Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Looking for the most comfortable lay-flat hammock (up to 3,5 lb)

Hey there.

Im looking for a new hammock for the jungle expedition.
    In tropical climate I used to use DD Frontline hammock, however I can't stand it anymore - gathered end hammocks are simply uncomfortable for me.
    Then I discovered bridge hammocks.

Currently Im thinking about:
    Warbonner Ridgerunner
    Eno Skylite
    or maybe some other company/model?
    I do not consider Haven hammocks because their weight is absolutely unacceptable for me.
    Anyway, which do you think is "the flatest"? I went trough multiple reviews but every reviewer says something different.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    If possible, camp with other hammock campers, either backpacking or car camping. Then maybe you can try out different hammocks.

Or if, after research, you buy a hammock, but after camping in it a few nights, you decide it’s not for you, then you could sell it and get back some of your new purchase price.

Some have tried gathered end hammocks and did not like them. Sometimes they purchased gathered end hammocks that were too short.
    In my opinion, a comfortable gathered end hammock could be 11 to 12 feet long, and 5 feet wide, up to a width of 6 feet.

Countless people over here on this side of the pond have made a short hammock their first purchase.
    This has turned many of them away from hammock camping altogether. Short hammocks are sold everywhere here in US—Walmart, Cabellas, Bass Pro Shops, and even REI. The shelves at REI are covered with short hammocks. To REI’s credit they did stock one gathered end hammock that was 11x5

Good luck on your search

Well buying and sending back hammocks will be problematic, as many shops are from US and other things like sending used stuff is not always ok here.

I think I'll keep looking for lay flat hammock, thanks

I checked out this: https://dutchwaregear.com/product/ba...al-outer-layer
    but the person in the picture doesn't look like lying very flat :P I remember considering that hammock, but frankly speaking it looks least flat of all models I saw

Hammock
    Banyan Bridge or Haven
    Tarp
    Dutchware Xenon
    Insulation
    LocoLibre, UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    I like my Banyan. Best I can tell the "flat" of most of these hammocks is the shoulder squeeze not head to toe. The Banyan def. doesn't squeeze my shoulders but certainly not as flat as the Haven (which would be a beast to hike with).

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Yes “problematic” shipping back to US vendor. I was instead thinking, using hammock for two nights, and then if it’s not what you want…sell at reduced price to another hammock camper in your locale. Someone might get good use of your hammock.

Images
    Mark "Spiguiver" has some perspectives on bridge hammocks. He has had 4-shoulder operations I believe.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double and Haven XL
    Tarp
    Some rando.
    Insulation
    Varies.
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    Maybe look into the Haven Tent XL. I have one coming but havent had a chance to try it out yet. I sent my original standard size back because it just looked too narrow, on paper, for the way I sleep. Should be here Tuesday. You can buy without the tarp if you plan to use your own and save $35. https://haventents.com/products/haven-xl

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StorkPL View Post
    Well buying and sending back hammocks will be problematic, as many shops are from US and other things like sending used stuff is not always ok here.

I think I'll keep looking for lay flat hammock, thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Yes “problematic” shipping back to US vendor. I was instead thinking, using hammock for two nights, and then if it’s not what you want…sell at reduced price to another hammock camper in your locale. Someone might get good use of your hammock.
    Yep, that(returns) would be a pain for you, no doubt. Maybe selling them after trying would be easier.

I have had great success with a war bonnet ridge runner, but even more so (just based on more experience over more years) with the various JRB Products/bridge Hammocks. I have been particularly fond of their current James River model but only weighs 18 ounces counting the spreader bars. And I always have an easy time insulating any of these bridge hammocks either with under Quilts or pads. Using either the JRB shorter Greylock or full length MW under quilts has always worked perfectly for me with never a cold spot. And of course, the usual bridge benefits of no calf Ridge and flat lay. But, both JRB and WB are over here, so it is not convenient for you to just try them out. Same for a couple of other highly esteemed brands, though I can not yet speak about them from personal experience.

Another approach is the 90º hammocks. I have one called HammockTent 90. It is very different, and I love it. And it was made somewhere in Europe I believe. But, they are out of business for a while now. However, I think there is a German company that makes a very similar hammock. I can't remember the companies name. It is quite expensive, however.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast