Any Virginia hangs coming up this spring/summer?

Interested in learning of any Virginia hangs being planned?

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Welcome to the Forum!! Glad you are interested in groups hangs. They are a great way to meet fellow hammock enthusiasts and learn tips and techniques.

You won't typically find a lot of summer group hangs, particularly in the South. Most folks like cooler weather for their hangs.

Unless there's some stealth hang I'm not aware of, there are only three Virginia group hangs each year. The NoVA Hang happens in in November (Yojimbo puts that together) and the Chili Butt Hang in February (Uphill puts that together). Both are typically held in Prince William Forest Park. There have been exceptions, for example Chili Butt was held at Marsden Tract, MD just north of DC this year. But those will probably be your closest options from Charlottesville. The Mt. Rogers Winter Hang (slowhike puts that together) happens in January at Grayson Highlands State Park.

If you are willing to travel as far as Grayson Highlands State Park (about 4 hours from Charlottesville), then you should consider group hangs in bordering states as well.

The NC Yates Hang happens twice a year in March and November. That's also about 4 hours from Charlottesville at the Yates Place Campground near Troy NC. I think there are also a number of ad-hoc hikes/hangs throughout the year in NC. I've seen quite a few notices pop up for events in the Uwarries. Phantom Grappler seems to be a key POC for Yates and other NC events. I haven't been to any NC hangs, so I'm not as familiar with them.

The biggest group hang in the central Atlantic states is MAHHA. Dutch (of Dutchware Gear) hosts the event twice a year in April and September. In recent years it's been held at Caledonia State Park (about 3 hours from Charlottesville) but the next one will be the Ambush Airsoft & Paintball Adventure Park in Conestoga PA (about 4 hours from Charlottesville).

You can figure out a lot by reviewing the postings listed here in the Hangout, Campouts, and Trip Planning thread for the past few years. Look for the ones in the Southeast and Northeast that seem to pop up every year. A lot of these hangs are in the same place and at the same time each year and put together by the same person. You can always PM that person to find out more. That will also be your best bet to watch for events that might pop up over the summer.

Dutch also keeps an events page on his website (https://dutchwaregear.com/hammock-hang-events/) that has both a calendar and a map. It's only as current, though, as the info that gets to him.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Wow! Great info! Thanks so much!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Anyone can plan a group hang! Just pick a day and location and invite others through the trip planning thread. Look at the naming convention to see how to title it. It can be as simple as "everyone bring your own food" to group meals.
    If you announce it, chances are someone will join you.

Charlotte

• + New Posts