gathered end dutchware
    Tarp
    hennesy hex
    Insulation
    AHE new river
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Spring hiking question for my New England friends

Being new to the area, mud season and bug season are pretty new to me. I am used to hiking in the south which is much more moderate. We also don't have much to deal with in terms of snow runoff.

Obviously, every year is different. If you were to speak in generalities, though... what advice would you give to someone wanting to hike and camp on the AT in NH and VT starting April and May?

I don't want to be ankle deep in mud, but if that's part of the life up here I'd like to learn how best to deal with it. Gaiters? My boots are already waterproof.

As far as the bugs go, they will be anywhere near water, and I'm assuming if I can catch a breeze at my site they can help keep them at bay a bit, as can camp fire smoke.

I'm open to any other suggestions!

Hammock
    DIY MTN 1.7 11' x 62"
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Becket to CL
    Bring less food / protein. I have not been during that season in a long time, but remember it well. If you don't bring a fine head net you will consume enough bugs to match the protein in a few bars.

The gnats can actually come out of the mud so they are not isolated to water sources. They only place I find them worse is dusk near a salt marsh, after dark they seem to calm down.
    Lurker for years here - Trying to increase my post count so I can sell one of my hammocks.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 deg UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Hi, You are likely going to find snow on the ground and possibly deep especially at the higher elevations in the Whites and the Green Mountains (NH and VT) in April and May. I have hiked in the Whites on Memorial Day weekend and been up to my knees post holing through the snow into the "trail" below which at that point was more like a small stream with water coming from the snow melt. Bugs will persist well into the summer where ever you are so just get used to it. And of course they are worse in some places than others. Welcome to New England, come to one of our hangs!!

• + New Posts