WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Silpoly seam sealing

I bought some cloth a few years ago to make a rain poncho. Not sure if its sil poly or silnylon. Is there a way to tell by looking at it? Is there a seamsealer that works for both? What do you recommend to seam seal sil poly? Any suggestions Or advice? Thx!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Images
    Not sure if you can easily tell the difference between silpoly and silnylon - at least not as easily as you could tell the difference between a fabric that is silicone impregnated and one that has a PU / PEU coating on one side.

The tarps I have that are silpoly generally seem a bit thinner than the ones I have that are nylon, but I'm not sure that'd be a reliable indicator as that's more a function of the denier than the base polymer itself.

However, if you have some fabric and want to make something out of it, the same products can be used for seam sealing polyester or nylon; you just need to determine whether it is silicone impregnated or PU / PEU coated. You can seam seal either of the silicone impregnated materials using 100% silicone (most would dilute it with some mineral spirits), or another popular product is McNett Seam Grip + SIL. If what you have is silicone impregnated and you decide to go with Seam Grip, make sure you use the SIL version, and not the WP version. The WP version is the one that will adhere to non-silicone impregnated fabrics, like the ones with PU coatings.

Here's an article that provides some info about the different waterproof coatings:
    https://www.slingfin.com/blogs/the-b...pe-vs-silicone
    Last edited by cmc4free; 01-26-2024 at 10:29.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thanks for the help!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Images
    I have had good luck with Seam Seal + WP, which is a glue sealer with waterproofing.

The MSR Twin Brothers was modified with a second door with full length zipper, and I used the product to seal the zipper stitching, along with the reinforced internal pole supports.

Worked well and the applicator makes it easy.

8-oz.
    https://www.amazon.com/Gear-Aid-Wate...1zcF9tdGY&th=1

• + New Posts