First hang, 2 nights in the Uhwarries

Firstly I want to thank Phantom Grappler for meeting up and helping me with the inevitable initial hang debug. Hopefully I provided some amusement as a novice! TL;DR A huge success, the second night was my best sleep ever in the woods and I expect it’ll only get better.

We hiked a little down the Dutchman’s Creek Trail from Yates Place campground to the area just before Lick Mountain, and camped out Sunday and Monday nights before hiking out (Monday was a holiday at my work). I had a lot of new gear to test out from last fall’s Black Friday sales, including a Dutchware Gear half zipped hammock, a Dutch Falcon tarp, a couple of JRB quilts, and a new backpack. I’m trialing hammock gear because a nice guy with a WBBB let me try out his hammock at the north rim of the Grand Canyon two years ago, and those five minutes convinced me to give it a try. And I wanted to practice setting up and taking down the gear each day as well as hiking a little, so on Monday I packed up and hiked the north loop off the Dutchman’s Creek Trail and the Uhwarrie Trail with the full backpack. Temperatures a little below freezing each day help test out the quilts. Other than being cool at night, the skies were clear and the tarp didn’t do much work. Testing my ability to set up the tarp in rain will wait for warmer weather.

Many thanks to everyone here, I’ve learned a lot by lurking, so setting up the tarp and hammock were easy other than my hanging them too low (thanks PG for helping me there). The second night I slept 10.5 hours, the hammock and quilts did great after a little debugging of the UQ gaping in the first night.

The few pictures that I tried to upload are rotated upside down, so here’s one of my nighttime view of the moon that doesn’t matter!

IMG_4403.jpeg

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Nice! Here's one I got a few years ago in Uwharrie...slept in and woke up to a beautiful morning. I do like my trips to the NC forests.

2021-10-23_09-38-07_678.jpg

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Quote Originally Posted by Mfturner View Post
    Firstly I want to thank Phantom Grappler for meeting up and helping me with the inevitable initial hang debug. Hopefully I provided some amusement as a novice! TL;DR A huge success, the second night was my best sleep ever in the woods and I expect it’ll only get better.

We hiked a little down the Dutchman’s Creek Trail from Yates Place campground to the area just before Lick Mountain, and camped out Sunday and Monday nights before hiking out (Monday was a holiday at my work). I had a lot of new gear to test out from last fall’s Black Friday sales, including a Dutchware Gear half zipped hammock, a Dutch Falcon tarp, a couple of JRB quilts, and a new backpack. I’m trialing hammock gear because a nice guy with a WBBB let me try out his hammock at the north rim of the Grand Canyon two years ago, and those five minutes convinced me to give it a try. And I wanted to practice setting up and taking down the gear each day as well as hiking a little, so on Monday I packed up and hiked the north loop off the Dutchman’s Creek Trail and the Uhwarrie Trail with the full backpack. Temperatures a little below freezing each day help test out the quilts. Other than being cool at night, the skies were clear and the tarp didn’t do much work. Testing my ability to set up the tarp in rain will wait for warmer weather.

Many thanks to everyone here, I’ve learned a lot by lurking, so setting up the tarp and hammock were easy other than my hanging them too low (thanks PG for helping me there). The second night I slept 10.5 hours, the hammock and quilts did great after a little debugging of the UQ gaping in the first night.

The few pictures that I tried to upload are rotated upside down, so here’s one of my nighttime view of the moon that doesn’t matter!

IMG_4403.jpeg
    Thanks for pix FLTurtle. Mfturner it’s good to backpack with you. Thanks for building a campfire at Beech Camp. I hope to see you at Yates, and backpacking in Uwharries with our loose knit group of woodlands explorers, throughout the year

• + New Posts