gathered end dutchware
    Tarp
    hennesy hex
    Insulation
    AHE new river
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

MA group hang trip report

After fiddling with an UQ at home yielded marginal results in colder temps, I decided it would be best to get some trained eyes on my gear. We were forecasted for a winter storm, but I figured.. what better way to prove myself as a transplant to New England than a winter hang?

After a short hike by a beautiful river (which I plan to fish come spring), I found two trees and set up my hammock. This was the first time using whoopie slings and I found it ridiculously easy. With the help of a new friend, I got my UQ set up, then my tarp. I was still nervous as the night went on that I would still be cold. Night time lows were forecasted to be in the low to mid twenties, with potential for gusty winds, so I set up behind a thicket of trees hoping my site selection could at least block some wind. My tarp does not have doors, and I didn't check the weather to see which direction the wind was coming from, which I should have. Thankfully, there was little wind this night.

There was good banter and much interesting conversation around the camp fire, which was a massive one. The trip organizer brought a cord of wood, which he used to cook a hunk of meat on a spit, using a set up with pulleys and counter weights that you would have to see to both understand and believe. We all sat in our reflectix lined chairs talking about everything and nothing all at once. The forecast varied wildly throughout the night, ranging from a foot of snow to 15 inches. As the sun tucked behind the horizon and the first of the flakes began to fall, we gathered around to enjoy the pot luck. After a massive feast, we sat around the fire chatting away again.

I had the opportunity to check out several cool rigs. Some had typical GE hammocks, others brought bridges. I got to see my first cuben tarp and even learned a new knot for rigging out stakes. One by one, the great campfire-to-hammock slumber migration began. Three of us remained chatting until 10 pm. I retreated to my warm nest of comfort, immediately finding myself in a space of (oh my god so this is what I've been missing). I downloaded a movie and also brought a book. Oddly, I found myself just wanting to close my eyes and ignore my phone.

I got up perhaps twice (or was it thrice) during the night, to find a winter wonderland enveloping everything around me, including my tarp. Of course, everything under my tarp was totally dry, as was I. I awoke for good at 6 AM, not wanting to get out of my nest. In tent world I'd be up before daybreak, just to stretch out whatever knots and kinks came from sleeping on a pad.

Some kind soul had rekindled the camp fire that morning. After a short lived reunion, we began packing up our gear to prepare for the treacherous drive ahead. The storm was bearing down on the highways and interstates. Not many plows had been heard through the night. I said my goodbyes and set sail back to NH, confident that I would be hanging between two trees many, many more times.
    Now I need to figure out to do with these tents in my basement

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Great woodland hammock camp in snow, is grand start for New Year

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Sounds like a fabulous hang! Sometimes, only sometimes, i miss the snow. That quiet winter sceene, before the plows come and before you have to drive anywhere, is so wonderful.
    Glad to hear that your quilts worked as they should. It really makes a difference.

Charlotte

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    Sounds like a fantastic meetup!

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Outstanding! Sounds like it could not have gone better for you. My family thinks I am slightly crazy for seeking out bad weather to hike and camp in. I call it luxury camping; less people, no bugs, quiet, warm, comfortable.

Really glad it went well for you.

• + New Posts