Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If you have a cold spot when the rest of your quilt is warm, I'd say that is almost certainly an air gap. I had the same issue with my synthetic quilt. I solved it by essentially lifting my UQ. I think Paul at AEQ is right, it just needs to be lifted. I'd be very cautious about overtightening it. My UQ had the same issue, it had a cold spot near the legs and I solved it by installing loops at the corners and lifting it using shock cord to my ridgeline. My overall suspension is not very tight.

As insurance for your group hang, take your sit pad and be prepared to use it on your butt at night. Yeah it's a band aid for now, but at least you can be warmer.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    First - just so we are talk'n about the same things ...
    Primary suspension - this is the line/bungee/shock cord that runs the full length of the UQ (through channels at the side) and connects to each end of hammock or hammock suspension.
    Secondary suspension - no all UQ's have this. It's purpose is to give lift at the ends and runs from the end of the UQ to the same Primary attachment point. I have them both with the same S-Biner.
    End Cinch - the bungee at the end of the hammock that tightens/clusters the end opening around the hammock

Couple of things ... one post said not to make the end cinch too right. They weren't talking about a left/right lie, it was a typo suggesting to make the end cinch too tight. It looks good when you are out of the hammock, but it assumes a parallel lie position. Because you'll be at a sight diagonal, your feet/shoulders may push out a little on the sides, and that can create a gap if the end is cinched tight. You want it loose enough so it can better shape to the body in the hammock - but not too loose.

Also - check the UQ description (or check with the vendor) for the words "differential cut". Many down UQ's, but I'm not sure about synthetic, are cut fuller on the bottom so you can suspend them snugly against the bottom of the hammock without worrying about compressing the down fill. Shug's video shows his suspension is so tight it lifts the hammock when he is not in it.

There are numerous ways to provide lift. One vendor makes a triangle thingie that is attached to suspension lines near the ends and adds lift. DutchWare and a plastic piece with two "horns". It fits over the hammock ridgeline at the end of the hammock; the suspension lines are held up on each side by the horns and are then connected to its usual anchor point. Some people have used clips (bulldog) to run a line from one side of the UQ over the ridgeline to the other side (often bungee is used rather than fixed line).

Though it is "one more thing", I use an under quilt protector (UQP) -because
    1. I am switching UQ's and Hammocks, I don't have one, just right, setup.
    2. I often don't have a volunteer to be in the hammock so I can check it from the outside - or someone who knows what to look for to have a proper fit.

The UQP, allows for a little sloppiness in the setup. But if you have a hammock/UQ pair that always works together, you can set them up just right. I'd still use a UQP, but that's just me.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 01-04-2024 at 21:04.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12