Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Wise Owl (for now)
    Insulation
    HangtightNaturhike
    Suspension
    Straps and DIY UCR

Question Has anyone noticed Amsteel Blue from different vendors feeling different? (SRE Outdoors?)

Hi y'all. I was under the impression that all Amsteel Blue, regardless of seller, should be identical product. I mean specifically rope sold as "Amsteel Blue" (made by Samson). But I now have a fabulous new hammock from Simply Light Designs that uses 7/64" Amsteel Blue for the continual loops in the gathered ends and the ridgeline, and it's WAY SOFTER than the 7/64" Amsteel Blue I bought from SRE Outdoors (sregear.com).

I know Jared bought his rope from Dutch at Dutchware (he confirmed this earlier today in email), and it's so silky, soft, and supple. This rope bends very easily. I can compress it to open the braid so easily. I'm tempted to call this rope graceful.

By way of comparison, the Amsteel Blue (also 7/64") I bought from SRE feels a bit more rigid. It feels a touch more plasticy. I need to use more pressure to compress it and open the braid. It's amazingly strong and I never doubted it was Amsteel Blue, but now I'm wondering if I received " regular" Amsteel, or maybe a different UHMWPE rope that uses a different coating.

Does anyone have any insight here? Next time I buy I'm going to buy from Dutch. SRE raised their price and I'm totally amazed by the rope in my new hammock. But since I'm totally brand new to all of this I'm really curious if I'm just crazy or what??!
    New to hanging!

Hammock
    Banyan Bridge or Haven
    Tarp
    Dutchware Xenon
    Insulation
    LocoLibre, UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    I've bought whoopie slings from 2 different vendors. One slides oh so smooth and the other can be a struggle loosening. I think I know what you are talking about.

Hammock
    The one I’m in
    Tarp
    One that works
    Insulation
    HG UQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing & Becket H
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeCD View Post
    Hi y'all. I was under the impression that all Amsteel Blue, regardless of seller, should be identical product. I mean specifically rope sold as "Amsteel Blue" (made by Samson). But I now have a fabulous new hammock from Simply Light Designs that uses 7/64" Amsteel Blue for the continual loops in the gathered ends and the ridgeline, and it's WAY SOFTER than the 7/64" Amsteel Blue I bought from SRE Outdoors (sregear.com).

I know Jared bought his rope from Dutch at Dutchware (he confirmed this earlier today in email), and it's so silky, soft, and supple. This rope bends very easily. I can compress it to open the braid so easily. I'm tempted to call this rope graceful.

By way of comparison, the Amsteel Blue (also 7/64") I bought from SRE feels a bit more rigid. It feels a touch more plasticy. I need to use more pressure to compress it and open the braid. It's amazingly strong and I never doubted it was Amsteel Blue, but now I'm wondering if I received " regular" Amsteel, or maybe a different UHMWPE rope that uses a different coating.

Does anyone have any insight here? Next time I buy I'm going to buy from Dutch. SRE raised their price and I'm totally amazed by the rope in my new hammock. But since I'm totally brand new to all of this I'm really curious if I'm just crazy or what??!
    I’ve noticed a difference in texture, softness and glide in different colors of Amsteel from the same distributor. I’ve found grey to consistently be the softest and silkiest in every order I’ve placed. I think much of the variations has to do with the dye/color coating used. The color seems to sit on top of the rope. I also ordered Spectra from a cottage company thinking it was the same thing as Amsteel. It was very similar but way to loose a weave in my humble opinion. The ingredients are the same but the quality is different. I will never order Spectra again. I ended up using it to practice my splicing before wasting the good stuff.
    “A man who carries a cat by the tail learns a lesson he can learn in no other way.” ~ Mark Twain

Hammock
    Tarp
    Wise Owl (for now)
    Insulation
    HangtightNaturhike
    Suspension
    Straps and DIY UCR
    Update l: Y'all I think I'm just losing my mind. I compared the ropes again and they're much less different than I previously believed. I think the only difference is probably because I've used my ropes to suspend my hammock and thus tightened the braid. Please ignore this crazy fever-dream of a thread.
    New to hanging!

Quote Originally Posted by Knot Grounded View Post
    I’ve noticed a difference in texture, softness and glide in different colors of Amsteel from the same distributor. I’ve found grey to consistently be the softest and silkiest in every order I’ve placed. I think much of the variations has to do with the dye/color coating used. The color seems to sit on top of the rope. I also ordered Spectra from a cottage company thinking it was the same thing as Amsteel. It was very similar but way to loose a weave in my humble opinion. The ingredients are the same but the quality is different. I will never order Spectra again. I ended up using it to practice my splicing before wasting the good stuff.
    Spectra and Dyneema are both UHMWPE fibers from different manufacturers. I THINK the biggest difference is how each cordage maker makes use of the fibers in terms of both weave and coatings, just as you noted re different lots of Amsteel. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that Spectra, per se, is inferior.

Hammock
    The one I’m in
    Tarp
    One that works
    Insulation
    HG UQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing & Becket H
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Spectra and Dyneema are both UHMWPE fibers from different manufacturers. I THINK the biggest difference is how each cordage maker makes use of the fibers in terms of both weave and coatings, just as you noted re different lots of Amsteel. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that Spectra, per se, is inferior.
    You are correct. I personally just don’t like working with Spectra that much because it’s more likely to snag on my surroundings and I feel like I have to sew over the top of all my work so it stays put. I’m sure there are many people who actually prefer Spectra to Amsteel. I just don’t.
    FWIW I also don’t like American cheese or Pop Tarts. I know those are fighting words and that some of you are going to feel like I just insulted your sister. I mean no harm by it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “A man who carries a cat by the tail learns a lesson he can learn in no other way.” ~ Mark Twain

Hammock
    Tarp
    Wise Owl (for now)
    Insulation
    HangtightNaturhike
    Suspension
    Straps and DIY UCR
    That just means more pop-tarts for me!
    New to hanging!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCD View Post
    That just means more pop-tarts for me!