WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Grizz bridge ariel 2.2 hex 70 question

I was wondering if anyone out there has made a Grizz Bridge ariel out of 2.2 hex 70 ? If so, how did it turn out, and most importantly what would the weight limit be for that design and that fabric? Thx for the help!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    That material has a 400 pound rating, as far as I know. Really nice to work with and has a pretty good hand feel. I used it for a similar bridge, but I used tubular polyester rails and I believe Griz used 7/64" amsteel rope... strength is the same for both, but construction is a bit different.

Having said that, the fabrics job is to transfer the load to the side suspension, so that is something you really need to think about. I like to make sure to carry the weight rating all the way back to the tree.

Brian

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    I was wondering if anyone out there has made a Grizz Bridge ariel out of 2.2 hex 70 ? If so, how did it turn out, and most importantly what would the weight limit be for that design and that fabric? Thx for the help!
    Hey Steve-
    300lbs is about right for Hex 70. (assuming all is built well)
    The Ariel isn't quite as balanced as my Happy Medium, but not quite as stressed as the Big Guy.
    Point being- you can "push" a little more in a well balanced design, and a bit less in a less balanced bridge. Overall- I still say my "2/3rds the gathered end rating" remains a good weight rating guideline.

If you still have the big guy- try laying in the foor end and you'll get a decent feel for what you're getting yourself into before you get too far along.
    You might want to look into FJRPilot's efforts with a 'bigger Ariel' as it likely would fit you a bit better.

Roughly- The Ariel is a longer bar to bar distance and slightly less curve than the Happy Medium.
    Both are "Amsteel in channel" vs rolled web, and his method is simpler than mine.
    The biggest tip I can give- is to splice up FOUR sets, rather than two. It's difficult without lots of practice to get two exactly matched sets of that complicated three piece eye splice. So make up four of them- then hang them up and stand on them to stretch and pair them up 'loaded'. Even if you stretch them and lay them on a table... they are deceptive since they will take some time to 'set' so it will seem like they aren't matched up in an unloaded vs loaded condition.

I really like Hex 70 actually. The very first Big Guy prototypes and it's predecessors were built with Hex 70. I even occasionally run a few through production.

Luxury in single 1.7- 250lbs
    Hex 70 single layer- 300lbs
    Big Guy- Double layer 1.7-350lbs

Ultimately- it didn't make much sense for me to stock Hex 70 for that single 300lbs use case... which really is for the occasional just over 250lbs user who would find the Hex 70 just right vs the double 1.7
    So that's the reason I don't use the fabric, but it's still right up there with the best options around for heavier bridges.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thanks for the info! So Bill, your saying a single layer of hex70 2.2 , when properly used with a good design, should have a weight limit of around 300 lbs? (I may give that a shot- I really like that fabric !)
    Last edited by stevebo; 02-02-2024 at 18:51.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

• + New Posts