Hammock
    Amok Draumr 5
    Tarp
    Free Soldier
    Insulation
    fjol winterlight

Amok Draumr is nice, but cold sometimes. Anyone else have this problem?

Hello all
    I'm having a strange issue with my Amok Draumr 5.0+fjol winter light pad, I. AM. FREEZING.

The last 2 time I've used it this winter (both in TN & LA) I've paired the above mentioned with a 0° mummy bag (by coleman), not to mention layered myself with fresh thermal clothing to sleep in. Both times I was met with bone chilling cold (especially in the foot area) & could not even finish the entire night in my hammock!

The temperature(s) were in the 20°F bracket so it was very cold (for here), but still, both bag & pad were rated for this I thought.
    It must also be said, that down in these particular regions of the southern states, humidity is very high & produces a "wet" type of cold that can sometimes penetrate clothing, gear, etc.

It's also worth noting that I have slept very comfortably in high 30°+ weather using all of the above, including using my mummy bag as a top quilt.
    In those situations the fjol pad underneath me was almost enough by itself, it generated so much comfortable warmth.

I'm wondering if any of anyone out there has had problems with a similar setup & if you did anything differently?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I have the fjol pad- Im good down to about the low 40s but Im a very cold sleeper. A down hat and down booties seem to help alot! Just curious, where in southwest la do you live? I lived in lafayette for 3 years back in 1980's! (I miss that wonderful cajun food!)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Maybe slip a CCF foam pad on or under the pad. Slip a parka over the footbox of your TQ or sleeping bag. That should help some. Try to keep the wind off of the foot end if you can.
    Those should help a bit.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Exped Downmat TT9 (I have some images somewhere... found these on a search). The individual tubes are replaceable, just pull the mat, replace the tube with the leak. Repair next morning.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/hendri...n/photostream/

Exped 1400 Waterbloc
    Exped 1400 Waterbloc.JPG

Costco Down Throws airing out
    IMG_0020.JPG

Costco Down Throws deployed, notice that the torso portion is released to be flat laying. Just stand with the seat against your back legs, grab the hammock and sit down, and slide backwards. It helps to have the slippery down throws laid down on the sleeping pad, to ease sliding backwards. Tricky because the firmness of the lay is softer than some might wish.
    IMG_0142.jpg

I have the spare down tube kit which has three tubes filled with down. One concern is that in order to maintain the highest insulation for warmth, you have to have the tubes filled with maximum air pressure. You cannot place in chair mode, but if you can manage to get in, you will sleep in glorious self generated heat.
    Last edited by joe_guilbeau; 01-23-2024 at 06:02.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 5
    Tarp
    Free Soldier
    Insulation
    fjol winterlight
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll try to put a couple of these into action for our next freeze, especially for foot warmth. That seems to be my biggest hurtle.

stevebo
    I'm from Sulphur, about an hour west of Lafayette. Me & mine will be moving to TN in the next several months & I too will miss the cajun food of my heritage. It's THE BEST FOOD IN THE WORLD & that's the hill I'll die on!

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 5
    Tarp
    Free Soldier
    Insulation
    fjol winterlight
    joe_guilbeau That last pic, is that what you're rocking? That thing must be super comfortable, looks like something European royalty would go hammocking in!

Shug I'm a big fan of your antics & youtube channel, been watching for years now, thanks!

Images
    [QUOTE=Chautime;2095948]joe_guilbeau That last pic, is that what you're rocking? That thing must be super comfortable, looks like something European royalty would go hammocking in![COLOR=#006633][COLOR=green]

All three images are of the Amok 3.0, the cinch straps are adjustable for a 100% Flat lay, or the foot box can be cinched tight to have a chair lounge mode, it is a bit crowded in the 'hammock lab' due to the tripod set-up (dual crinkle cut tablecloth DIY hammocks of Gold and Crimson) just aft of the Amok 3.0.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I've got a synmat 9 in my draumr, and I've been fine down to about -14c (i stack 2x CDT diy quilts)

when it's colder than that, I've used a wide wool quilt underneath me, mostly to help absorb drafts around the shoulders

• + New Posts