Chameleon, SLD Voyageur
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG, Trailwinder
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles

Tarp for Superior Gear Hammock

I just got an 11 foot Superior Gear insulated hammock and have been playing around with the ridgeline length. I have found that 117 inches is the most comfortable which is longer than my other hammocks. My tarps are all 11 feet long so that only leaves 6 inches or so extra coverage at each end. Do you think I will need to get a 12 foot tarp for sufficient coverage in storms?

That 117" only takes away 3.5" of coverage from each end as compared to the somewhat more typical 110" ridgeline. I suppose it could matter under certain conditions. But you show that you have a Superfly. Don't you think the doors would be adequate?

Also, doesn't that hammock have an integrated bugnet? I'd be concerned about lengthening the ridgeline that much...

A 12' tarp can be roomier but may need to be pitched higher and/or require more distance between trees.
    Last edited by TominMN; 02-29-2024 at 20:40.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Unionmanbirch, in a perfect mathematical model, there could be seven and half inches on each end of hammock, if you have a 117 inch hammock ridgeline.
    The world is not perfect, I’ve never had both sides of hammock tarp overhang be equal.

I have a 12 foot hammock among others (11.5 too)
    And I got a tarp with 12 foot ridgeline.

Generally an 11 foot hammock, fits an 11 foot tarp.
    And a 12 foot hammock fits a 12 foot tarp.
    With both having about a foot overhang tarp coverage on each end.

Your 117 inch hammock ridgeline could fit an 11 foot tarp in a pinch. There could be times when one end or other of hammock could be very close to zero tarp overhang.

I’d get the 12 foot tarp.
    But my oversized hammock, over sized tarp, full length quilts inside a large ULA Catalyst pack is reason my pack weight is nearing my carrying capacity…hahaha

Good luck

Hammock
    Chameleon, SLD Voyageur
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG, Trailwinder
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I use the Superfly more in the winter. I have a Minifly I carry more often in the summer to save weight and a hex too. I'm sure the Superfly would be fine, but wasn't sure about the others. I have the 45 degree Superior Gear so it is probably going to see 3 season use.

Hammock
    Chameleon, SLD Voyageur
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG, Trailwinder
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Thanks Phantom. I rarely get the tarp perfectly centered either. I saw the Hammock Gear Leap Year sale yesterday and sprang for a 12 foot hex tarp at an excellent price. I think I was just looking for justification to buy a new toy.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Wide Rectangle
    Insulation
    Jacks r Better zip
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by unionmanbirch View Post
    Thanks Phantom. I rarely get the tarp perfectly centered either. I saw the Hammock Gear Leap Year sale yesterday and sprang for a 12 foot hex tarp at an excellent price. I think I was just looking for justification to buy a new toy.
    treat-yo-self.jpg

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    I'm convinced that SG hammocks are longer than advertised. At least, measuring both of my 11' SG hammocks and doing side by side comparisons with my HG and WB hammocks of the same advertised lengths leads me to believe that my SG hammocks are both actually 12' hammocks. The 2 SG hammocks are identical lengths to each other so I view it as free comfort, especially since I most often carry a 12' tarp anyways and will note that that's the length of tarp SG sells. I suppose it's the engineer in me who cares, but it drove me crazy why when I set the ridgeline to 110" that the suspension would need to be set so much steeper than the typical 30* in order to get the right tension in the ridgeline and height above the ground. When I really got my hammocks out and compared all 4 against each other was when it "clicked."
    Last edited by Hang Williams; 03-03-2024 at 08:54.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have come to really like my Superior Gear tarp. Great coverage.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Chameleon, SLD Voyageur
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG, Trailwinder
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I have come to really like my Superior Gear tarp. Great coverage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    I'm convinced that SG hammocks are longer than advertised. At least, measuring both of my 11' SG hammocks and doing side by side comparisons with my HG and WB hammocks of the same advertised lengths leads me to believe that my SG hammocks are both actually 12' hammocks. The 2 SG hammocks are identical lengths to each other so I view it as free comfort, especially since I most often carry a 12' tarp anyways and will note that that's the length of tarp SG sells.
    That's interesting. Checked out the Superior Gear site and as HW says they offer 12 foot or 14 foot tarps. Not an 11 footer to be found. They would seem to know their products best. I know several other posters have mentioned setting the ridgeline longer than the standard 83%. Not sure if the hammock is longer or if something in the design leads to a longer ridgeline length making it feel longer than 11 foot.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by unionmanbirch View Post
    That's interesting. Checked out the Superior Gear site and as HW says they offer 12 foot or 14 foot tarps. Not an 11 footer to be found. They would seem to know their products best. I know several other posters have mentioned setting the ridgeline longer than the standard 83%. Not sure if the hammock is longer or if something in the design leads to a longer ridgeline length making it feel longer than 11 foot.
    My SG Tarp has a 12' ridgeline. Not sure what I said on the video.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast