The Continuous Tarp Ridgeline Definitive Answer

Hello, I have been running a Dynaglide continuous ridgeline with dutch wasp and a micro beaner and prusiks with hooks for years which has been fine, but in the spirit of wanting to try something new, I am interested in hearing other, perhaps lighter options? Is Zing/Lash It the go to gold standard? Is there something better?

Hammock
    DIY 11.5' (Hexon Wide 1.6)
    Tarp
    Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CDT Underquilt
    Suspension
    Web/Marlin Spike
    I use something very similar...
    Dutch hook, Wasp, 1.8mm Dyneema line

But have NAMA Claws that my tarp,
    And choose to use a dutchware Cord Winder for storage.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I use 2.2 Lash-It for continuous tarp ridgeline and prusik loops to keep tarp taut on ridgeline.

A smaller diameter cord for prusik would grip better, but I use 2.2 for both prusik and ridgeline.
    Instead of a 3 wrap prusik, I use a 6 wrap prusik, for a better grip.

Also I before I add prusik to ridgeline, I tie a short loop and place it with one side touching ridgeline.
    Then I tie prusik around both the circular loop and ridgeline at same time.
    This small loop that just fits my hand, is used as a come-along to easily pull prusik to new spots on ridgeline.

To get a mental image of this come-along loop being included inside prusik and ridgeline.
    In your minds eye, imagine a bicycle tire (the loop) touching a straight line (the tarp ridgeline.
    Now tie prusik around both come-along-loop and ridgeline simultaneously.

If knots are not your cup of tea, then Nama Claws and or a combination of Dutch’s ultralight titanium hardware will accomplish the task.

Many of my friends use hardware. Hardware is fast and effective.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I'm a continuous ridgeline person. I use 2.2 ZingIt. On one end, in an eye splice, I attached a metal mitten clip with the gate pulled off. So it's like a Dutch hook but with a bigger (easier) opening. I have a DutchWare Wasp on the other side of the ridgeline. This spring/summer, I'll swap that out for a tactical toggle. The non-hook piece is never in the right place and I think the toggle will slide to where I want it easier than the Wasp.

The hammock hangs on first-generation NAMA Claws. When packed in its snakeskin, the tarp's end rings would work themselves out of the NAMA jaws. So I made some small cord loops and now attach the rings to the Claws with that loop between the tarp end-ring and the Claw and cinched down on the Claw with a hitch.

The Split ridgeline will be lighter, but you'll be subjecting your trap to more potential damage because it will be part of the suspension system - taking whatever force is applied to the ridgeline.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    11' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Beckett and EVOs
    I'm an oddball - I like having a split ZingIt ridgeline, but since I did not want to potentially damage my tarp I run a ZingIt whoopie ridgeline on the tarp itself between the two individual ridge tie-outs. It's essentially a 3-piece ridgeline.
    I was originally thinking of running a 3-piece ridgeline but since I was unsure of my skill to be able to splice the "middle" ridgeline as exactly as I wanted, I went with a whoopie to be able to adjust it.
    I originally started with a one-piece ridgeline and some Dutchware pieces, but I was never happy with it. Mainly because of the extra work to adjust things. I did buy some Nama Claws a little while back to try out on a one-piece again, so maybe I'll finally get around to trying that soon

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    My rigging varies between tarps — for my big one with doors (SLD Winter Haven), I have a continuous ridgeline with zing-it, a little Dutchware hook on one end, and a Dutch wasp for the other. I have Nama claws on it, as I’ve had trouble with prusiks slipping on dyneema cordage. For my backpacking tarps (12’ HG hex and Dutch Asym, depending on the forecast), I have zing-it on each side, with Dutch wasps. Less overall fiddling, but harder to center. Both seem to work fine. I’ve gotten better at working with the wasps, which have a bit of a learning curve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I like a continuous ridgeline, and use it on all my tarps. I did make a change recently on cordage and connections though. I was using the DW continuous ridgeline (1.75 yellow zing-it, Dutch hook, wasp, prusiks), but was having issues with the prusiks getting stuck (especially in wet weather), and my fingers are too used/broken/worn out to use the DW hardware effectively like they deserve to be used.

All my ridgelines are now 2.0 reflective line from Hammock Gear, with a mini-carabiner on one end, and a Loop Alien on the other that I use in toggle mode. I still use prusiks to connect the tarp, but they are bigger, and I incorporated the "patent-pending" Phantom Grappler pull loops on them. Much easier on my fingers, and much faster to adjust.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    I like a continuous ridgeline, and use it on all my tarps. I did make a change recently on cordage and connections though. I was using the DW continuous ridgeline (1.75 yellow zing-it, Dutch hook, wasp, prusiks), but was having issues with the prusiks getting stuck (especially in wet weather), and my fingers are too used/broken/worn out to use the DW hardware effectively like they deserve to be used.

All my ridgelines are now 2.0 reflective line from Hammock Gear, with a mini-carabiner on one end, and a Loop Alien on the other that I use in toggle mode. I still use prusiks to connect the tarp, but they are bigger, and I incorporated the "patent-pending" Phantom Grappler pull loops on them. Much easier on my fingers, and much faster to adjust.
    Myers Tech was the first place I saw that pull loop being used and I included it in my setup after that. Guess PG can't patent it .
    I've just recently started using Klemheist hitches for friction hitches that are always pulled from the same direction (like tarp to ridgeline connections) some w/ and some w/o pull loops for testing. I really like how easy they are to make, they seem to grip better than the Prussic and free up super easy.
    I was concerned at first that they would fall off if I packed up the line w/ them on it and nothing attached but I've been using them on a line that is for a gear hammock and I remove the hammock before packing the line every time . . . so far I've had no issues. At this point I've probably moved locations and packed that line a dozen times or so.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    I've used many setups thru the years, but that's mostly b/c I like to fiddle with things. What I'm currently running is 1.8 zingit with a loop spliced in one end, a sliding plastic toggle, and a nama claw. I use this on each end of the tarp, not continuous. I go around the tree with the loop end and slide the toggle into place where the loop can catch it and cinch that around the tree, then hook the nama claw onto the tarp and pull tight.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    Myers Tech was the first place I saw that pull loop being used and I included it in my setup after that. Guess PG can't patent it .
    I've just recently started using Klemheist hitches for friction hitches that are always pulled from the same direction (like tarp to ridgeline connections) some w/ and some w/o pull loops for testing. I really like how easy they are to make, they seem to grip better than the Prussic and free up super easy.
    I was concerned at first that they would fall off if I packed up the line w/ them on it and nothing attached but I've been using them on a line that is for a gear hammock and I remove the hammock before packing the line every time . . . so far I've had no issues. At this point I've probably moved locations and packed that line a dozen times or so.

"Sent w/o me knowing"
    That's cool, and some historical context. Good info about the Klemheist. I've seen you post about it several times, and finally checked it out on Animated Knots. That definitely looks like something I'm going to be using. Thanks for evangelizing that.

• + New Posts