gathered end dutchware
    Tarp
    hennesy hex
    Insulation
    AHE new river
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

backpacking and site selection

(It would not allow me to post in the backpacking subforum).

When selecting a site for hammock camping, how do you determine if a site will be suitable? Obviously if you can camp out on the leeward side of a mountain, that's a bonus. And cold air sinks, hot air rises, etc. But in terms of practical trip planning, what else do you do to ensure you'll have the best chance at a good night's sleep?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I check for widow maker dead branches above hammock. Sometimes I will hang under a dead branch if it looks like it will hold on to tree for a few more nights. When a dead limb crashes onto my carcass, if it doesn’t kill me, I’ll be much smarter.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    I also try to confirm that my trees are alive— that can be tricky this time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    A few general rules of thumb for me:

1) Select a site that is not low in a hollow or adjacent to water (higher chance of condensation under the tarp)

2) look for area with limited underbrush so I’m making a low impact and don’t risk tears in my UQ

3) Check for widow makers or dead limbs

4) choose trees the appropriate distance to get a 30 degree hang angle - generally 15’ (pace off or stand between trees with trekking poles extended in each hand)

5) Check for direction of prevailing wind and try to orientate myself in parallel if using tarp with doors (less surface area exposed to wind) or perpendicular if using tarp pull-outs to stabilize tarp

6) camp near natural wind breaks like boulders, dense shrubs, off leeward side of ridge line, etc.

7) pick a site with a view whenever possible!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If there's a chance of rain - see if you can find trees with fewer branches or trees far enough apart so your hammock/tarp are mostly "in the clear", out from under the tree. The reason is, in the morning, when it stops raining, it will still be raining on you because of water from the branches.

I experienced this many times in my tent days. I'd setup under a tree canopy because it would provide some shelter, and it did. But when the rain stopped, and other people's tents, set up in the clear, were drying out with the morning sun, I was still experiencing the drip, drip, drip from the tree branches.

So you might want to use a compass to check the direction of sunrise and see if you can orient your setup so you catch the earliest morning sun (to start drying out any condensation).

I would put "view" last on my list because when I'm in the hammock, it's sleep time. And it's easy enough to walk over to the view. One time I put "view" first and paid for it with much more "weather exposure" than anticipated.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    SLD 10' MTN 1.2
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistytee View Post
    A few general rules of thumb for me:

1) Select a site that is not low in a hollow or adjacent to water (higher chance of condensation under the tarp)
    2) look for area with limited underbrush so I’m making a low impact and don’t risk tears in my UQ
    3) Check for widow makers or dead limbs
    4) choose trees the appropriate distance to get a 30 degree hang angle - generally 15’ (pace off or stand between trees with trekking poles extended in each hand)
    5) Check for direction of prevailing wind and try to orientate myself in parallel if using tarp with doors (less surface area exposed to wind) or perpendicular if using tarp pull-outs to stabilize tarp
    6) camp near natural wind breaks like boulders, dense shrubs, off leeward side of ridge line, etc.
    7) pick a site with a view whenever possible!
    I often setup camp late in the evening, sometimes in the dark. There is nothing worse than envisioning a bumper crop of poison ivy under your hammock. The more common pest in the campsites I frequent is plants with prickly thorns that could create a nice pin hole in your gear.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    In order of what I should look for: Wind breaks, widowmakers, ~15' trees, close-ish to water source but at least 200' away.

How I almost always do it: ooooh this spot purdy, look trees, no widowmakers phew, too close to water I'll do better next time, dang trees are 20' apart I'll get a rock to get straps high enough

Hammock
    DIY GE 12’ Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    CDT Gemini DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopi slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    In order of what I should look for: Wind breaks, widowmakers, ~15' trees, close-ish to water source but at least 200' away.

How I almost always do it: ooooh this spot purdy, look trees, no widowmakers phew, too close to water I'll do better next time, dang trees are 20' apart I'll get a rock to get straps high enough
    This 100%.

Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    If there's a chance of rain - see if you can find trees with fewer branches or trees far enough apart so your hammock/tarp are mostly "in the clear", out from under the tree. The reason is, in the morning, when it stops raining, it will still be raining on you because of water from the branches.

I experienced this many times in my tent days. I'd setup under a tree canopy because it would provide some shelter, and it did. But when the rain stopped, and other people's tents, set up in the clear, were drying out with the morning sun, I was still experiencing the drip, drip, drip from the tree branches.

So you might want to use a compass to check the direction of sunrise and see if you can orient your setup so you catch the earliest morning sun (to start drying out any condensation).

I would put "view" last on my list because when I'm in the hammock, it's sleep time. And it's easy enough to walk over to the view. One time I put "view" first and paid for it with much more "weather exposure" than anticipated.
    If you’re on a ridge trail like the AT, then most great view sites expose you to weather extremes. They’re fine when it’s warm, though. They tend to be in notches and on exposed hillsides, which channel high winds.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Yeah. You do; you learn. You try not to repeat.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast