Amok and Haven sleeping pads - any issues?

I've used inflatable pads in the past and have tried to write them off just due to the old ones (20ish years) were terrible, easily popped and did not repair well - i was also in boy scouts and probably wasn't easy on it either way, i have a bad taste for inflatable sleeping pads.

I have a hammock i bring camping for relaxing only and haven't slept in it yet, my wife got me a Tensa Solo for Christmas so i'm thinking about buying the rest of the gear (UQ and Bugnet) and testing out my hammock for camping in, but i'm a stomach sleeper most of the time and in the times i've relaxed in a hammock i've tried to go to my side/stomach and was't really very comfy.

I'm wanting to get an AMOK or a Haven, but as they require the inflatable pads, i'm a bit leary... has anyone had any issues with either brand's offerings have any issues? eg, lamination or whatever it's called, splitting, any unrepairable holes, etc.
    i'd love to get a hammock tent/bridge hammock that i can bring my egg carton style foam pad, but i haven't found any good ones that have good side storage (unless you gus know of any?)

Images
    With the Amok 3.0 and FJOL pad I can fall asleep on my back, because the 'cant of lay is adjustable with air pressure and forward/backward positioning to angle feet/head positions higher or lower. Each sleep is slightly differing so lots of adjustment ranges accommodates differing terrains/views/airflows.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've never had a problem with the pads provided with each and have been able to stomach lay but I am not a stomach sleeper. Egress much easier on the Haven in my opinion.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Awesome! Appreciate the insight!
    now to save for that hammock....

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I bought an amok draumer xl 2 months ago and have spent a dozen or so nights in it so far. (Fjol sleeping pad). I weigh 250 lbs, and was concerned about the durability of the sleeping pad. (Kind of a big deal since the draumer is pretty much unusable without a pad). I am happy to say the fjol pad is built extremely well and seems very durable. I am very happy with it!

As far as entry and exit with the amok draumer, I had trouble at first, but finally decided left side entry works best for me, and after much practice its really easy for me- almost second nature!
    Last edited by stevebo; 12-28-2023 at 19:16.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Buckle webbing
    Any experience with how warm you stay in the Haven? Another comment (different thread) said the pad didn’t offer much insulation.

cheers,
    B

“Start off slow, and then ease up.” ~ Tasmanian boatbuilder’s proverb

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 5
    Tarp
    Free Soldier
    Insulation
    fjol winterlight
    I bought the Amok draumr 5.0 & (so far) it's been the best overall sleep I've ever had outdoors.
    Be warned, there is a little bit of a learning curve with this sleep system.

1) Getting in can be challenging at first. Experiment & watch a few vids to see which is the best way for you to enter. (I back up to it while straddling the pad, then slide in)

2) If you get up in the night for bathroom, snack , etc. make sure to secure loose things so they don't fall out. (I'd recommend draping your sleeping bag or quilt on the guyline & maybe have a hook system for your pillow to attach to.

3) Most important, you must get a pad! This system is designed to work ONLY with a pad. You can use different kinds (just make sure to check specs on what it needs) but I'm using the Amok brand, fjol winter light & am impressed.

I've had this system for 2-3 yrs & it truly is the most comfortable sleep I've ever had outdoors. I grew camping in wild places in tents, by fires, by river, in the mountains etc. but it was always uncomfortable to me as I'm a light sleeper+ I toss/turn a lot.
    With the amok I can toss/turn all I like, even lay on my stomach!
    I'm not sure if any system is perfect or w/out flaws but the amok is pretty darn close. If you're thinking of ordering one, get the right size for you. I'm pushing the limit on their reg size & I'm 6', still comfortable but I probably could've gone up one size more.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Personally, I think the Amok Fjol is a higher-quality pad than a lot of similar offerings from Exped or Big Agnes, in my experience. I've used it on ground in addition to in the Draumr. I got the UL setup, so that the Fjol I got too, and it's had around 30 nights on it with zero issues. It's R-value rating is pretty high I think, and it's been quite warm in my experience. YMMV.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    i'm a dedicted stomach sleeper, so the draumr was about the only option for me

exped synmat 9 has been very comfortable for me, inflated as fully as I can get it

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double and Haven XL
    Tarp
    Some rando.
    Insulation
    Varies.
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    I have seen one person on here say that he has issues with his Haven pad not holding air. I just got mine a few weeks ago, and have ha it strung up in the back yard since I got it. Its been through some pretty extreme temperature shifts here lately, but has been holding its air fine. I have not slept in it yet, but have laid in it quite a bit, here and there. No issues other than the air expanding and contracting with the temperature fluctuations. It definitely gets "less full of air" as the temperature drops overnight, but by the afternoon it feels full again as the air expands with the rise in temperature. Just like a car tire and isn't specific to just the Haven pad. I cannot really say if the Haven pad reacts in this way any more or less than other pads, as I have only used one other in my time and it does the same thing, but it is much thinner and therefore, more noticeable. I would imagine the difference in pad "deflation" over night would be less if I were sleeping on the pad , as my body would warm it up and so the air wouldn't compress as much by morning.

• + New Posts