Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DIY DoubleDecker ultralight pillow

Hi everyone
    After quite some time learning a lot about hammock camping from this forum I would like to share an idea I had. I hope it can be useful to other people.
    I've been hiking and tarp/tent camping for many years. At some point I transitioned to UL backpacking and while then I always used a bunch of clothes inside of my stuff sack (and occasionally a very light inflatable pillow). It's always worked fine but since I started hammocking, even though these two things worked fine, I started to wonder if I could find something more comfortable and still very light. Also, I wanted something that I could use both in my hammock (thinner pillow) and while sleeping on the floor (thicker one). So that is how I came up with this idea:

The DoubleDecker UL pillow. The idea is simple. It is a light and thin pillow with another "pocket" underneath where you can stuff clothes (or whatever you want) to make it thicker but keep the fluffiness on top. While in the hammock I'll use it as it is, and if I need something bigger I'll just put some of my clothes inside the pocket.
    I've used leftover materials that I had from other projects. But basically, light fabric with light pillow filling material. I also added a velcro/snap button to the pocket to keep things in place. Made two of them. A smaller one with three different pieces of fabric. Final result: 11.4"x6.7" (29x17cm), 1.18oz (33.5gr)
    A strip of fabric that I folded in three and then sewed (much easier to sew): 12.6"x8.6" (32x22cm), 1.94oz(55.2gr)

I leave some pictures. And would like to know if anyone has any suggestions to improve it. What do you think? Any suggestions?

IMG_20231222_104824.jpg IMG_20231222_104909.jpg IMG_20231222_105110.jpg
    IMG_20231222_105806.jpg IMG_20231222_105829.jpg IMG_20231222_105844.jpg

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Nice work, and great idea. I used a loop of elastic cord with a mitten hook to attach to the structural ridge line to keep the pillow from always slipping down under me when I get in or out of the hammock.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Yes, so helpful!!! that's what the little loops are for. Also you can use them to keep it in place in case you are sleeping on the ground and just use some sock-cord to tie it under the sleeping mat

Hammock
    DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    Yeah man nice work. I did the same thing with one of my pillows with a hook to the ridge line works great
    Its a good day to be out in the woods no matter the weather.Mist One..

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    That looks sharp!

Another vote for some elastic cordage to tie to the ridgeline. Really helps with keeping it out of the way when you need it to be.

Images
    Very inventive- thanks for sharing. One hint-if this is machine sewn you might get a neater stitching by using lighter weight thread (voice of experience here).

Images
    Unless you will only use this in a hammock, if you were going to add a loop to attach an elastic, I'd add the loop to both ends of the pillow. Then you can attach shock cord to both loops to keep the pillow strapped to a sleeping pad on the ground.

Nice job, btw.

Thank you everyone for the feedback and the ideas!
    Quote Originally Posted by slugbait View Post
    Very inventive- thanks for sharing. One hint-if this is machine sewn you might get a neater stitching by using lighter weight thread (voice of experience here).
    Thanks for the advice and I should try that in the future. The green fabric is so thin and light that it can be a bit finicky getting the stitches right with my (very) basic sewing machine and my skills. I will have to keep on practicing!

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Unless you will only use this in a hammock, if you were going to add a loop to attach an elastic, I'd add the loop to both ends of the pillow. Then you can attach shock cord to both loops to keep the pillow strapped to a sleeping pad on the ground.
    Yep, totally agree, two loops better than one. In the green bigger pillow those are the two white elastic straps (may not look like loops but they are)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by colibris79 View Post
    Yep, totally agree, two loops better than one. In the green bigger pillow those are the two white elastic straps (may not look like loops but they are)
    Lol, apparently I'm a bit dim today because not only did I miss those in your photos, I also missed that you mentioned exactly the same thing about strapping the pillow to a pad in your post #3.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Nice idea- thx!!! I will be making one soon for sure!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast