Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Buckle webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-W View Post
    Re packing:

I don’t use separate bags for each item as you end up with a series of balls that don’t pack well. I just shove everything into one bag letting the soft items flow around the hard objects so all the space is filled. This is for bikepacking rather than kayaking.
    There’s a fair amount of knowledge that works for both sports. I learned a lot by reading hiking and bikepacking discussion boards including an introduction to the wonderful world of UL gear.

The ‘flow around’ benefit of squishy packing works really well with the kayak’s shape although we tend to favor a couple of small bags over one larger one.
    “If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.” - Mark Twain, 1894

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I use the same compression dry bags that Cougarmeat was talking about (one for each quilt) and I only compress them the amount needed to fit in the hatch w/ whatever else is going in there. I did compress a quilt or two until it was a hard ball but only to see how small it would go, I'd much rather have it soft and shapeable for packing.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    KayakerBee,
    Like LowTech, I don't scrunch my down as small as possible - no need. Plus, with excessive aggression, there's a potential to tear an internal baffle. For that reason, I wouldn't put it loose in my pack with other gear pushing against it. And I'd want it to have extra "wet" protection. A compromise for a backpack would be a very large, flexible, waterproof bag/s - just for the quilts.

I paddle a Mariner - that design (from the 80's) doesn't have hatches - you have 17, count'em, 17 feet of longitudinal storage. When a dry bag gets stuck (or forgotten) in the bow, it's up there. The Mariner's have a 4-inch inspection port about halfway up from the cockpit to the bow, but it's more to push bags forward rather than reaching for something "up there". Also, there's this phenomenon - you can reach in past your elbow - it goes in easily. Amazing but true, it doesn't come out so easily. This is usually discovered while all your paddling partners have left the shoreline and are waiting, some yards out, for you to extract your elbow.

In the bag stuck in the bow scenario, I had to turn the kayak vertically and "gently" tap it up and down on the packed sand. These little indignities provide lifelong learning experiences.

Instead of small bags, My goal is three or four large bags: one for food, one for shelter, one for cooking and camp hardware, and one for clothes. I've never made it to four bags yet - it's a journey, not a destination.

Also, as a safety feature, in my current Max model, I have a bulkhead option behind my seat so the stearn has a watertight compartment.

Mariner XL
    AACleanBoat.jpg

Will it all fit - before the "four bags" philosophy
    AAWillItFit.jpg

Current Mariner Max
    MMSIMarinerMax.jpg

Normally, at rest, my paddles would be parallel to the water, ready to brace. But I was near the shore, waiting for the camera person, and had to be actively paddling to prevent running aground - or, in the case of Washington beaches, arock.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 02-07-2024 at 22:11.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've been hammock camping for 14 years, and only once did I have an issue with soggy down quilts. It rained all night and there was thick fog. In the morning, there was no sun to dry my quilts out. I hit the trail and around 2:00 pm, the sun came out. Everything was so wet - I took out my quilts and laid them in the sun. I also took off all my clothes and laid them in the sun too. The sun was only out for about an hour, but I got everything dry.

I did feel kinda stupid sitting there naked, in 35 *F weather, but that sun sure felt good!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    If the down insulation venders were to add options for Pertex shells, there would be no issues with down getting wet.

With sleeping bags, as throws (just unzip all the way and you have your own footbox). I have two identical DIY tablecloth hammocks and with two of these sleeping sleeping bags, there would be no need to worry about the down getting damp. The dampness stays inside the enclosed Mylar rectangle.

To regulate the heat, just adjust the top sleeping bag. I do not own any sleeping bags that are rated over 0-deg F. I have five sleeping bags.

If you sleep in one of those Red/Silver Mylar bags and wear some lightweight wool long-johns, you will be a very warm high humidity micro environment.

Last edited by joe_guilbeau; 02-08-2024 at 01:00.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12