Hemlock Mountain Redtail
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    Hangtight shiny
    Suspension
    Beetles

Hangtight DWR Coating

I recently bought one of Hang Tight under quilts with Mylar Dot fabric to temporarily get me on the trail for some spring backpacking trips in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. This quilt will be passed on to my son who is a more fair weather camper as I’ll soon be making my own quilt from Argon 90 and Argon 67 with 900 F down. I’m making an Underquilt protector from Argon 90 as well but I figured I would wash the quilt in Ninwax Down Wash and Ninwax Down Proof to make it a bit more water resistant. I had to wash my Patagonia Puffy anyway so let’s get at it.

I was surprised to find the quilt fought going down in the water, holding massive amounts of air and it took about 15 minutes of hand agitating for the outer orange fabric, to want to even start wetting out a bit. The Patagonia Jacket wetted out in about 2 minutes although it’s 12 years old but had been down washed last about 2 years ago.

i know Hangtight already seems to have a fairly good reputation but this seems to add to my confidence of how the product will work on the trail. Listening to Steve Hazel of Hang Tight on The Hammock Hangers Podcast Episode 40 it sounded like he went directly to the family in China that was making the Costco quilts and works directly with them now to get his supply of quilts. I love American made products; my hammock, tarp, and suspension came from three different cottage vendors but I also understand we are a global economy ( I work in the US for a South Korean company who’s benefits blow away most companies benefits, paid health insurance by the company anyone) and Hangtight so far has blown me away with thier quality.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    JBear - I once and a -40° bag and it was a riot to watch me try to stuff it in a stuff sack. It was like rassl'n with a boa constrictor.

One hint, that worked, was to turn the bag inside out before stuffing it, so the DWR was on the inside. That allowed the air to more easily escape as the bag was being compressed.

I have an older Feather Friends Ibex and in its storage bag, it's almost as tall as I am. Some day I'll get off my butt and put it in the For Sale thread. I just know I'll take a bath on the shipping. A snow pulk is so handy for hauling the bulky, but not heavy, winter gear.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts