Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I hang full time at home. FWIW I just used some screw in lag bolts with a hook on the end instead of a fully enclosed circle or eye. I think a some (a lot?) use the L-tracks to attach to the wall. These are some Dutchware has on their site:

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/ad...e-wall-anchor/

For my lag bolts, I think they are 5-6 inches long. I pre-drilled into the wall studs with like a 1/4" bit or something, then lubed the lag bolts with some soap and screwed them in. It took some work, but they have been solid for a few years now.

Hammock
    Superior Hammock / Dutch / Majestic
    Tarp
    Superior Shelter
    Insulation
    Superior Hammock
    Suspension
    SuperiorSuspension
    I have now converted to full time hanging as well. I spoke with the owner of Majestic Hammocks at hangcon and he suggested using pipe. I'll show you my setup here
    20240119_131503.jpg
    Basically a 1" pipe, 45 degree and then a flange, anchored with 4" lag bolts. The flange really pushes evenly across the drywall and seems to help with the load. I think I spent $40 at Menards for all of this.

I also bought a dedicated hammock to hang in at home - https://www.majestichammock.com/ while I was at Hangcon. The owner made the hammock for me there and I'm now a few weeks in as a full time hanger. I wish I wouldn't have waited so long to do this.

Have fun!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    I hang full time at home. FWIW I just used some screw in lag bolts with a hook on the end instead of a fully enclosed circle or eye. I think a some (a lot?) use the L-tracks to attach to the wall. These are some Dutchware has on their site:

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/ad...e-wall-anchor/

For my lag bolts, I think they are 5-6 inches long. I pre-drilled into the wall studs with like a 1/4" bit or something, then lubed the lag bolts with some soap and screwed them in. It took some work, but they have been solid for a few years now.
    Before I ordered the ENO wall kit, I had bought some lag bolts for this job, but I got nervous since Home Depot's sticker said "do not hang human weight" or something. I'm sure that's just for liability purposes, but ENO can't really make the same claim.

I'm strongly considering the L-tracks now that I know about them. Also, that would give more points of attachment to the 2x4, spreading the load out across more of the stud instead of all in one spot. It's a concern for me at 240 than it would be if I were, say 180.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdh96 View Post
    I have now converted to full time hanging as well. I spoke with the owner of Majestic Hammocks at hangcon and he suggested using pipe. I'll show you my setup here
    20240119_131503.jpg
    Basically a 1" pipe, 45 degree and then a flange, anchored with 4" lag bolts. The flange really pushes evenly across the drywall and seems to help with the load. I think I spent $40 at Menards for all of this.
    That's an interesting set-up. You get some degree of flexibility in the hang-height just by adjusting your straps. How do they perform, holding onto the pipe? You've been hanging this way for a few weeks, so I imagine you don't have to fiddle with them too much, but I'm picturing them sliding ever-so-slightly every time I would get in or out

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Probably not. I've been hanging on a pole stand outside for almost a year and I hardly ever adjust my straps, and when I do it's easy to just slide them up a bit. I even leave my hammock and tarp up during windy conditions (skinned), which is every few days for at least a couple days, and the straps don't really move enough for me to look at on a regular basis.IMG_20230129_112012650.jpg

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    Superior Hammock / Dutch / Majestic
    Tarp
    Superior Shelter
    Insulation
    Superior Hammock
    Suspension
    SuperiorSuspension
    No movement whatsoever. His tree straps really bite into the pipe.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I saw a diagram in an earlier post and the short of it is, that the wall studs were put in/designed to handle and downward/compression force; not a pull/shear force. Without seeing how well the stud is anchored behind the sheetrock I would not try to support a hammock from it, though others have done so successfully.

My risk areas used to be mountain summits and now crossing certain ocean channels. But using a piece of lumber, of unknown stability, that has the potential of ripping through the sheetrock wall, scares me to dickens.

It might work fine for you; not my cup of tea. That said, a "T" stand with a top cross member, works well and takes up little additional room.

Here is my beautiful "T" (see the base) pipe stand. Unfortunately, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the other beholder didn't think it was "attractive", even as an outdoor structure. It now lies in sections beside the house. Note the top extension in the second photo. That can be an attachment point for the tarp and/or I can hook a loop of my daisy chain around it, then come down the pipe to any height I want and half-hitch/anchor the suspension there. Worked great.

Maybe you can put something like this in your room. It might help if you let "the other party" choose what color to paint it. It would be possible to create a base with two vertical sections, a desirable distance apart, and top cross beams. There are other ideas in "stand" treads that include a small, but helpful (removable for vacuuming) floorpiece and/or diagonal braces at the corners. I would get gingerly into mine and the initial horizontal sway, understanding the forces being applied to the joints, could be disconcerting. I never tried to use it to duplicate any "website advice" ... which might be why it was so easily dismissed as "structure non grata".

Pipe2.jpg

Pipe4.jpg
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 02-01-2024 at 16:49.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Chameleon / HH with 2qzq mod 4
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly/ZqDoors
    Insulation
    LL Reaper / GP
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    You will want to use a cotton for your indoor sleep for easy wash. Sleeping on Hexon every night can get yucky from skin oils. Try a spreader bar option for good flat lay
    Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. - Plato

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I saw a diagram in an earlier post and the short of it is, that the wall studs were put in/designed to handle and downward/compression force; not a pull/shear force. Without seeing how well the stud is anchored behind the sheetrock I would not try to support a hammock from it, though others have done so successfully.
    Yeah, I've seen this sentiment enough throughout my research to convince me to back off my initial plan to just hang from the studs. I'm now creating a new plan based on more structurally sound suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Here is my beautiful "T" (see the base) pipe stand. Unfortunately, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the other beholder didn't think it was "attractive", even as an outdoor structure. It now lies in sections beside the house. Note the top extension in the second photo. That can be an attachment point for the tarp and/or I can hook a loop of my daisy chain around it, then come down the pipe to any height I want and half-hitch/anchor the suspension there. Worked great.
    That's a nice stand. I am a fan of pipe stands, usually, but there's no way the wife will approve of a double-pipe stand setup in our bedroom. Not entirely sure I would, either, to be honest.

I've considered a wood-based build. T-supports at the base on either side, posts as tall as the room, with ridge beam running the length of the room, so it would look 'nice' and be (more or less) out of the way, but that's a lot of lumber, and one side would semi-block access to the closet, which isn't ideal.

At this point I'm thinking I'll run horizontal boards at floor and ceiling level. Secured at sole-plate and top-plates and/or each stud. Run a pair of vertical boards (one for me and one for the lady), between them, secured to the floor and ceiling boards (and probably the wall studs as well), and then attach the hammocks to L-Tracks attached these boards at the head end. At the foot end I may rely on the window and door braces. Will do some testing in the unfinished basement before making any final decisions.

This is loosely based (more 'inspired' than based) on this post referenced earlier by mattnin

The wife has already approved adding lumber with the stipulation that it's sanded and stained, which is fair.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabbastion View Post
    You will want to use a cotton for your indoor sleep for easy wash. Sleeping on Hexon every night can get yucky from skin oils. Try a spreader bar option for good flat lay
    Thanks, Stabbastion.

Yeah, I've just ordered a pair of La Siesta Catalina hammocks. I couldn't find a negative review for this hammock. And I'm pretty sure I saw it recommended by Latherdome more than once here and on Reddit. And I've learned to trust him when it comes to hanging

I'll need to order a second pair of cheaper cotton hammocks, or just periodically throw up our camping hammocks when the Catalinas are down for washing/drying.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast