Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Wise Owl (for now)
    Insulation
    HangtightNaturhike
    Suspension
    Straps and DIY UCR

Considering a larger hammock for a better diagonal lay. Seeking advice.

Hi, folks! My current hammock is an ENO Junglenest. It's 10' x 58" (I think this is different from the original) and at 5' 10" tall I don't get a great diagonal lay in it. I'm considering upgrading size and wonder which is more helpful: to get a longer hammock, or to get a wider hammock?

I am considering saving up for a Warbonnet, but in the mean time I saw a ridiculously low priced 10' x 6' (aka 72") hammock for $25 that I'm tempted to try just to see if the extra width would help.

Before I spend any money - what do you all think? Would increasing width help even if it's still 10' long?

Thanks
    New to hanging!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Wise Owl (for now)
    Insulation
    HangtightNaturhike
    Suspension
    Straps and DIY UCR
    Another option may be that I should shorten the interested ridgeline for a looser hang. Any thoughts on this option? I recall Shug using a small caribiner to do this in one of his videos.
    New to hanging!

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    My opinion,
    Even being wider the material is still being gathered together at the 10' point, which makes the hammock material a foot away, or even two, from the end is still pulled together and not using that 72" width very well.
    I would rather have a longer hammock and then be able to use the width better.
    Then it comes down to adjusting the amount of sag in the hammock (adjustable ridgeline) to make use of the width since it's a big part of how diagonal you end up.
    It's also why I have trouble w/ the netted hammocks I've tried, I can't usually get as diagonal as I like w/ their fixed ridgeline.
    And 72" is way wider than I use and I like wide hammocks. I like more in the 60"-64" width and I'm 6'.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    I've slept in my old 10' Blackbird for years. I always thought it was plenty comfortable, but a bit claustrophobic. I recently bought a Hammock Gear Standard 11' hammock (58" wide) just to test it out. Call it a $50 experiment.

I was pleasantly surprised, maybe even amazed, at the difference. It felt much roomier and was so easy to flop into a flat lay without struggling. It is also a symmetrical hammock, so for the first time I could try sleeping head right/feet left, and I think I like that better.

Experiment was so successful I went and ordered a Dream Hammock Wingspan, since we all know you really can't have too many hammocks.

Cheers.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Wise Owl (for now)
    Insulation
    HangtightNaturhike
    Suspension
    Straps and DIY UCR
    Thanks, y'all! That's 2 for 2 suggesting length more than width. (Plus one for trying tighter ridgeline).

I'll save the $25, then, and look for 11' options while experimenting with my ridgeline.

Also might pick up a loose bugnet. I didn't enjoy trying to adjust my underquilt with the integrated bugnet, so this is probably a double-win.
    New to hanging!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeCD View Post
    Thanks, y'all! That's 2 for 2 suggesting length more than width. (Plus one for trying tighter ridgeline).

I'll save the $25, then, and look for 11' options while experimenting with my ridgeline.

Also might pick up a loose bugnet. I didn't enjoy trying to adjust my underquilt with the integrated bugnet, so this is probably a double-win.
    I really like going back to 10' hammocks on the Superior Gear but use 11' hammocks on all other brands. Started with a 10'...went to 11'...now kinda back to 10' at times. We wear our hammocks. Like clothing there are a lot of variables to find your comfort nirvana.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    Wise Owl (for now)
    Insulation
    HangtightNaturhike
    Suspension
    Straps and DIY UCR
    Thanks, Shug! Maybe I can do more with my ridgeline for sag before I buy anything new. Cheers!
    New to hanging!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeCD View Post
    Thanks, Shug! Maybe I can do more with my ridgeline for sag before I buy anything new. Cheers!
    If zips are on both sides of your bugnet you can used to doing it. Nothing is 100% perfect in this hammock quest.....

Last edited by Shug; 01-16-2024 at 17:18.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    Wise Owl (for now)
    Insulation
    HangtightNaturhike
    Suspension
    Straps and DIY UCR
    Unfortunately zips are only on one side (but can wrap around). The zipper ends are buried under fabric (sturdy construction) so I can't add more zips. I'm also considering that a non-integrated bugnet would work with multiple hammocks which seems handy.
    Last edited by MikeCD; 01-16-2024 at 19:20.
    New to hanging!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Wise Owl (for now)
    Insulation
    HangtightNaturhike
    Suspension
    Straps and DIY UCR
    Shug, thanks for the video! That was definitely helpful (as is the discussion here).

I might be giving ENO too much credit when I said that maybe this hammock is updated. They list it as a 10' hammock, but laying it flat and measuring end to end is just under 9' - I'd call it 8' 10".

I'll still experiment with shortening the ridgeline (it's static but maybe I can replace it with a homemade UCR), but maybe this isn't the ideal length for me.

I'm currently considering the Simply Light Tree Runner, the Warbonnet El Dorado, the Hennessy Leaf Lounger, and the Dream Hammock Freebird (leaning towards Simply Light and Dream Hammock because budget and I love cottage industry makers).

Thanks again everyone!!
    New to hanging!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast