gathered end dutchware
    Tarp
    hennesy hex
    Insulation
    AHE new river
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

yet another UQ question

I have a full length Arrowhead underquilt that I am using with my GE hammock. Everything is warm for me except just a little cold spot in my butt. I'll be going to a group hang this Saturday so I'm hoping to get things squared away there.

I've checked to make sure the head and foot end aren't over tightened. My wife looked at each end while I was in the hammock and didn't see any gaps or any sag in the hammock.

I have my primary suspension up pretty good, I think 5 inches above hammock height is a good starting point.

For reference my UQ is 15 degrees and my TQ is either 20 or zero.

Trip 1 was 39 degrees and I was of course warm.
    Trip 2 was 25 degrees and a little windy. I was warm except for my butt. And by warm I don't mean toasty, I just mean I wasn't cool or cold in any of those areas.

I have ordered the "triangle thingies" from AEQ and I believe I read something somewhere about using prussiks and running the suspension through that area first before going to the gathered end loop... but I'd want to see pictures or a video before trying.

I contacted Paul at AEQ and he thinks that it's probably just the UQ not lifting up enough since the cold spot is only in one area.

I also have an UQ protector, if that's of any help.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Is it synthetic or down filled?
    If down filled then try migrating your down to where you need it like right under your buttocks.
    Also tighten main suspension of the UQ. It should lift your hammock way up without you in the hammock.
    Try putting it in the dryer to fluff it up.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    gathered end dutchware
    Tarp
    hennesy hex
    Insulation
    AHE new river
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    She’s a synthetic one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Upgrade up that primary! You can't adjust an UQ by measuring and looking at it won't help much either. Have your wife put her hands between the quilt and the hammock, when she feels a cold spot have her tighten the appropriate suspension line until it goes away. Be careful with the cinching the end to right on a synthetic UQ as that can create gaps.

Hammock
    gathered end dutchware
    Tarp
    hennesy hex
    Insulation
    AHE new river
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Ah so more primary suspension. I was being careful not to overtighten it because I didn’t want to tear the quilt.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    About the worst that will happen is it might slide off your shoulder. If that happens loosen it slightly until it stays in place

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I also use to fear over tightening an underquilt. But there’s a difference between tight and overtight and in my experience it’s a big one. Cinch it up a bit more and give it another shot!

Hammock
    gathered end dutchware
    Tarp
    hennesy hex
    Insulation
    AHE new river
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Just a couple of follow-up questions: should I feel just not cold or should I definitely feel a lot of warmth? For below freezing temperatures, should I be totally warm without having to bundle up with a down jacket? And is there a way to tell if the primary suspension is up too high?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chansta View Post
    Ah so more primary suspension. I was being careful not to overtighten it because I didn’t want to tear the quilt.

I can't imagine how you would tear a UQ by tightening the suspension... at worst, the shock cord would break, or maybe any plastic suspension hooks, but you would have to have it super tight to start with. You can sense how snug the UQ is and whether there are any air gaps by lifting up on each side of the UQ while lying in the hammock.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chansta View Post
    Just a couple of follow-up questions: should I feel just not cold or should I definitely feel a lot of warmth? For below freezing temperatures, should I be totally warm without having to bundle up with a down jacket? And is there a way to tell if the primary suspension is up too high?

It all depends on the ambient temp, the wind, the temp rating of your insulation, how your body deals with the cold (which can change depending on fatigue, hydration, hunger), and whether you are a cold or warm sleeper.

Remember, a quilt doesn't create heat. It just slows the rate at which it is lost. So, if you are cold when you climb in, it will take longer to build up that heat.

Although it can be nice to feel "toasty," in my experience that leads to excessive perspiration later at night. It isn't fun to wake up soaked in sweat, as that will definitely make you cold.

I try to match my gear with the expected conditions and tweak the set-up up to deal with the actual conditions. The only way to know how to do this is by experience.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast