Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for an officially approved hammock stand installation plan

Hello everyone!

I'm new here. I've loved hammocks and hammock camping for many years, but I have a specific goal in mind at the moment.

There is a group of Scouts BSA leaders working on the idea of developing a plan for creating hammock camping sites at out local Scout Camp.

The initial hurdle is finding specific, government approved designs and specifications for installing relatively single hammock stands.

We're not interesting in the common wheel-and-spoke design I typically come across. we don't have the space for that.

Our idea of a plan was closer to the common backyard DIY design of two posts sunk several feet deep with hooks or eyelets on them, so they don't have to be in a huge circle. But I need to find something similar to that design that has some design and schematic approval behind it, or to point me in the right direction, would be greatly helpful.

A great big thank you to you all!

Images
    Which Scout Troops are you affiliated with?

Quote Originally Posted by Crescentroll42 View Post
    Hello everyone!

I'm new here. I've loved hammocks and hammock camping for many years, but I have a specific goal in mind at the moment.

There is a group of Scouts BSA leaders working on the idea of developing a plan for creating hammock camping sites at out local Scout Camp.

The initial hurdle is finding specific, government approved designs and specifications for installing relatively single hammock stands.

We're not interesting in the common wheel-and-spoke design I typically come across. we don't have the space for that.

Our idea of a plan was closer to the common backyard DIY design of two posts sunk several feet deep with hooks or eyelets on them, so they don't have to be in a huge circle. But I need to find something similar to that design that has some design and schematic approval behind it, or to point me in the right direction, would be greatly helpful, especially regarding the incorporation of a stabilization bar.

A great big thank you to you all!
    To find government-approved designs and specifications for installing single hammock stands for your Scout Camp, consider checking government websites related to outdoor recreation, consulting with outdoor organizations or associations, exploring DIY communities for advice, consulting with professional engineers, contacting local authorities for regulations and permits, and reaching out to other Scout BSA groups for insights and resources.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    https://gearjunkie.com/camping/hammo...ammock-hanging I havnt been to this park, but it looks pretty cool! You could probably contact the people who built the park and find out what speciations they used.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Check with National. See if they have anything.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    We are all free to choose our own path, at least for now, and some scientists have postulated there is no such thing as free will, that our choices are predetermined by the universe.

I’m of the opinion that, going down the rabbit hole of twin bureaucracies of federal government and Boy Scouts of America (National)will lead to group think, over engineered hammock stands.

Here is one solution that will not be offered by any large group. Reginald & Gladys Laubin wrote a book: The Indian Tipi. Page 45 has a diagram showing how American Indians that lived on the plains could rapidly construct a tripod to be used for base of their tipis.
    The Indian tripod lashing is far superior to official Boy Scout tripod lashing. Boy Scout tripod lashing consumes excessive time and rope, in addition to not being as sturdy as Indian tripod lashing.

Their tripod lashing can be completed in seconds, while lashing a tripod with BSA method can take a considerable amount of time and rope.

Seven poles per hammock will be used. Six equal length poles for two tripods, and one pole to span between both tripods.

My solution is probably a non starter-fail
    Teen age boys will overload hammocks, causing collapse of tripods.

When an Alphabet Agency and BSA begins design, they will have to think of legal liabilities. By its nature, their hammock stands will have to be over built to prevent lawsuits. Enter lawyers, engineers and bureaucrats.

Anything they build will have to withstand the weight of a group of teenage boys jumping onto a hammock.

Enter Phantom Think…why not plant suitable trees, the ideal distance apart. Given time, nature can provide.

Best of luck , I’m sure you will research and find designs that will work for Scout hammock camping.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post

When an Alphabet Agency and BSA begins design, they will have to think of legal liabilities. By its nature, their hammock stands will have to be over built to prevent lawsuits. Enter lawyers, engineers and bureaucrats.

Phantom,

Scout camps are mostly owned by local councils. Due to that, they are required to conform to National's standards. So, if there are such standards for hanging hammocks, whether you and I might possibly agree that they may not be reasonable, they need to be followed. And if they are unreasonable, they need to be changed.

Just sayin'...

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    I know my camp (Camp Bowers, Cape Fear Council, White Oak, NC) just had some installed — they might have been part of a Wood Badge ticket, I’m not sure. They are just four stout corner poles in concrete, with a square framework, so probably four hammocks per stand.

I’m not sure we really *needed* them, as we have no shortage of good trees, but they’re nice, and spaced out far enough to accommodate a bridge hammock.

The camp takes its accreditation fairly seriously, so I don’t think there can have been a conflict with rules from national. These are nearly identical to some that have been put in in Lumber River State Park, which is also in our area. I think those were an Eagle project a number of years ago.

Phantom is right that they’d have to be a bit overengineered, because teenagers will certainly test their limits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you know of someone with architectural abilities you could ask them for some advice.

Derek Hansen's Ultimate Hang is a great resource for information hanging hammocks. The Hammock Hang Calculator is full of information.
    Screenshot 2024-03-13 160428.jpg

Personally I think that if you took 12' 4x4 or 6x6 posts and planted them in cement 4-6' deep (Depending on your frost layer depth). You should have posts that would be able to handle any hammock and hanger. You could also add a ridge beam to add additional strength.

Lastly, as a Canadian Scouter, I think that this a fantastic project. I know that your youth will enjoy helping to building it and hanging in it for years to come.

Sticking wooden poles in concrete is a truly bad idea. Concrete traps moisture and accelerates rot, even with treated posts. Best to pack gravel around the posts.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast