension of the RidgeRunner, you can use WarBonnet's sizes.

Their recommended distance from apex to apex is 13 ft. However, one of my adventure partners prefers 12 ft. It's less tippy, more bathtub, that way. One concern - and there are a few posts about this - is some owners, in an attempt to reduce the distance required between supports, shortened the dogbone suspension. That put more compression stress on the spreader bars and they were damaged.

My recommendation, if you don't want to hunt around for trees far enough apart for the bridge, is to bring a Tensa Pole (or similar support). That way, you can put your "second tree" anywhere convenient.
    That is what I do in my backyard. I use my purchased Tensa in the house or on the back porch. Although I did pack it on a plane trip to an Adirondack camp ground once. Other than that, it has strictly been used on floors. And I have yet to get it set up correctly for my bridge hammocks.
    But in my back yard sits 1/2 of my DIY Tensa. My JRB bridhe requires about 11 feet or so between the apexes, the WB about 13. As you say, I put my 2nd tree where ever is best for whichever hammock, bridge or otherwise. For some reason, though I have had them on there temporarily, I have never added a perm RL to my bridge hammocks. If I did, I would shoot for the manufacturer recommended distance between apex. If DIY, I would determine what distance between apexes was most comfy and stable, and then add the RL between the apexes. But, what I mostly do is just eyeball for what I know is the correct amount of sag or even reverse banana so to speak. Or, with the WB, I adjust the tree straps for roughly 25º rather than the oft recommended 30 for my GEs. This all seems to work out just fine.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-14-2024 at 09:20.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    -
    1 Hang it up
    2 Lay in it
    3 Adjust until it's comfy