Newbie query Insulated tarps?

New to hammocks; still making my first one. But I have a question about top insulation.
    It may not be applicable to hammocks but a few times when base camping for ski touring I have added a synthetic blanket over me tent under the third layer/ secondary fly as it helps keep the tent inner warmer and really reduces condensation.
    Given that I'd be using an open ended fly and not sleeping in conditions much around freezing temperatures does an extra insulated layer do anything major in coolish weather?
    Not any ultra light stuff, mainly as an adjunct to my car camping set-up.
    Also I'll be using a combination of the synthetic overquilts I had custom made by Nunatak and one of my S2S Traveller bags used as quilts so good there to below freezing. Just an idle wondering as I have read about people using poncho liners draped over the top of the hammock in addition to quilts but under the tarps. If this is used I am assuming that it would go over the hammocks integral ridge line and not in contact with the waterproof tarp itself
    Learning slowly and a lot to learn

I've not hammocked in really cold weather but have camped in a tent down to around -28C. Not sure what you mean by the "third layer/secondary fly" but I've always had my insulation *inside* the inner part of the tent (assuming the standard inner tent + rain fly configuration).

Some people put a light tarp over their IRL but that's mainly to keep the wind off and you need to take care that you don't knock any frozen condensation from it onto your insulation.

Most would simply "stack" their top quilts, so slip one inside the other and then get into the inner. Providing the outer quilt is big enough it won't compress the insulation of the inner one. Rough formula for guestimating the combined rating is (in Celsius): R1 - (21 - R2) where R1 & R2 are the ratings of the two quilts. Have a look at Shug's videos on stacking quilts plus some of his deep cold trips - seems like it gets a bit nippy in Minnesota!
    Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry - Viking proverb

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Wide Rectangle
    Insulation
    Jacks r Better zip
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    Yes you can definitely put a blanket over your ridgeline to help trap in heat. Some companies sell top covers, which are big net replacements that are solid with a couple of vents for condensation.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    An insulated tarp sounds ineffective, heavy and unwieldy. Exactly what is the insulated tarp insulating? If weight is no object, then just toss a wool blanket over the ridgeline.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

[QUOTE=Bob-W;2094883]I've not hammocked in really cold weather but have camped in a tent down to around -28C. Not sure what you mean by the "third layer/secondary fly" but I've always had my insulation *inside* the inner part of the tent (assuming the standard inner tent + rain fly configuration).

Bob my winter tent now [ an old one] is externally framed, I've almost always tied an extra tarp of LW fly over it when base camping to give me UV protection, but when I added an old poncho liner under the added layer I found it gave me excellent protection from condensation and when using a candle lamp inside it seemed to me to be much warmer.
    I've never had to remove the third layer in a storm but if the wind got much above 100kph I'd probably do that. I think I may have got my terminology wrong, it was placing the insulating layer over the hammock ridgeline I was thinking of, so not really a "tarp" more like a "Peapod" where one end of the PL would be gathered slightly?

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    So something to wick moisture? Shug uses a frost bib in some of his videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n06cgAMNec

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    When car camping, in freezing weather, might help to drape a king sized comforter over hammock ridgeline. Still would need to use under quilt rated for temperature that night, and a top quilt too.

If you have a tarp with doors that can be closed, that is a plus. Also a wider tarp that can extend down below hammock—close to ground.

Some larger rectangular tarps can have corners folded inwards for makeshift doors.

I have used HotHands hand warmers in below freezing weather to raise the comfort level for me.

I wear wool neck gaiters, balaclava, toboggan and fleece hoodie over all that. If my head is warm…at least I can think I’m warm….Lol

Under quilt after setup. Can be pulled in front of hammock. Hammock and under quilt are parallel and still attached. With under quilt in front of hammock…bottom of hammock should be six inches higher than bottom of under quilt-along their entire lengths.
    Then put under quilt back under hammock
    This might help reduce air gaps-cold spots

Also do not over tighten short ends elastic cord—this causes a horse shoe shape—and cold air gap!

I need to re-calibrate suspension cords on my zero* under quilt. If you get cold, but don’t die…you will be smarter!

• + New Posts