Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    True, and I could add a tether point to the design above pretty easily.

Another thing that occurs to me is that the design above will require some supports that may be challenging to remove from the internal groove, if printed on an extruder (the most common type for home-gamers). I am more accustomed to designing for a resin printer, which doesn't always require as much support for those type of features. Perhaps a rethink is in order.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    I suspect (but do not know) that one reason Nich might have moved on is that eventually the bridge buttons will 'crush out'.
    I did damage one early on, but that was entirely my fault as I had a bit of cross loading/bad setup.

I'm coming up on a year or so of testing them on my Just a Bridge. Admittedly that is with Dynaglide, not 7/64th amsteel- but long story short they eventually are cutting through the buttons.

I know exactly nothing about 3d printing, resins, etc. But using my small brain I figure that Amsteel/dynaglide is stronger than plastic resin and eventually one wins under load.

Now to be fair... I'd consider 300-400 nights of use to be a pretty good run.

And all that said- the banyon is a slightly different animal since the hardware is taking the load so most of my gibberish above doesn't actually apply.

An ideal solution would be something that attaches to the hardware itself, rather than the pole tip.
    One example I've seen was a gallon milk jug bottle cap- two pinholes and some thin shock cord allows you to attach it to the notches in the hardware and gives you enough 'bumper' to protect the tarp.

Wine corks, water filter drinking tube, and all the usual suspects apply. I suppose Arrowheads bicycle tube would work well enough too?

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    One further tip on tips:

A Lansky puck (or other stone if yer patient) works well enough to knock the worst of the sharp edge off a milled aluminum edge. The right dremel bit (inverse dome) can work too.
    For Ruta Locura's poles I tend to do a bit of that to 'dome' the tip so it's not so snaggy or prone to getting a bite into your tarp. That's more my experience of issues rather than truly punching a hole.

I'd hate to ruin the Hardware sorting out the right glue, but I'd think you could glue a 3d printed something to the Banyon's existing hardware too... that way you could still preserve the notches for quilt attachment but build up enough 'bumper' to enclose the pole tip. The 3d printer would let you round off the build out to further soften the shape while preserving function.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    One further tip on tips:

A Lansky puck (or other stone if yer patient) works well enough to knock the worst of the sharp edge off a milled aluminum edge. The right dremel bit (inverse dome) can work too.
    For Ruta Locura's poles I tend to do a bit of that to 'dome' the tip so it's not so snaggy or prone to getting a bite into your tarp. That's more my experience of issues rather than truly punching a hole.

I'd hate to ruin the Hardware sorting out the right glue, but I'd think you could glue a 3d printed something to the Banyon's existing hardware too... that way you could still preserve the notches for quilt attachment but build up enough 'bumper' to enclose the pole tip. The 3d printer would let you round off the build out to further soften the shape while preserving function.
    That is a good tip on the tips. The 3D model I made represents Dutch's pole tip pretty accurately. They don't have a full round on the end; there is a corner to it, as shown in the cross-section.

As for attaching the bumper/button to the hardware, it seems tricky, short of using some kind of glue as you said. It would be a little easier on Brandon's old design, for a few reasons. There was more real estate to work with, the shape was simpler, and it didn't do anything other than attach the bridge suspension to the bridge corner and have a hole for the pole tip. Dutch's is a smaller, much more irregular shape, and also has a notch for UQ suspension attachment - more going on. My model of the hardware is just an approximation I made with a caliper. Didn't scan it and don't have access to the original .dxf of course. But I didn't yet see any clever way of attaching a bumper to it without interfering with any of its attachment points, and there's not a lot of other real estate left on it to create another connection point for the bumper itself.

Last edited by cmc4free; 02-02-2024 at 09:55.

Images
    Wine corks, water filter drinking tube, and all the usual suspects apply. I suppose Arrowheads bicycle tube would work well enough too?
    Yep, fancier isn't always better, eh?

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Yep, fancier isn't always better, eh?
    I suppose if'n you got a bunyon on yer banyon.... you can stick this on.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Co...0&from=/search

Hammock
    WBRR & Banyan
    Tarp
    Bonded Xenon Wide
    Insulation
    UGQ & Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    One further tip on tips:

I do have to say that out of all the poles I have for bridge hammocks, the tips that were on Dutch's was the most uniform and clean. I prefer them over warbonnet's.

Hammock
    WBRR & Banyan
    Tarp
    Bonded Xenon Wide
    Insulation
    UGQ & Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Below are pictures shared by Camping Nut of the Dutchware tarp protectors sold at Hangcon.

https://imgur.com/8Cs60js

Hammock
    Banyan Bridge or Haven
    Tarp
    Dutchware Xenon
    Insulation
    LocoLibre, UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Mescript View Post
    Below are pictures shared by Camping Nut of the Dutchware tarp protectors sold at Hangcon.

https://imgur.com/8Cs60js
    Nice

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    JRB 12x10
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 7/8
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    img_7730.jpegimg_7729.jpeg
    Picked these up from Dutch at Hangcon

Before getting these... I used these https://www.amazon.com/Honbay-5pcs-R...ps%2C86&sr=8-1
    Just cut them down to whatever length you want....
    Last edited by Camping Nut; 02-05-2024 at 09:30.
    “I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." Henry David Thoreau

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast