Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    It seems as if most hiker/hiking YouTubers (at least the most popular ones) are firmly pro-tent or firmly pro-hammock. Very few acknowledge that there's no objectively "best" option and it's ultimately up to the individual who's spending their own money. Case in point: https://youtu.be/wMXIIjeQ8yg?si=01UAZTiK_74XbD0A. Basically (to save you the time watching it), this guy is lamenting that "nobody told me that hammock camping isn't for me".

Also, on the topic of Luke and his channel...when did every camping trip become an "adventure"? You're going out in the woods and sleeping under a tarp or in a tent...often times less than 100 yards from a perfectly functional vehicle. That's just camping, dude. It's not like you were dropped into the middle of a wilderness and need to find your way out.

Hammock
    Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    Let's not bust on anybody! Just get outside and have fun!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I added my same onion list in the comments below his video.
    So far, he hasn't nuked it ;~)

I have absolutely nothing against tents but when someone with such a large following, spreads lies about something I appreciate so much, I might just speak up.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by peeeeetey View Post
    Let's not bust on anybody! Just get outside and have fun!
    Well said. ODR has it's slant, but I don't think it's impressive to most HF people. Now this guy really gets out there and does it right. Norwegian Xplorer. And of course Shug!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB4mm1XXxDY
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Images
    All about Return on Investment and You Tube Algorithms

Develop a base and cater away.

I have watched the review. I agree with some things and I disagree with some things. I've also watched a newer episode in which he camps in a hammock in Wintery conditions. I would like to take this moment in time to reflect on that ole saying that used to be common in the woods....'HYOH: Hike Your Own Hike (for the less-seasoned crowd).

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_guilbeau View Post
    All about Return on Investment and You Tube Algorithms

Develop a base and cater away.
    To a lot of folks, it's all about Return on Investment and You Tube Algorithms.
    I appreciate facts above dollars and sometimes people need to be held accountable.

If I were going to cater away, I hope I would do it with integrity.

I know some of you don't think I should speak out against someone I disagree with.
    I disagree with that.
    I think people not speaking up sometimes encourages bad behavior. I see plenty that I disagree with in the world today, but I pick my battles.
    This guy comes across as a high authority on the subject. And he's just plain wrong on some of it.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    This must be the logic they use to say hammocks are so much heavier than tents. The topquilts and underquilts used in a hammock are a wash with the sleeping bags or topquilts and sleeping pads used in a tent. So, the only things that should be compared are the hammock/suspension and tarp/ridgeline/tieouts/stakes vs the tent/footprint/stakes. I'm not sure about the cutting edge ultralight tents but I just checked the Zpacks Duplex and it's 20 ounces just for the tent which is a couple grams more than a Dutch 1.2 netless, dyneema hex tarp, and a twelve foot pair of relatively heavy spider straps. I'm sure you could shave a few ounces off the tent side, but I know it would be easy to do on the hammock side as well. This notion of tents being lighter just doesn't hold water unless someone can show me where my logic is flawed.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I don't remember all the details but I'm thinking some of the new ultralight tents using a trekking pole might be hard to match with a hammock setup, but it's not a huge difference.
    And a lot of people just can't get a good night's rest on the ground, even with a nice, thick insulated air mat.
    For those people, it's worth a small weight penalty.

Weight wise there's not much in it.

We've a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 tent. With footprint it comes to 1500g but we split it between my wife and myself so 750g.

Homemade hammock and Badlander Cowboy tarp inc. suspension come to 870g. My hammock is probably made out of particularly heavy material and I'm sure I could knock 100g off it.

Ultra light bike racing setup: DCF tarp, pole, stakes and Borah Gear bivy come to 400g

Insulation is pretty much a wash: for summer my quilt/top quilt is the same for all three. -4C rated UQ vs inflatable mat is 100g in favour of the mat. If I had the lighter UQ then it would be 150g in favour of the UQ.

So I am probably looking at between 100g & 200g difference between hammocking and tenting. Of course I'm trading weight for increased comfort - I'm certainly less stiff in the morning after a night in the hammock.

As for the other points. Depends on whether you look for solutions - if your only tool is a hammer then everything looks like a nail.
    Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry - Viking proverb

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast