Southern Washington, New to hammock camping

Hi all,
    Back during the isolation of 2020-, I started watching a lot of camping videos and got the bug to try hammock camping. I still haven't camped properly for over 20 years. I picked up a cheap wide hammock (SunYear with bug net) and tarp (Kalinco 10 x 15ft) off Amazon just to get a feel for setting it up. I had some unfortunate issues with putting it up in the garage, eye hooks that bent, beams that split, and finally found some anchors that work so I could do the first hang. I loved the feel! (I also figured out some of the physics of the hang and how I was putting too much stress on the anchors.) I made an amsteel UCR ridgeline last month, and have whoopie slings on each end of the hammock, seat belt style tree straps. I realize now that the 10ft hammock is too short for my 6ft 2in 220 pound size.

So I've been watching lots of videos on YT about quality hammock brands, sizes, and am narrowing down to a few choices. I'm also looking at stands, like the Tensa4 or making my own. I plan to car camp rather than backpacking, so weight isn't a big concern for now.

I've learned a lot of theory, put up the hammock in a day camp twice, trying out suspensions in the garage, and am hoping this year to get a nice kit and head out to the woods. I've got my national forest pass, and state forest passes for Washington and Oregon.
    Last edited by Fuego; 02-27-2024 at 23:49. Reason: word correction

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Washington and Oregon are beautiful places to get outside. You shouldn't have any trouble finding good spots. It sounds like you've done your research well. There is lots of knowledge and opinions here. Have fun with the journey.

Charlotte

Hammock
    MTHL 11' w/wo net
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Rect
    Insulation
    DIY Costco Quilt
    Suspension
    MTHL 2in dyneema
    Images
    Welcome to the hanger life, we're definitely in a good region for it!
    Last edited by Salt; 02-28-2024 at 11:26. Reason: typo

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xMagnolia View Post
    Washington and Oregon are beautiful places to get outside. You shouldn't have any trouble finding good spots.
    As true as this statement is, my hope is that you'll also recognize that the tree diameter in the PNW tends to be larger than most locations. Hence, if you ARE going to hang away from home, I'd consider buying 20' or longer straps.

Did you know that the forests of the PNW make up the largest biomass of stored carbon in the world?
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Quote Originally Posted by iceman857 View Post
    As true as this statement is, my hope is that you'll also recognize that the tree diameter in the PNW tends to be larger than most locations. Hence, if you ARE going to hang away from home, I'd consider buying 20' or longer straps. Did you know that the forests of the PNW make up the largest biomass of stored carbon in the world?
    Indeed, I got 26ft x 2in straps that remind me of seat belt material. My 2nd campground hang had one enormous tree and one torso thick tree. They worked!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    If you can go to a couple of your local group hammock outings, listed here on Hammock Forums, you will be able to see all kinds of different hammocks, tarps, quilts, suspensions in one place.

Hammock campers enjoy talking gear, drinking coffee and telling stories that might begin this way

“I was minding my own business…”

Even if you can’t get to or find a group hammock hang, you can message other hammock campers in your local area, and camp with them. A small group might have five hammock campers.
    Good thing is, you can ask their opinion on any hammock camping subject. With those five there, you can get 8 or 9 opinions.

Reference Shug hammock camping videos
    Shug has long form videos showing multi day camps in forests
    Shug also has brief instructional videos that are packed with accurate information and entertainment. A seven minute video might focus on hammock suspensions.
    Another five minute video will feature tarps and their set ups.
    There are Shug videos covering all you need to know about insulation—top and bottom quilts and also pads.

Our hammock vendors, many listed on Hammock Forums, make reliable gear suited for hammock camping.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    In your post about the tensa4, I mentioned the need for an anchor but now I understand you’ll be car camping so your car may have an anchor point - unless it’s one of these newer models where everything is plastic - no solid bumper or hooks. If you have a trailer hitch, that would work for your primary foot-end anchor. A filled 1 gallon water jug may work as the hard-end anchor.

With hammocks, one rite-of-passage is missing the mammock body and sitting in the underquilt. It happens - usually at least once. For tensa4 owners, i think they have something special called the mousetrap. That’s when you put your weight too far towards the foot side and (without a head-end anchor) … there are YouTube videos. Fun for the whole family.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts