Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings

Do I need a shorter hammock

Background Story:
    I've found a few threads on the topic, but wanted to see with others think. I'm thinking of trying a 10-foot hammock but unsure of I should go down that "rabbit trail" When I discovered hammocks years ago I had an ENO and it was leaps and bounds above the tent camping experience. I had chest reconstruction surgery when I was young and still have the titanium plate so needless to say that the night was always my least favorite part of any hiking/camping/astronomy trip. After watching videos and researching hammock forums it seemed I wanted to try something better so I settled on a Dutch 11 foot. It was leaps and bounds over the ENO for sleeping. Since then, I've also picked up a 12-foot, which I love for napping in the yard.

Question: Am I missing out a 10-foot hammock and is it worth trying one? It seems like a 10-foot would save a little weight and more importantly, be easier to find trees. The trouble is that in the meantime, I've accumulated a lot of accessories for my 11-foot-fronkey bug net, UQ protector, Hammock Sock, tarp...all 11 foot. May end up being kind of a dangerous path. Or maybe I can just find a vendor that makes a 10 foot hammock with an integrated bug net. I've always wanted to try those.

O, by the way, I may be picking up a Tensa Hammock Stand in the future. So I'm not sure if a 10 foot version may be easier for that.

Dream Hammock, Warbonnet, and Superior Gear make 10' hammocks with integrated nets, to name three.
    Last edited by TominMN; 03-02-2024 at 08:59.

Hammock
    SLD 10' MTN 1.2
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    My first hammock was a 11 ft Dream Darien that is wonderful in every respect, but I asked myself the same issues you bring up. My current hammock is a 10 foot Tree Runner from Simply Light Designs.

This is my assessment:
    • I am 5'9" and to date, the 11 ft Darien remains the most comfortable hammock I have ever slept in. The 10 ft length Tree Runner is more than comfortable however, and with adequate width, all is well. Think it was 65 inches. They are both great hammocks.
    • Feel like the 10 ft hammock will fit between trees of smaller distances should the need arise. In reality, that doesn't happen often for me.
    • The HG Std DCF 11" w/Doors used in the 11 ft hammock provides more setup wiggle room for a 10 ft length. Did not purchase of any other gear to accommodate the new length.
    • There is a perception of more complete tarp coverage from the HG 11' tarp, but in reality it probably stopped mattering when the door system was set up.
    • The least important issue for me was the weight savings as it isn't very much. I am a gram weenie and can't believe this is being written .

Best of luck,

Recalc

Hammock
    11 foot
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    Thanks for that! I was wondering if setting up the 11-foot tarp over a 10 foot hammock would mean that the hammock hangs lower to the ground. It is very windy in the Appalachians where I often go and wind is can be very difficult to deal with. I usually use an UQ protector and my Wilderness Logic Old Man Winter has doors anyway. But what drives me crazy is that the wind can still blow underneath the tarp, so I have been thinking of adding a Dutch wide winter tarp I try to balance out being comfortable and not having to carry a ton of junk into the woods. Currently, my weight is usually around 7-8 lbs for my pack, quilts/pad, and shelter depending on what exactly I'm carrying. The last trip was to Yosemite and hammocks were kind of a no-go because we camped in some car sights on the trip and had reserved one sight for 3 people to set up.

Hammock
    AHE Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidg Owyhee
    Suspension
    DIY
    If you are not dead set on integrated bug net, take a look at Majestic Hammock. https://www.majestichammock.com/

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ebrianschmidt View Post
    Question: Am I missing out a 10-foot hammock and is it worth trying one? It seems like a 10-foot would save a little weight and more importantly, be easier to find trees. The trouble is that in the meantime, I've accumulated a lot of accessories for my 11-foot-fronkey bug net, UQ protector, Hammock Sock, tarp...all 11 foot. May end up being kind of a dangerous path. Or maybe I can just find a vendor that makes a 10 foot hammock with an integrated bug net. I've always wanted to try those.
    If you want just to try a 10' hammock to see if it will be comfortable for you, there's no need to buy one. You can take your 11' netless hammock and and whip one or both ends to make it shorter. There are many threads and videos that will guide you through whipping the ends of a GE hammock. It's not difficult. And it's not permanent so you can remove the whipping if you decide you want to stick with an 11' hammock.

And while you are testing things out, virtually everything you accumulated for your 11' hammock should still work with a 10' hammock. You shouldn't need to replace anything unless (or until) you really want to.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    11 foot
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    Interesting. I think I may try that. Thank you for the info. It was a rainy weekend here in Atlanta. So I set up my hammocks in the basement and truth is I had forgotten how luxurious the 12 was compared to the 11.

Nice work @PopcornFool. Great idea.
    One could also modify this out in the woods if tree spacing was not great for the hammock you brought.

ebrian,
    its fun to try out other things but it sounds like your pretty dialed in with what you already have. If it was me I'd call it good.

Bob

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I understand your seeking a little lighter weight and shorter tree distance. But remember, your tree distance is usually determined by your tarp length. An 11 ft. tarp will usually need a 12 ft tree distance regardless of hammock length.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Wide Rectangle
    Insulation
    Jacks r Better zip
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by ebrianschmidt View Post
    Thanks for that! I was wondering if setting up the 11-foot tarp over a 10 foot hammock would mean that the hammock hangs lower to the ground. It is very windy in the Appalachians where I often go and wind is can be very difficult to deal with. I usually use an UQ protector and my Wilderness Logic Old Man Winter has doors anyway. But what drives me crazy is that the wind can still blow underneath the tarp, so I have been thinking of adding a Dutch wide winter tarp I try to balance out being comfortable and not having to carry a ton of junk into the woods. Currently, my weight is usually around 7-8 lbs for my pack, quilts/pad, and shelter depending on what exactly I'm carrying. The last trip was to Yosemite and hammocks were kind of a no-go because we camped in some car sights on the trip and had reserved one sight for 3 people to set up.
    What tarp are you using? While most just talk about tarp length, width also can matter for blocking wind. I've seen tarps from 7' wide to 11'6" wide and everywhere between. The wider the more wind is blocked, but also gives you a much larger porch.

7" I've only seen on some UL tarps, most are 9 to 10', Dutchware makes the 11'6" ones. Maybe you should look at those.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast