gathered end dutchware
    Tarp
    hennesy hex
    Insulation
    AHE new river
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

first ever overnight hammock trip

I've been playing around with hammocks since 2015 when I came across Shug's videos. Last night was my first ever night in a hammock (solo) in the woods.
    It was short as far as trips go. I wanted to make sure I was in a familiar place just in case, as the weather around here can be a little unpredictable at higher elevations. The weather called for no rain and a low of 39. My one and only UQ is rated to 15, so I figured I'd be nice and toasty with the option to vent if need be.

The hike in was pretty relaxing. This time of year there are hardly any folks on the trails. I saw not a soul northbound and southbound. I was venturing to a shelter I had been to before, although I stayed with a tent the last time. I remembered the sites being pitched with roots and rocks, so I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to try a hang and take advantage of not being on the ground for a change. In my 40s, I just don't sleep well on a pad any more.

Prior to this trip, I'd set up my hammock, messed around with tree length and suspension, and all the ins and outs, so there was plenty of practice. As I approached camp, I was getting a tad nervous with only an hour of daylight left. Would I find the right trees? Although the weather called for no rain, I wanted two trees in an open enough area that I could set up my tarp just in case.

When I finally arrived at camp, I was elated to find there were numerous hanging options. I ended up picking two trees that were closer together than I would have liked, but after some tinkering, I got my angles set up. When I was feeling confident, I set up all of my other gear. I only had about 45 minutes of daylight left.

It did end up raining, and I was glad I took the time to seam seal my tarp before heading out. Man, was it nice to be high and dry and know that all of my gear was going to stay dry under the protection! Also, can I just say how amazing it is to kick off an UQ and put your shoes on to go to the bathroom, vs having to roll over on a pad, crouch, unzip your vestibule, zip it back up, and repeat? Huge!

Although I don't know for sure how well I really slept on this trip, I can tell you it was a far sight better than sleeping on a pad. I woke up a couple of times snoring myself awake, but I'll need a little practice getting my side sleeping down. I have several hammocks, and one is an extra wide, so this should help solve the problem. What I will remember most from this trip was how hard it was to get out of the hammock. I didn't want to get out at night and even after making coffee and other chores in the morning, I ended up getting right back into the hammock.

I'm excited to continue along my quest. Now I'm left wondering.. is there a place on this forum where I could go out with hangs in the North Eastern US? And 2... tips for side sleeping?

Thanks for reading.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I find that I don’t need to get into my side until 5-6 hours being in one position, on my back. I will kinda do a 3/4 turn to my side which eventually ends up being a 1/4 turn combo with a figure4 sort of thing. I’m a side and stomach sleeper at home, so plenty of body memory to deal with for me, but you have to learn to ignore it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Heck yeah!

I'm a side sleeper as well and definitely lost some sleep at first startling myself awake because I'm on my back snoring. Shug has some videos on side sleeping and it's easy enough to get over on my side, but I always felt like the fabric would naturally roll me back over onto my back anyways, so I've taken to just biasing myself slightly to one side of the flat spot so I'm ever so slightly not flat on my back (maybe 1/4 way to the side) and using a pillow to rest my head on to the side. That seems to work best for me to not be startled awake snoring and I find it extremely comfortable. The foot end of the hammock also has to be way higher than I initially thought to really get to the right sweet spot.

It took me a few longer trips to really get used to sleeping in the hammock. I still have the problem camping, especially in the winter, where I go to sleep earlier than normal and sometimes wake up fully rested at 3 am and lie awake in the hammock just long enough to be sleepy again right around sunrise.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    There are some experienced hammock campers in Northeast US. They sometimes post on some recurring threads about their plans to get out on trails in state and national forests.
    They post on Hammock Forums, but my memory is not good.
    Keep looking, they are a good group of hammock campers.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Love reading a report like this. Way to go.
    I do have a side sleep video. But you may find that you will end up back sleeping in a hammock. Time will tell.
    Enjoy the hammock quest.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    gathered end dutchware
    Tarp
    hennesy hex
    Insulation
    AHE new river
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Love reading a report like this. Way to go.
    I do have a side sleep video. But you may find that you will end up back sleeping in a hammock. Time will tell.
    Enjoy the hammock quest.
    Shug

I watched this video prior to my outing and tried it out in the back yard. Looking back, I think my foot end needed to be higher. My feet felt like they weren't all that flat, but at least they were plenty warm!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    Sounds like a successful first trip! This forum is a good place to try to find North East meet-ups: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/.../112-Northeast

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG Economy
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    That's great. The first trips are fun since that's when you learn the most. I still haven't figured out if I prefer head left or right so it's nice to have a symmetrical hammock. I'll end up trying to side sleep in both directions throughout the night.

• + New Posts